1 (edited by Bluff Butler 2014-03-28 15:14:47)

Topic: Teleporting NPCs

Hi, I'm a returning Player but still pretty new at the game, I was mining some Epitron on Beta with 2 Termis, All of a sudden zap, NPC teleported on my head from nowhere, wasn't on radar nor landmarks, in fact no other bots apart from my own were on landmarks, this has happened several times now, how on earth can one deal with these?

Re: Teleporting NPCs

This is a major problem.  Hey guys we got some NPCs going out in the Ocean and swimming.  Let's wait 8 months to fix it too.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Dev Zoom,

Your solution causes far more problems than the original problem ever did.

Now, you are affecting all persons in game with this aweful aweful mechanic.

You guys need to take your heads out of your backside.  We are upon a great time in Perp and you guys are making business-as-usual-mistakes     massive massive mistakes.

I hope you are happy about the beacon pits now.

jesus christ

ridiculous

Bluff Butler wrote:

Hi, I'm a returning Player but still pretty new at the game, I was mining some Epitron on Beta with 2 Termis, All of a sudden zap, NPC teleported on my head from nowhere, wasn't on radar nor landmarks, in fact no other bots apart from my own were on landmarks, this has happened several times now, how on earth can one deal with these?

4 (edited by Gunner 2014-03-28 15:39:17)

I spend my afternoon trying to explain to new recruits how the game has NPCs that just appear on top of them from nowhere and destroy them.

They say to me they are going to just not log on again after losing several bots.

We cant even guard against it because these NPCs arent even on radar before they are on top of you.

(It is completely meta fix (( beyond normal game mechanics )))

You make a big joke and thumb your nose at us about the Beacon pits.

ha ha ha big joke huh?

Well, the joke is on you this time.

You need to roll back this *** right now and put a clever, not *** fix in for beacon pits before you RUIN the game launch

holy @#$%$%#     it doesnt cease to amaze me of the level of knee jerk fixes you guys do without even considering the effects and not even testing them.

FIX IT NOW     before its too late

god dam it

Beta and Gamma are effectively closed for business. Time to pack our *** and get to Alpha.

Seriously just roll the change back so we can launch the game on Apr 2nd without cutting off all but 6 islands.

I realize its not as easy as pushing the rollback button, but surely a reversion is easier than trying to fix all of the extra caused problems, on top of all the other stuff you guys do.

So are you guys saying that this is an intentional mechanic, really?

I can see this mechanic will make new players keep playing, not!!

Bluff Butler wrote:

So are you guys saying that this is an intentional mechanic, really?

I can see this mechanic will make new players keep playing, not!!

To be fair, most new players right now have negative EP so they wont even be logging in to see this problem.

I feel your pain but we can't patch until April 2 anymore, the EP system and payment changes are halfway in, that would be a much larger disaster than teleporting NPCs.

Why do we have a test server again? fuuu

This was fail sauce from the beginning.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

11 (edited by Gremrod 2014-03-28 19:21:42)

DEV Zoom wrote:

I feel your pain but we can't patch until April 2 anymore, the EP system and payment changes are halfway in, that would be a much larger disaster than teleporting NPCs.

You guys don't branch your code and keep a branch that is a snapshot of PROD?

Sorry, but you need to start doing it.... yikes

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Just lol

Gremrod: we do branch most of the time, that's why we were able to do the recent patches, even though the new EP system was already implemented. But this is such a complex system that eventually there comes a point where branching is not feasible anymore and have to do a merge to keep our sanity. Obviously this method has its drawbacks, like this example now, but development is 3-4 times faster.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Gremrod: we do branch most of the time, that's why we were able to do the recent patches, even though the new EP system was already implemented. But this is such a complex system that eventually there comes a point where branching is not feasible anymore and have to do a merge to keep our sanity. Obviously this method has its drawbacks, like this example now, but development is 3-4 times faster.

Ok.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

So the question is, are you planning to remove the teleporting NPCs?

It's a complex issue involving proper pathfinding, server lag, exploits, and deciding which of your arms to cut off. We're working on it.

Are you referring to exploits as beacon pits, because I have a very simple fix for that and I promise, I wont troll you about the people who filmed 100 of them being exploded then smearing it in the devs face and going HaHa you can't touch me.  Cause I'm nice like that.

18 (edited by Burial 2014-03-28 21:23:22)

If beacons are the problem, would it be possible to add the teleportation algorithm to only those NPCs that come from beacons? I don't see a reason for touching Alpha and Beta NPCs at all, those seemed to work fine.

(Or better yet, make it impossible to build beacon pits with new terraforming.)

Burial wrote:

If beacons are the problem, would it be possible to add the teleportation algorithm to only those NPCs that come from beacons? I don't see a reason for touching Alpha and Beta NPCs at all, those seemed to work fine.

(Or better yet, make it impossible to build beacon pits with new terraforming.)

Or just make some lore that says becaons can't be placed on gamma....

Why dont you just ask us nicely to stop shooting 40 beacons at a time?

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's a complex issue involving proper pathfinding, server lag, exploits, and deciding which of your arms to cut off. We're working on it.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

It was 39 gunner.