Topic: Jet Packs, or Some Form of Faster Movement

The thing that bothers me most about this game is how long it takes to get anywhere.  I purpose all robots be equipped with a jet pack or booster of some sort, allowing 2-3x faster movement.

It could have some sort of charge up time of 5-10 seconds, use a burst of accumulator, and be deactivated if you take damage.  You would also not be able to target anything or use any equipment when it is active.

There could also be a cool down period after it is deactivated before you could use a teleport or enter a terminal and a cool down after exiting a terminal or after teleporting.

I think the long travel times is something that is going to hold people back from really giving this game a try when it hits steam.  You shouldn't be spending as much time traveling to and from an assignment area as you do actually completing the objectives.

2 (edited by Rage Blackout 2014-04-04 11:54:12)

Re: Jet Packs, or Some Form of Faster Movement

maybe Dragon mounts

with two heads

and a Candy thumb to suck on

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Thanks for the constructive feedback...

Rentar Covakel wrote:

welcome to the forums of veterans commenting on topics that have been discussed for several YEARS now wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Honeslty, what needs to happen is less sucky Highways and Teleport connectors.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Just wait till they get to a Telaport that don't go anywhere.           cool

Annihilator wrote:
Rentar Covakel wrote:

welcome to the forums of veterans commenting on topics that have been discussed for several YEARS now wink

I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything, maybe I was looking for the wrong thing.

Anyway, are all the veteran players really ok with how long it takes to get anywhere?  I'm not saying that it has to be my suggestion, but there has to be a way to travel around faster.

Right now I'm spending about 1/2 my time playing just traveling to where I need to go.  Am I just playing wrong, or do a lot of people just suck it up and consider it part of the game?

search for topics about speed, spark teleporting, highways or jumpjets.
you should find plenty.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

9 (edited by Burial 2014-04-05 00:21:11)

Press Shift and gain 50% speed boost but at the same time consume a chunk of accumulator every second.

Some vets think walking around is fine, some don't.

You can use

lightweight frames,
velocity nexus,
numlock key,
double click on a spot on terrain,
press "w" twice quickly,
shift+right click on radar,
or even press both mouse buttons at the same time.

Not sure which of these you know about.
They will either increase your speed, make your bot run, or move you to a location.

I am personally in the camp of vets that think travel sucks.

some vets know instant travel or ultra fast travel isnt balanced with 36 islands

and those vets would be correct

other vets are lazy and want everything spoonfed to them

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Burial wrote:

Press Shift and gain 50% speed boost but at the same time consume a chunk of accumulator every second.

Instead -

Just spin the camera and win the game   ;P

13 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-04-05 01:30:33)

The telleport & Highway Networks on the Alpha islands needs to be redesigned so make travel on those islands faster & in locations that make sense.
Beta islands I think are fine as is tho Beta 1 islands could do with some highways.

Gammas need to have player built Highways.

It would also be cool to have an "overdrive" or something like that (call it what u may) that provides a short term boost in speed to bots.
I think to help balance it out: make it burn thru cap. Make it scale with mech weight, so that smaller bots get more of a boost than mech & HM. Maybe have it effect your ability to mask / decrease your masking value when activated.

just some quick thoughts on the subject smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Travel in this game is just like everything else in this game. You get better at it and it gets easier as you gain nic, ep and knowledge. It does suck early on though....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

The telleport & Highway Networks on the Alpha islands needs to be redesigned so make travel on those islands faster & in locations that make sense.
Beta islands I think are fine as is tho Beta 1 islands could do with some highways.
just some quick thoughts on the subject smile

I think this is a good idea.  If there were better highway lanes to missions, it would help a lot.

How about some Toll Roads with the new Currency?

Or long range Toll Teleports that insta you across the map.

Yeah baby, cha-ching

Cassius wrote:

Some vets think walking around is fine, some don't.

You can use

- lightweight frames,
this means you are sacrificing 30% or more of your DEFENSE to be able to get somewhere in a reasonable time.
you also sacrifice one of your legslots, in case of many bots, thats half of them for a minor speed incrase.
you also need a T4 LWF to get a noticeable speed boost on a fully fit robot, and the lower tier ones also had higher penalties ontop of that.

velocity nexus,
The Nexus needs a T4 and high extensions, together with a good bit of accumulator and other fitting costs. the Speed increase is negliable compared to the sacrifice when its not used for a whole group that is T4 LWF fit. Doesn't help a single player running missions.
numlock key,
double click on a spot on terrain,
press "w" twice quickly,
shift+right click on radar,
Autorun only helps running straight lines, Autopilot doesn't work in populated areas.
or even press both mouse buttons at the same time.
doesnt make you faster.
Not sure which of these you know about.
They will either increase your speed, make your bot run, or move you to a location.

I am personally in the camp of vets that think travel sucks.

it would have already helped traveling if they had implemented ICS/Asintec/TM NPCs traveling from terminal to terminal/teleport back and forth. faking a living world and allowing to just follow them.
different versions (sequer, lithus, scarabs) would allow to have targets with similar speed as anything you will ride.