Re: New devblog: The end of subscriptions, the start of something new

Ville wrote:

$30 is *** steep.

I have at least 10 games in my steam library that I paid 30 dollars or more for and have yet to even install. Much less even play. 30 dollars is fine for most people, and tbh if they cant afford that they wont be buying any superfluous stuff either. So who cares about them anyway?

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

I do like how we have all these experts that are saying the price point is too high.

Yet they most likely have zero information to backup what they are saying. 

I would hope, and do think, that the Dev Team has done some research on the topic.  I think the $30 price point reflect this as well.  They have a clear goal, with a good plan.

Personally the only thing that has some validity is the reset issue.  But with the amounts of EP all the vets have we really shouldn't care, as we are getting to the point one toon can do nearly everything we want.  Also we will get there 50% faster now.  Everyone will.

But, In before the "you dont know what your talking about Merkle".

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

you dont know what your talking about Merkle

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:
Celebro wrote:

You do realize you are taking a chance here with an early access game at $30. Slow increasing playerbase  not going to happened need to go with a big surge.

It would equally be a gamble if we went with a low price and battle with thousands of refund requests because they can't play.

Sounds reasonable. If you guys are lacking the confidence to handle the server load then yeah, by all means use higher price as a break. When server stabilizes and all the people who would buy at $30 do buy, then lower the price like every other game developer on the planet (and listen to the inequity of it all).

/expert on all things
/officially knows everything
/irrefutable presumption: everyone else is wrong

Rage Rex wrote:

/expert on all things
/officially knows everything
/irrefutable presumption: everyone else is wrong

and soon you will be able change your name to this one

181 (edited by Martha Stuart 2014-03-18 03:00:25)

Ok, so with this patch you are clearly aiming at a higher pop.  Are you going to change some of the mechanics in game to reflect this?  For example, the interference mechanic.  Will the number of bots on the field required to reach penalties, be increase to reflect larger fleet sizes? 

For the love of Zombie Jesus can we remove the terrible cap on market buy/sell orders?  If not remove, can we boost it to like 100-200?  I have thousands of mods, and hundreds of bots that I have been building for just this occasion, and I would like to put all that up on the market, but I am restricted by the terrible cap.  That should not be an EP sink.  A healthy market will make things look WAY better.

EP resets and downgrades are a "terrible ideas" to unleash on the server of people who over 3/4ths of whom have 1million + Ep ... Im not going to list all of the reasons that its the worst idea ever but I will say that It mainly benefits players like my self more than anyone new coming to this game.  New players will spend a a bunch of Ep right off and then say "crap I should re spec this way or that way" but with very low Ep levels below 300K its not going to make a huge difference in their game play.

Unless the Ep reset item is over 100 USD then its pretty cheap .. ... some people have paid for 5 to 10+ accounts for years on end @ 10 dollars each ... with everything going free does anyone really think that that same money cant be spent on the same thing (perpetuum).

^^ That being said I am glad that EP reset will be something that we can use due to the "fluid development" of the game. There are so many people that i talk to that would like to "fix" their skill trees because of one change or another that came from the devs. If the "core mechanics" of the game are set in stone then there would be no need for this but because of all the changes i see coming and that will need to be made i think it is only fair to allow players to change as the mechanics do.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

it isnt free and isnt going to be cheap

Tux wrote:

EP resets and downgrades are a "terrible ideas" to unleash on the server of people who over 3/4ths of whom have 1million + Ep ... Im not going to list all of the reasons that its the worst idea ever but I will say that It mainly benefits players like my self more than anyone new coming to this game.  New players will spend a a bunch of Ep right off and then say "crap I should re spec this way or that way" but with very low Ep levels below 300K its not going to make a huge difference in their game play.

Unless the Ep reset item is over 100 USD then its pretty cheap .. ... some people have paid for 5 to 10+ accounts for years on end @ 10 dollars each ... with everything going free does anyone really think that that same money cant be spent on the same thing (perpetuum).

^^ That being said I am glad that EP reset will be something that we can use due to the "fluid development" of the game. There are so many people that i talk to that would like to "fix" their skill trees because of one change or another that came from the devs. If the "core mechanics" of the game are set in stone then there would be no need for this but because of all the changes i see coming and that will need to be made i think it is only fair to allow players to change as the mechanics do.

noobs and weirdos just keep walkin when they see 30$

we want those guys to stop in and play, so we can shoot them

Let the Free-2-Play models generate cash with in game purchases instead of higher up front cost.

Like I said before, a quality game doesnt need to be high.   

Path of Exile   POE

Dota 2                   <- one of most popular games ever on Steam

Merkle wrote:

I do like how we have all these experts that are saying the price point is too high.

Yet they most likely have zero information to backup what they are saying. 

I would hope, and do think, that the Dev Team has done some research on the topic.  I think the $30 price point reflect this as well.  They have a clear goal, with a good plan.

Personally the only thing that has some validity is the reset issue.  But with the amounts of EP all the vets have we really shouldn't care, as we are getting to the point one toon can do nearly everything we want.  Also we will get there 50% faster now.  Everyone will.

But, In before the "you dont know what your talking about Merkle".

Gunner wrote:

it isnt free and isnt going to be cheap

Tux wrote:

EP resets and downgrades are a "terrible ideas" .

Lets hope.

Martha Stuart wrote:

For the love of Zombie Jesus can we remove the terrible cap on market buy/sell orders?  If not remove, can we boost it to like 100-200?  I have thousands of mods, and hundreds of bots that I have been building for just this occasion, and I would like to put all that up on the market, but I am restricted by the terrible cap.  That should not be an EP sink.  A healthy market will make things look WAY better.

Healty market includes, that new trader find their niche to sell their stuff. So better keep that market cap to have still a niche for new traders.

If we veterans flood all markets it is good for the new player who want to buy, but bad for player who want to sell.

Maybe the price for a EP-reset can vary depending on how much EP you have? Like 3 million EP 50 bucks. 300 thousand EP 5 bucks. Or something like that. You get the picture at least.

Wow, 8 pages of opinions.  Here's mine:

I like the changes.
I like the EP reset and downgrade option.

After spending the last year mostly playing EVE and Guild Wars 2, I'm looking at this game again.  I even dropped three ICE to start my first-ever alt.

Well done, Devs.

Regards,

SPoT

A little update here:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … r-april-2/

I dont like the EP reset and downgrades.

Why, I know the time when there was the Bot of the Month problem. That was a bad time. Please DEV think about this again.

Concerning EP reset and downgrades:

What do you guys think about a 30% loss of EP when doing a reset or a downgrade? (Ie. You get 30% less EP back.)

I think no ones going to do it and you lose a source of income.

Zoom, EP resets ...

Give Lifetime accounts one free reset. There have been enough changes since the last time EP resets were available that makes this actually fair. While a free game for all subbed vets is nice, most of us deserve a little more love than just the game for only 3 months time.

Charge $50 at your store for another EP reset, and limit it to once per year.

If EP resets cost money, as well as EP, even 10% of my EP, I would never do it.
I want moar EP not less, which is why even my high EP accounts will pay for the EP boost after April 2nd

Just my 2 cents.

194 (edited by SGT subzero 2014-03-18 23:43:40)

DEV Zoom wrote:

What do you guys think about a 30% loss of EP when doing a reset or a downgrade? (Ie. You get 30% less EP back.)

Such a steep loss of already accumulated EP is not an attractive option to use (even for valid reasons). What can work is some other kind of penalty.

Like reduced speed of EP gathering for a period somewhat proportional to the amount of EP being re-purposed. This penalty should be stacking so that multiple resets in a row really slow down future development for a while.

Net effect over time is the same as a moderate EP haircut during the reset, without the frustrating experience of loosing already earned EP. Something to which people are very sensitive!

Now I am brainstorming anyway, i like to focus on re-purposing EP, which is essentially what one might want to use a reset for. Before and after use of EP will in most situations largely overlap, making fair pricing and the penalty's of the operation a hard thing to get right.

This is why I feel the 'reset' must be transaction in the sense you do not get a stash of EP you have to re-assign afterwards. You need to make an interface where people can make pending changes to extensions and then calculate a cost based on what really changes. This gives you far more control and makes the pricing fair.

Also have a reset, start a counter that prevents another reset for a specific time! Possibly increase this time every time this feature is used, thus eventually eliminating every possible form of abuse!

The difference between a reset and a downgrade is then that with a reset you do not gain non-purposed EP (some leftover must be allowed), whereas with a downgrade you do.

DEV Zoom wrote:

well noone realy will use that. especially no vet. for a newer player with not much ep this might be only a loss of a few days but for a vet it will be months. no way anyone with a bit brain will use that.
so thats the point where i could say. ep resets are realy bad, but if noone uses them then its ok. well then we dont need it in the first place.

downgrade and reset option for the first 30 days of your account, maybe even 60 days. but after that its a no go.
vets should know what they do with their ep. and for anything else they get ep each day. with a booster even faster.

196 (edited by MoBIoS 2014-03-19 00:03:47)

DEV Zoom wrote:

that sounds reasonable, as this should hurt enough as a barrier for a tactical resets, if we really need to have them at all. I still think, a reset within 2-3 Month after character creation, should be sufficient, to compensate any wrong turns taken in your favourite path, once you get accustomed to the game and preferred play style.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

197 (edited by Jita 2014-03-19 00:05:56)

just make it free first time, 10% second, 20% third etc

the problem isn't resetting but the ability to change to fotm

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Not a bad idea.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Yes, sounds good like that, it could cap at something like 50% though.

200 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2014-03-19 01:00:50)

Jita wrote:

well you allow it once and a big number of the vets will have exactly. that. and you cant get rid of it once you had it allowed once. dmg done. removing the feature afterward will not fix the initial dmg. and that can be quite substantial. just imagine a big shield tanked spider transfering green fleet. i doubt its breakable with what a mixed fleet can bring atm.
chaos showed this power successfully at the tournament, and if bigger groups do it this will get out of hand very fast.