Topic: Website cleanup pre-Steam release

So.... what I'm suggesting is you guys have a good clean up of the website before the steam release in April just because some parts don't ~really~ give the right impression to new players, or scream "this game is active!", basically decided to write this down after accidentally clicking the news tab.

So -

• News Tab - The most recent article is from 2011

• Press release - The lasted listed press release is from 2010

• Press Coverage - A rather admireable amount of coverage.. but from 2009-11

• Most Dangerous Agent - A really cool idea that I personally love, but for the steam release it screams inactivity, let's be frank, alot of perpetuum players are EvE players, and I could get 20 kills in just as many minutes in EvE, maybe hide it for release and bring it back when the pop is up?

• Links page -

• The Xfire link shows a staggering 0 hours of perpetuum played per day and the game ranking at Xfire rank 3111

• Foom's version of the wiki has had a CSS error for as long as I can remember, the website is still there is just looks awful

• Incoming transmission hasn't been active since 2011

• Perpetuum calcs github doesn't even have perpetuum calc on it anymore

• Yet another badly populated wiki link

• And the french fansite that again hasn't been active since 2011

• RSS Feed - Pulls from the news page, so is obviously outdated too

That's just what a rudimentary browse found that in my opinion, just makes the game look sloppy and/or inactive, which is not the image of what the game truly is, and definitely not the image I think should be promoted going into the steam release.

Thanks,
X

Why not help out the perpetuum wiki?

[15:13:02] <DEV Zoom> yeah, our servers are run by goats, they lick the cogs to keep everything smooth

Re: Website cleanup pre-Steam release

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I've meant to merge the news / blog feeds (both RSS and front page) for a long time now but I never got around it. Hopefully I can find time for it before the Steam launch.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Good post. Well done for spotting it. Someone who cares about the games success, how refreshing smile

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

+1

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gargaj, get Zoom on it pronto!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

7 (edited by Gremrod 2014-03-21 15:59:36)

Edit: nvm.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

8 (edited by Xibba 2014-03-21 19:06:10)

In a step of my own to try do some "revamping" I've begun work on one of the wiki's, while normally I'd stick with the official wiki, mediawiki drives me near literally insane and so I've begun revamping the wikia, of course anyone is welcome to join, and if you're interested in that type of thing I actively encourage it - Locked articles etc will unfortunately remain locked until later this week when my adoption request should go through.

A very naked todo list (i.e it doesnt contain a great deal, as I like to be able to do the entire list in short bursts, and because it has no editting) can be found here

[15:13:02] <DEV Zoom> yeah, our servers are run by goats, they lick the cogs to keep everything smooth

Xibba wrote:

In a step of my own to try do some "revamping" I've begun work on one of the wiki's, while normally I'd stick with the official wiki, mediawiki drives me near literally insane and so I've begun revamping the wikia, of course anyone is welcome to join, and if you're interested in that type of thing I actively encourage it - Locked articles etc will unfortunately remain locked until later this week when my adoption request should go through.

A very naked todo list (i.e it doesnt contain a great deal, as I like to be able to do the entire list in short bursts, and because it has no editting) can be found here

I admire your initiative but Devs would much rather you support the official one: http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index.php/Main_Page.

RIP PERPETUUM

Excellent points. The only thing I would add is some forum moderation. Some players seem to use offensive comments like others say hello. And, impressions on the new players is in this regard is equally important.

EX-TER-MI-NA-TE!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

12 (edited by Xibba 2014-03-21 19:54:19)

Celebro wrote:
Xibba wrote:

I admire your initiative but Devs would much rather you support the official one: http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index.php/Main_Page.

A deeper look shows alot more work has been done to it than I initially thought, though my initial point that mediawiki is damn awful still stands - May have slog through it and work on the official, as I agree I would much rather work on the official if possible.

However the fact it's -
1) Mediawiki
2) Badly set up, I mean it doesn't even have the randomselection extension plugged in, which has to be done by the devs/Wiki admin

Is still exceptionally annoying, maybe a dev can shine some light on the easiest way to get extensions etc added to the wiki

Erm why exactly would you need a randomselection extension? The wiki needs content, not bling-bling.

14 (edited by Xibba 2014-03-21 20:22:51)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Erm why exactly would you need a randomselection extension? The wiki needs content, not bling-bling.

Making a nicer looking homepage was among the first things I went to do, when I thought it was even more content bare than it actually is just so I could add a home/wip page - I tried to have

[racial logo] [perpetuum logo] [racial logo]

at the top of the homepage, but have the racial logos randomized.

Short term for content addition the extensions ARE a non-factor but long term wanting to make a nicer looking public wiki extensions come in damn useful, but as I said I think I'll assist with the official regardless as, well it's the official wiki - and worry about stuff like that in the future.

And while you are at it, please for the love of god, get rid of the following line from the "What is Perpetuum" page smile

"Real-time, asynchronous combat
No turns, therefore no time restrictions of combat moves. "

Although it does put a smile on my face as I try to imagine turn based combat where players are allowed to make moves without waiting for the other player to finish their move.

Why not just say something along the lines:

"Tactical, real-time combat.
Take advantage of destructible cover and highly customisable load-outs to get the edge over your opponents. "

Oriamen wrote:

And while you are at it, please for the love of god, get rid of the following line from the "What is Perpetuum" page smile

"Real-time, asynchronous combat
No turns, therefore no time restrictions of combat moves. "

Although it does put a smile on my face as I try to imagine turn based combat where players are allowed to make moves without waiting for the other player to finish their move.

Why not just say something along the lines:

"Tactical, real-time combat.
Take advantage of destructible cover and highly customisable load-outs to get the edge over your opponents. "

+1

prettified the front page like I wanted, now for the content grind.

I saw you making a lot of changes Xibbba.  Thanks

Line wrote:

EX-TER-MI-NA-TE!

^^

Nice work so far Xibba, thanks smile

And can we make the game a 16 certificate so we can ban beastmode

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."