Topic: Upgrade your server before steam

Enough said.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Re: Upgrade your server before steam

Yea you might need more than your Pentium 4  to run the server for steam.   Huge lag spikes already..

The lag is horrible, creeping lagfest, chatlags and weird sluggish lag when more than 10 players try to pvp.  This server is NOT steam ready at all.  I can only imagine how the steam people will run off after a week of this lag.

won't they shut down gamma islands with steam release?
AFAIK that will free up some serverpower.

after all, its not just "one" server... its one server per x islands.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I don't really care about the specification details, all I know is theres maybe 300 accounts online and the sh*t is dragging like a dead cat over the road at peaks. Can only imagine what its gonna be like if any significant number of steamlings show up.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Be cool and edgy, get yourself an agreement with a cloud service so that you can quickly turn more servers on when you need them.

Alexander wrote:

Be cool and edgy, get yourself an agreement with a cloud service so that you can quickly turn more servers on when you need them.

Imagine the way they have things setup they can't move zones without restarting one of the servers. So realistically they would have to use downtime to put less zones on the same instance. Sounds nice, but it won't work as well as designing everything to run in the cloud from day one.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Imagine the way they have things setup they can't move zones without restarting one of the servers. So realistically they would have to use downtime to put less zones on the same instance. Sounds nice, but it won't work as well as designing everything to run in the cloud from day one.

I know this. I was just trying to seem interested in the subject.

There is a huge bottleneck at the moment in the game when more than a few 100 people are on the same server.
It should have been thought about from the beginning and a server/land/continent system developed that could handle dynamic load.

Are you sure there is no more pastry on the server node?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

The bottleneck isn't the server hardware - it's the same hardware that handled 900 people just fine, save a few HDD replacements and RAM upgrades every now and then.

The code, however, has changed considerably over time, and sometimes things break somewhere down the line; in the last few months we haven't had enough people to cause these sorts of bottlenecks to propagate all the way to lag. Rest assured since we probably want a good Steam launch as much (or more) than you do, things will be fixed and lag will be reduced.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

... things will be fixed and lag will be reduced. smile

watch this space! cool

“I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.”

DEV Gargaj wrote:

The bottleneck isn't the server hardware - it's the same hardware that handled 900 people just fine, save a few HDD replacements and RAM upgrades every now and then.

The code, however, has changed considerably over time, and sometimes things break somewhere down the line; in the last few months we haven't had enough people to cause these sorts of bottlenecks to propagate all the way to lag. Rest assured since we probably want a good Steam launch as much (or more) than you do, things will be fixed and lag will be reduced.

As of this post the game is unplayable and the lag is upwards of 19k-20k. and that's with maybe 50 people at most.
Not looking good.

And here we go again.

Lag in several thousands ms with like ~100ppl being online, not good sad considering that the steamlings will arrive in 4 days...

Something's up with our ISP again, we're trying to check it.

Your ISP wasn't reliable for the past 3 years. It won't suddenly start being reliable when game launches on Steam.

16 (edited by Jasdemi 2014-04-19 15:11:23)

<double post>

17 (edited by Jasdemi 2014-04-19 15:11:34)

<triple post>

18 (edited by Jasdemi 2014-04-19 15:11:49)

<quadruple post>

lol.... ISP is working as intended tongue

Really tho they seem to be a bit of a joke.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Yup, just imagine how it might turn out with the steamlings.  I recall how it was when the EVE players came en'masse!  That was fun.

Change ISP and find the code issue. big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

+1 to every post in this thread.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Jasdemi wrote:

<quadruple post>

DAMN!

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

24 (edited by RedKGB 2014-04-19 22:17:15)

Need to light a fire under the hamsters or buy a snake and put it behind the wheel.

[16:03:43] <Mara Gossep> syndic.....and get your *** spy out of our corp

Plug in moar potatoes