Topic: Movement speed is SLOW- whats the deal?

I played the game a couple years ago, came back when I heard about my 2 lifetime accounts. My first thoughts on returning was the same as when I first played - WHY IS MOVEMENT SPEED SO SLOW? I play sandbox games like darkfall, mortal online, and am an active eve player so I'm use to slow gameplay, but with perpetuums movement speed it seems gameplay is slower than even Eve Online. I'd gladly quit eve if this game was focused on being faster pace with its wsad and cover but if my bots move that slow then whats the point of all that. I envisioned a game like eve but where you can peak in and out of cover to avoid damage but at the speed these bots go I dont really see that being a gameplay factor at all.

Slower gameplay than eve? I don't get it, can anyone explain why?

Re: Movement speed is SLOW- whats the deal?

Actually it is faster than 2 years ago. Navigation extension was removed and everyone got lvl 10, so that makes a difference for new players. Not sure when highways were added that also makes it faster. Mobile teleports was reduced in price and used much more to move around.

Spark teleport same as Eve clone jumps, was also introduced and you get much more TP targets (clones) than Eve, in a much smaller world.

Eve is also equally slow getting to pvp areas can take 10-30 jumps whilst here is just an island or 2 away. What Perpetuum is missing though is the instances Eve has, which actually makes it easier to get on with what you want to do mining/ratting or missions. Whilst transports, hauling from one point to another remains equally slow.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Actually it is faster than 2 years ago. Navigation extension was removed and everyone got lvl 10, so that makes a difference for new players. Not sure when highways were added that also makes it faster. Mobile teleports was reduced in price and used much more to move around.

Spark teleport same as Eve clone jumps, was also introduced and you get much more TP targets (clones) than Eve, in a much smaller world.

Eve is also equally slow getting to pvp areas can take 10-30 jumps whilst here is just an island or 2 away. What Perpetuum is missing though is the instances Eve has, which actually makes it easier to get on with what you want to do mining/ratting or missions. Whilst transports, hauling from one point to another remains equally slow.

Spark teleports and mobile teleports sound like they solve some problems with getting your corp in one place but I would never want to roam around for pvp at the speed these bots move. I also have no will to go and look for good pve spawns moving that slow. Game must be designed for people that have nothing better to do than watch their robots slowly walking for hours on end.

If you make a game this dull and slow you end up with a small community of players like Ville. Steam won't change that.

i concur with highways making things faster.
last time i had played, going for a highway took almost exactly the time then just moving straight across the terrain to my target zones. mission areas.
The highway to PoI layout are designed in a way that makes the highways useless decoration in most cases. There are a few exceptions, but even those, have unreasonable "holes", slowing you artifically down (eg. when you travel from tellesis to attallica.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

T4 Lightweight Frame is mandatory for anything besides sitting in one place and tanking damage, Brow.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

6 (edited by Cassius 2014-04-04 20:46:18)

Edit:

smile

Sundial wrote:

T4 Lightweight Frame is mandatory for anything besides sitting in one place and tanking damage, Brow.

Admittedly I havent spent enough time in game to try t4 lightweight frames. Thanks.

Should it be required to have moderate speed in a game? Mortal Online has similar problems with new characters being very slow and its never been able to have a good population.

I think many new players will have the same opinion on the movement speed being slow, and a good % probably wont stick around for very long.

8 (edited by Sundial 2014-04-04 20:56:24)

Brow wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Admittedly I havent spent enough time in game to try t4 lightweight frames. Thanks.

Should it be required to have moderate speed in a game? Mortal Online has similar problems with new characters being very slow and its never been able to have a good population.

I think many new players will have the same opinion on the movement speed being slow, and a good % probably wont stick around for very long.

There have been many topics and discussions about this. In my opinion, mandatory modules are bad. Some people disagree. Ultimately, the devs have higher priorities than addressing module ballance at the moment.

I hope they take your feedback into account because I know for certain you are not alone in thinking the game is slow by default.

EDIT: typo + clarification

9 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-04 21:16:11)

Speed is all relative to the size of the game world. Ultimately you can lower speeds enough to have all on 1 island and feel the same size as it is now.

Point is with 1 Island you could have stuff to look out for and do, every 100m or so. The speed issue vanishes as you are being entertained even if its slower. This is Just to make a point, I don't want 1 island though.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Speed is all relative to the size of the game world. Ultimately you can lower speeds enough to have all on 1 island and feel the same size as it is now.

Point is with 1 Island you could have stuff to look out for and do, every 100m or so. The speed issue vanishes as you are being entertained even if its slower. Just to make a point I don't want 1 island though.

I think the problem here Celebro is that the average new player wont see see the game at T4 LWF speed before leaving. Even with Navigation removed, Brow made a thread about it.

Sundial wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Point is with 1 Island you could have stuff to look out for and do, every 100m or so. The speed issue vanishes as you are being entertained even if its slower. Just to make a point I don't want 1 island though.

I think the problem here Celebro is that the average new player wont see see the game at T4 LWF speed before leaving. Even with Navigation removed, Brow made a thread about it.

My thoughts being that if you are being entertained whilst walking through the game world, speed has little consequence, to enjoy the game.

Yes I think speed should not depend on how much EP or NIC you have, so standard bot speed should by default be made around the t4 frame speed. Remove the highways, and let as set out own path with a speed boost that requires accumulator to run.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

and let as set out own path with a speed boost that requires accumulator to run.

helps allot when youre not on maxed accumulator extensions.
did you check how long it takes to recharge a completely dry accumulator on basic extensions.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

All the tricks I could think of:

http://sequer.nl/wiki/Travelling

14 (edited by xXPhantomFenix 2014-04-05 10:47:29)

Content per metre^2 is too low. Rookies must cover a large area to satisfy their thirst for blood. Speed then comes into the equation.

It's a PITA for Industrial as well with Ore Spawning seeming to go out of its way to avoid Mag lines and outposts. Add in some invisible walls, the slow nature of Bots like the Termis, you often need two hours just to get logistics set up to mine even basics like Titan.

I don't usually log out in the field but it's looking mandatory here for the harvesting Sparks.

Movement has been an issue in this game since forever. All I can say is, Standard teleport beacons are your friend. They cost 50,000 nic each, and they're really really useful.

I personally would like to see a module or ability to teleport to a terminal ON ALPHA. Charge up time like a teleport, half hour or 1 hour cooldown. Kid falls down the stairs? No problem, hit the button and you're back to the terminal and can rush him to the hospitial.

The Speed is my number one problem with this game. I would drop EVE and play this if they made the speed at least twice as fast.

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

Travel has needed a rethink for years. I am sure they'll get to it eventually.

19 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-04-05 23:23:51)

I totally agree with this, and I think this is a big turn off for many new players. The EP-thingy they have at least "solved" with boosters. Standard teles takes to long to activate. Maybe lower the timer on them with 1 minute, and increase all bots speed 25% and you'll have some happy new and ol players. tongue Shouldn't take to much time to tweak those numbers in coding.

25% incraese in robot speed will make light ewar bots on max-speed fits running to fast for the server to handle wink

(past experience when they could run 160kph+)

Increase all base bot speed, lower effect of LWF.

22 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-04-05 23:43:00)

Annihilator wrote:

25% incraese in robot speed will make light ewar bots on max-speed fits running to fast for the server to handle wink

(past experience when they could run 160kph+)

They need to upgrade their servers either way. So might just as well hit "two flies in one strike" and do it both.

As a start they could amp up mag strip bonus. 135% to 150%. A few minutes here and there adds up.

Ioci wrote:

As a start they could amp up mag strip bonus. 135% to 150%. A few minutes here and there adds up.

proof me wrong, but the highway boost is a straight 36 km/h bonus, no %

Speed is a problem because they removed the extension for it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."