51 (edited by Ville 2014-04-02 18:24:17)

Re: Conserns / Predictions

Like a Beta Terminal in the middle of the island?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

52 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-02 18:45:13)

Ville wrote:

Like a Beta Terminal in the middle of the island?

Basically that's what I mean yes.

Of my head add 5-6 Saps far of the terminal  so you need to commit to a fight, each saps controls the terraforming and building of bases. So enemy can just take 1 sap to control x amount of land but not the terminal. To place terminalyou need to take more than 50% of saps or something along these lines.

RIP PERPETUUM

The way SAP's are structured is pretty damn *** to be honest.

The outpost should become "locked" at 100 and require attackers to sign up to an intrusion old school style to knock the station into the current mode when saps pop up every 10-16 hours. While at a 100, deposit all current "sap income" into corp hangars.

GG

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Its almost like nothing has changed in the past two years roll

It really hasn't, thats true. I'd even say nothing has changed in the last 4 years.

CIR Complaint Form

New research system is probably the best change in past two years.

Syndic wrote:

It really hasn't, thats true. I'd even say nothing has changed in the last 4 years.

Of my head, I have 3, Intrusions , random mining field and scarabs. big_smile

Gamma does not count because its way back to the drawing board. lol

RIP PERPETUUM

Sometimes losing a station in eve is as good as losing all your stuff in it.  I don't think the problem is with stuff being destroyed as such.  In fact being able to blow up structures imo is a massive selling point for the game and something that makes the victor feel like they've really accomplished something.  Taking a station in eve is a rather underwhelming experience.

The reason that losing a station in eve doesn't usually seem as scary is that you almost always have a chance to jump your stuff out with a jump freighter/carrier*.  Since realism isn't really important here (we already have reinforce mechanics) perhaps gamma terminals could have a limited safe-storage section.  When the terminal is destroyed, the contents of this storage would be teleported (maybe damaged as well) to another terminal.
Alternatively when a terminal gets blown up, items could be teleported, destroyed or dropped at random.
It seems to me that it would encourage risk taking if people could have lots of stuff out on gamma but not have to risk losing ever-single-thing they have.

*As a side note, eve's cyno mechanic doesn't seem to be something that most players actually like and I am not saying that it's a good thing to copy.

+1
-Confucius

Funny I always equated Gamma terminals with EvE POS. And Null stations with Beta Outposts.

As far as Gamma and POS ... Both have structures connected, both blow up, both have full loot drop (after damage)
I don't think it should change.

Syndic wrote:

The outpost should become "locked" at 100 and require attackers to sign up to an intrusion old school style to knock the station into the current mode when saps pop up every 10-16 hours. While at a 100, deposit all current "sap income" into corp hangars.

GG

Signed for justice.

Old intrusions were awesome. New are OK but need the big set piece battles.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

downloading client now - but after reading most of the 60 posts above i have to think that this is a mistake

it seems nothing has changed for the PVE player since i left about 6 months after launch (later than most "care-bears" did after it was obvious the devs were only interested in PVP)

so, nothing was learned from the PVE/soloer exodus so long ago?

I remember getting up at 3:15AM for fleet form up at 4:00AM and in place across the map by 4:45AM for a 5:30AM SAP and having a 45 min to 2 hour battle before going to work.

There's lots of new pve stuff tbh, artifacts, beacons, the mission change.

Its just merkle who's a whining ***.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:
Syndic wrote:

GG

Signed for justice.

Old intrusions were awesome. New are OK but need the big set piece battles.

Old intrusions had their problems (5am fights) but were so much better than the new system

Riggsville wrote:

downloading client now - but after reading most of the 60 posts above i have to think that this is a mistake

it seems nothing has changed for the PVE player since i left about 6 months after launch (later than most "care-bears" did after it was obvious the devs were only interested in PVP)

so, nothing was learned from the PVE/soloer exodus so long ago?

Cool story bro, join to PHM and be a Soloist here.

Ville wrote:

I remember getting up at 3:15AM for fleet form up at 4:00AM and in place across the map by 4:45AM for a 5:30AM SAP and having a 45 min to 2 hour battle before going to work.

I remember the battle of initial, the *** on karapyth and the scurge of Nauwy. There were giants in the land in those days.

I think a lot of *rose colored glasses* are going on here. The old intrusion system was dumb. I know you remember M2S signing up to every intrusion for weeks and weeks and never even showing up. It might not be great the way it is now, but IMO it's better then the old system. And people *** about the old system a lot which is why they changed it anyways. Having the fate of your station on the hook every 3 days for a 1 time shot when the enemy outnumbers you doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Smokeyii wrote:

I think a lot of *rose colored glasses* are going on here. The old intrusion system was dumb. I know you remember M2S signing up to every intrusion for weeks and weeks and never even showing up. It might not be great the way it is now, but IMO it's better then the old system. And people *** about the old system a lot which is why they changed it anyways. Having the fate of your station on the hook every 3 days for a 1 time shot when the enemy outnumbers you doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I wouldn't pretend that there weren't problems with the old system and it needed changes, I think everyone agreed with that at the time, but the new system basically got rid of any chance of decent fights and didn't add anything remotely useful or interesting.

Smokey am Happy someone is actually remembering it as it was...

There are still big fights, at around when the station is about to flip, or if the players really want the OPs in the first place.   

The big alliances will hate this system, the small guys will love it.  As your stations increase your work load goes way up as well.   I dont see this changing anytime soon, when you look at in objectively.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Smokey am Happy someone is actually remembering it as it was...

There are still big fights, at around when the station is about to flip, or if the players really want the OPs in the first place.   

The big alliances will hate this system, the small guys will love it.  As your stations increase your work load goes way up as well.   I dont see this changing anytime soon, when you look at in objectively.

I remember it fine, probably the most fun I've had in Perp was defending Brightstone from SovNov under the old Intrusion system.

I'm not sure what you imagine this changes for the 'small' guys (except SAP loot), but I don't see it. I guess it gives some opportunities for harassment, but not actual PvP, just messing with SAPs which is pretty boring for both sides.

uhhhh I saw more than a few people trying to save Xiantor....

They all died though

Ville wrote:

Celebro there hasn't been a real gamma base wiped off the map that was actively defended.  When I mean actively I'm talking more than the one or two try hards who didn't want lose what ghosts of the past already left.

1.  Merkle brings the server to novaya.  He's defeated.
2.  TOG base rick rolled, two, three try hards.
3.  STC first base on Davis Rick rolled, little defense.
4.  Dream base rolled, 2/3 defenders by Chaos.
5.  Imediro seiged by chaos was defeated by actively defended players.
6.  Bergers defended twice.
7.  Bergers fell on third attempt and langhrum when everyone stopped playing.  One or two try hards attempted defense.
8.  Landers fell 3-4 people tried to defend it.
9.  Maoshan base fell cause no one played.
10. Bluemon attempted defense but due to lack of pvp knowledge failed miserably.
11. Xiantor had a couple try hards defend it failed.
12.  Langhrum hardly anyone defended.

All the bases fell for one reason, no one could be asked to defend them.  It is a harsh reality to think of it as all or nothing.  But Gammas favor heavily the defender.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Also there were a lot more active players back when we had the old system.

The thing I don't like about the new system is how easy it is to keep an outpost away from 100% (full bonus) stability without ever threatening to take it.

Lets cut the devs some slack though, its hard to design a sov system that does everything you want it to do.  CCP is still struggling with it.  Having said that, I still think they are intentionally trolling us with the specimen processing sap big_smile

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Also there were a lot more active players back when we had the old system.

The thing I don't like about the new system is how easy it is to keep an outpost away from 100% (full bonus) stability without ever threatening to take it.

Lets cut the devs some slack though, its hard to design a sov system that does everything you want it to do.  CCP is still struggling with it.  Having said that, I still think they are intentionally trolling us with the specimen processing sap big_smile

There were more players, but don't forget some left specifically over this change.

And yeah thats my major problem with it, that it promotes ninja SAP taking, etc where the whole point is not to actually fight.

I would like to cut them some slack, but its one of a number of things that have needed adjusting but haven't been. It seems like there has been next to no balancing of anything combat related for 2yrs or so, and that makes me sad

I can agree on the balance related issues within PVP.

Detection is messed up, shields are still out there, Ewar is still unbalanced.

Intrusion system I dont see as a pressing issue tho, it "works", where as other things need attention right now, just have never gotten it.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

75 (edited by Syndic 2014-04-04 03:25:54)

EWAR is very balanced. Shields are countered by Ictus/Troiar. Detectors are countered by Maskers.

There's nothing that counters that random dude from waiting for a time-window to hit a SAP every 10-16 hours when nobody is online. Its bound to happen, and having to reset the correct aura every few days is a PITA.

CIR Complaint Form