Re: Mining balancing

Alpha mining       -33% yield overall

done

That just makes macros less efficient.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Perceptor wrote:

Alpha mining is *** overpowered compared with beta right now.

I would suggest we do the following easy changes:

• Alpha 1 mineral spawns are no more than 5m in size -1

• Alpha 2 mineral spawns are no more than 10m in size -1

• Alpha 1 and 2 spawns increased in number to 15 -1

• Beta spawns of all minerals increased to 80m in size -1

• Alpha 1 stations are nerfed Arguably OK

• Alpha 2 stations are nerfed to alpha 1 levels Arguably OK

• Industry aura's on beta increased in strength to give 30% benefit Arguably OK

This should make alpha mining ok for small corps and individuals but make larger corps living there struggle exponentially. It should also decentralize the alphas.

Under the current dynamic spawn mechanics it would make little difference to if Alpha mining spawns were smaller. As soon as one is depleted another one pops up. Yes, this would make it more tedious and require more time in locating new mining spots, but overall little change in potential mining capacity.

Gunner's idea about reducing yield, thus slowing mining is more effective and to the point for thos wanting a nerf.

However I disagree entirely with any Alpha mining nerf, despite worries of muti-accounts and easy-mode mining.

FOR GODS SAKE LET THEM *** MINE!!! It will only reduce the cost of minerals and free those of us who hate mining from ever having to do it again.

This game needs a vibrant economy more than anything else on the economic front and carebears do in fact provide economy. Why the hell do you want o 'make it harder' to mine on Alpha. You will NEVER EVER force people to play on BETA if they don't want to go there ...never. Some may be incentived for better yields, but they are few and far. And you still don't have EPI on Alpha.

Production, however should be buffed on beta to encourage more people to want to control outposts. More PvP yay! And carebears can still feel safe all docked up and cozy.

It makes lots of difference if they are smaller. One guy can afk 60m liquizit in total safety without moving right now. 10 guys can do it a lot quicker with the same hauling trip. Splitting this up causes less afk, more movement and makes macros more difficult.

If alpha 1 mining is as good for end game players as for new people you have the following effects (as proven in eve and the current server)

- people won't buy minerals if they can mine their own in total safety and large numbers
- mining as a profession will pay badly for new players due to the low volume traded and low prices
- people won't resource gather on beta making stations worth less and pvp based around capture the flag rather than territory control

Leaving alpha mining as it is will harm builders and miners as their efforts will not be cost efficient in relation to missions or ratting.

This is NOT about forcing everyone to beta but about making medium and up sized corps considerably less efficient if they do their industry on alpha. This would encourage these corps to take and hold stations in order to gain that efficiency promoting territory control based pvp rather than capture the flag.

It should also be noted that some of these changes used to be on the server and when they did most established corps did their mining and building on beta. It's only after successive beta nerds that this changed.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

- people won't buy minerals if they can mine their own in total safety and large numbers
- mining as a profession will pay badly for new players due to the low volume traded and low prices
- people won't resource gather on beta making stations worth less and pvp based around capture the flag rather than territory control

1. People will buy them more because it will be much cheaper. When player start mining less price will go up again.

2. It will actually be higher volume trades at low prices

3. No matter how much you nerf alpha, most players only want a safe place to mine most of the time. This is a beta issue, with more players it will be safer to mine on beta. Remember the Norhoop days with arkhe's watching tp? More players/corps will make beta much safer.

RIP PERPETUUM

Because historically Perpetuum has done so well for itself only appeasing the PvP crowd.
Because 95% of EVE's subs are not in high sec.
Because beta isn't the only place you can mine epriton.

Oh Wait.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

This...

+2

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

33 (edited by Syndic 2014-04-16 22:14:36)

Im ok with fields on Alpha being as big as they're now.

I dislike the current instant-ore-respawn mechanic though, it nullifies a reason to control more then 1-2 islands.

The old system where ore gradually refilled over time was much better. It was removed because newbies doing the defunct tutorial couldn't mine the titan ore. Now we have a virtual island -> bring the old system back in.

Alpha liquid ore prices are x2-x3 cheaper then non-liquid counterparts because it's just so macroable in perfect safety.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

You are right Syndic.

Instant ore re-spawn is like entering an instance island that spawns every time you scan and get everything you want. It adds nothing to the game in terms of 'I am taking this spot later some else will need to look on another island'. Mining does not effect the world in anyway, but before it did.

It's quite worrying that each island can support an infinite number of players all the time. Let me stress out 'all the time', because whatever time it is no matter how many players are mining you are going to find a spot to mine what you need on that island, no player is going to make a difference.

RIP PERPETUUM

Why would it force players to Beta? Buy it off the damn market if you don't wanna go to the PVP areas.

If ore fields refill over time, it's only natural for Beta/Gamma corps to base their mining industry out in the world which will ease up the logistic pressure on these corps and provide PVP opportunities for everyone.

While ore fields are infinite nobody will mine anything other then Epriton on Beta and Colixium on Gamma. Everything will be mined Alpha-side because it is instant, 200% safe, and infinite. Might as well grab some botting software and let it play itself in the background.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

The old system where ore gradually refilled over time was much better. It was removed because newbies doing the defunct tutorial couldn't mine the titan ore.

That wasn't the reason actually. The reason was that it made geoscanning practically unnecessary.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

The old system where ore gradually refilled over time was much better. It was removed because newbies doing the defunct tutorial couldn't mine the titan ore.

That wasn't the reason actually. The reason was that it made geoscanning practically unnecessary.

Aight, fuzzy memory. I remember a lot of screaming about newbie titan being mined.

You got the server-side statistics - you should know where all the ore is being mined. We can put every player and every account in the game on just 1 island, and they would be able to mine enough ore to satisfy all of their needs.

When you wipe gamma, why would anyone want more then 1 gamma island? There is no economic or industrial need to EVER own more then 1 island, the biggest alliance can exist on 1 island exactly the same as the smallest corp can.

That's just plain wrong IMO.

CIR Complaint Form

Zoom ~~~ > Area scanning charges need to be removed wink then all will be well.

I would hope that in the really "long view" of the game there will be more minerals like colix on gamma, delta, omega islands ... in the long run that would be good it will make the current alpha minerals more balanced because they will not constitute 90% of the needed minerals required to build mechs and mods.

^^ time will prove this case^^

but for now I do not see any problem with the current state of mineral fields. the more people that play this game the better and mineral availability is key to the success of new players in small corporations. Too many large scale mining corporations like AIC and the world will be bare of minerals in days with out instant respawns wink.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Syndic wrote:

When you wipe gamma, why would anyone want more then 1 gamma island? There is no economic or industrial need to EVER own more then 1 island, the biggest alliance can exist on 1 island exactly the same as the smallest corp can.

Not sure that is a bad thing. The more powerbases the better. Tighter quarters means more conflict I'd imagine.

Only issue I have within mining is the conflict with static NPCs. But I guess anyone who wants Infinite Mining limited would see the Static NPC issue as at least some small breaking mechanism to the current infinite minerals.

If any chnage is decided with the infinite mineral supply I would hope Devs at least take a slow balancing approach, and not one day wake up and turn the whole system completely upside down 'because xxx since forever'

the amount of ore you mine should be determined by the amount of time you want to spend mining it, not on whether or not some other corporation has mined it all off the island. If you want to increase the size difference of fields from alpha 1 to alpha 2 to beta to gamma, that's fine.

But I personnaly think mining wont be as great when the server is full of people mining. I hate mining with other people. I mine by the field and I go to the most remote field I can find and mine the whole thing out. If I had stupid newbs trying to mine my field in their termises, *** up the lines of my miners, it would drive me insane. That alone may be enough to discourage alpha mining. That and having red spawns pulled on to you....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

What about removing the faction minerals to beta and gamma only? Too harsh on the miners? It seems like they are used in such small quantities anyway, that it wouldn't really hinder much production but may make them more valuable and spice things up...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Decreasing alpha field sizes seems wrong, however instant respawns also seems wrong as might as well just have 1 static infinite field of each type, surely fields should increase in size from alpha -> beta -> gamma, with perhaps a delay between respawns once they're completely mined out?

43 (edited by Shadowmine 2014-04-17 01:23:03)

There actually is a delay already, just not sure how long. I think its pretty short. But if someone is a miner and plays this game to mine, they should always have the ability to log on and do so. Period.

Edit: And there already is a difference in the size and color of mineral fields from alpha to beta to gamma. It would just be tweaking it some more.

There should be some tangible benefit to mining on gamma or beta rather than alpha (aka 100% immunity to death).

Alpha 100%

Beta 125%

Gamma 115%

something

46 (edited by Burial 2014-04-17 10:56:47)

Gunner wrote:

Alpha 100%

Beta 125%

Gamma 115%

something

There's already industry aura on Betas and Gammas if people choose to use it.

My idea would be more fragmented fields of smaller in size, therefore there is more need to move around on alpha than pvp areas, but with an overall boost to mining all round, in conjunction with a a reduced threshold of ore per island just slightly higher on betas and gamma.

So smaller but more abundant fields, that has a cool down to respawn every few days. With a mining buff. This will improve chance there is a field available without NPCs as there is more choice, also everyone should be able to mine anytime but may need to change move island form time to time to do so, that's what I had to do when I started, if I wanted a specific ore.

RIP PERPETUUM

48 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-17 12:06:54)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

I thought you said it was done due to the nature of terraforming on gamma, and static fields did not make much sense there. I agree still the way it's balanced there is still infinite supply.

RIP PERPETUUM

You could run a thousand man corp on an alpha 2 producing everything in the game in total safety.

Every corp in the game mines on alpha.

This is not risk vs reward nor balance.

If everyone can use it equally is it not balanced?

Jita wrote:

This is not risk vs reward nor balance.

I think you guys are making an issue where their is none. resource supplies need to be available to people to produce items.

Epri & Colix can already be limited by forces ensuring miners can mine on the betas and gammas. If there were such a force that could lock them all down at once, which there is not. 

You can move even more minerals to be beta / gamma only but that will only make items cost more for everyone.

limiting resources only gives more power to larger Corporations in the end because they will have the ability to mine / harvest thoes minerals faster than other smaller corporations or even solo players.

we need to attract players to play the game .. how does limiting minerals accomplish this?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.