Re: New devblog: The end of subscriptions, the start of something new

New chapter in Perpetuum. smile

Jita wrote:

Can you confirm if there will be paid expansions in the future?

Cannot confirm at this point but it's a possibility.

The ICE system is being removed for now as a precaution and something to replace it will likely be introduced again later. That's one of the possibilities we're looking at. It's a known gap and it will be addressed.

Jita wrote:

Can you confirm if there will be paid expansions in the future?

I would rather have paid downloadable content than paid EP boosts tbh like you say Jita. I know you guys need the money to make the game better, but not by selling EP.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

50% EP boots is just wrong without a way to earn it in game. This does not even close the 'Player gap' if the vets do the same and get the boost. Or pay extra each month or fall behind is a major P2W issue, please reconsider this.

after 2 -3 years, do you really need ep ?

31 (edited by Burial 2014-03-16 21:22:12)

I think the EP boosts are well made.

From what I gather, only one can be active at a time, it's not possible to go overboard and get a million EP overnight; it wouldn't be too bad in my book either as long as ICE is gone and the players need to work for their bots and equipment.

I wrote my thoughts about P2W and selling NIC(disguised as ICE) and EP(boosters, packages) in some other thread too but can't be bothered to dig it up. Anyway, what I concluded was that it's better to sell EP than NIC since gaining EP is above players control but equipment and general wealth in-game is all achievable with farming.

IF however, they also start to sell ICE at the same time as EP boosters, AC has gone too far.

Burial wrote:

From what I gather, only one can be active at a time, it's not possible to go overboard and get a million EP overnight; it wouldn't be too bad in my book either as long as ICE is gone and they actually have to work and farm for their bots and equipment.

Burial: NIC will be almost worthless without ICE, they need to put it back in one form or another it has been working so well, change the name or whatever, but there needs to be a grind option for the EP boost.

RIP PERPETUUM

33 (edited by Marmon 2014-03-16 21:13:45)

Devs : are you going to send a newsletter to all old players to annouce them that they can play for free ?

Maybe it s a good time big_smile

Burial wrote:

From what I gather, only one can be active at a time, it's not possible to go overboard and get a million EP overnight

Indeed, EP Boosts are non stacking. They are meant to provide the same level playingfield for roughly the same cost as before, but they are not mandatory like the subscription has been.

Marmon wrote:

Devs : are you going to send a newsletter to all old players to annouce them that they can play for free ?

Yes, we'll be sending out emails soon to notify them.

Question: do i get a infinite Perpetuum Credit if my account doesn't expire ?

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

then we will be back to see the community to play the favor of th emonth bots. corps will play very specialized fleets only and the others have to do the same to counter it. we have seen that in the past and i fear this will go way worse with this.

Exactly this. It's pretty much an exploit served on a platter, with a potentially huge effect on the meta.

That said, making cash on people that involved in the game (willing to spend a lot on things like these) is probably just a decent business model. Just keep an eye on how people are using this.

One final note though. Even though this is well thought out, and you guys obviously now have a good system in place to serve that pink paint (finally), you should really try to have a few cosmetic items in before Steam. Obviously things change, but honestly, this now primarily looks like a money grabbing scheme.

Heliaso wrote:

Would be nice, wouldn't it? smile

But no, only actual subscriptions that span into the future will be subject to PC conversion.

Celebro wrote:
Burial wrote:

From what I gather, only one can be active at a time, it's not possible to go overboard and get a million EP overnight; it wouldn't be too bad in my book either as long as ICE is gone and they actually have to work and farm for their bots and equipment.

Burial: NIC will be almost worthless without ICE, they need to put it back in one form or another it has been working so well, change the name or whatever, but there needs to be a grind option for the EP boost.

I don't agree. NIC will be essential for actually playing the game. Everything in the end revolves around NIC.

40 (edited by MoBIoS 2014-03-16 21:22:31)

On coincidence I posted something about EP reset this morning. And I just want emphasise as much as I can and try to stress you to re- think the EP reset and Skill Change. PLEASE!
I´ll just quote myself here:

No resets, we had that before. It´ll just provoke a new CHAOS syndrome, where everyone skills flavour/ color of the month, i.e. CHAOS was suddenly all green. It was even worse, when ppl where able to change their agent name and avatar as well. Its contra productive to diversity and persistence.This was imho probably one of the biggest mistakes in perpetuum in those days and fortunately the ability was cancelled shortly afterwards. ...

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

DEV BoyC wrote:
Alexander wrote:

3) Some people won't be able to drop £30 in one go for Perpetuum when it releases. They may be playing from using ICE or single month to month transactions. Anyone with less than 3 months subscription time remaining is going to need to purchase the game (3 months sub) and you should at least make this a little easier for existing players. If they have been subbed for 2 years without a break and now you're going to ask them for 3 months money up front, some people won't be able to pay it. Most will not have an issue but try and be as caring as you can. Don't get yourself a bad name for "locking people out". £30 ain't a lot of money and I certainly will be looking forward to making that purchase on Steam.

This is exactly why we're giving more than 2 weeks of a heads up so that players still missing one or two months can make their accounts eligible and not need to pay the full client price. As for the Steam related purchases, we'll be discussing them at a later time, but there won't be a separate Steam only shard for Perpetuum so if a player doesn't want to purchase the game on Steam they won't have to.

Alexander wrote:

2) Any improvement to the engine? Not in terms of appearance but performance. Perpetuum is still very much a GPU killer and while the client might be rendering a lot more things than some games perhaps adding more LOD or occlusion might not burn out a few GPU's on go live day.

Sadly the main issue with the engine is that it's not GPU but CPU limited, which is something that's only worsened by introducing extra CPU side systems. I'm trying to work on it as much as possible but without a major architectural overhaul we've pretty much reached the limits of its capabilities. We have plans to fix this but they are long term and won't be implemented for the Steam launch.

Quotageddon post go! Thanks for the quick reply.
I wasn't suggesting a Steam only shard, sorry. I meant FULL client file download and patching being handled by Steam rather than steam downloading a 2 megabyte launcher that then downloads all of the game resources. This would allow you to continue to patch and distribute to non-steam players but the steam players would get an added benefit of the downloads coming from steam (Often faster than most self-hosted solutions).

Sorry for the GPU and CPU confusion. All I could tell is that my temps rocket on both and it looks like 1 core of my 4 takes most of the Perpetuum client as it sits at 50-80% while the others sit at 10%-20%. Hope you managed to make some improvements and it's great you have long term goals and plans for it! Thanks.

42 (edited by Heliaso 2014-03-16 21:25:02)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Heliaso wrote:

Would be nice, wouldn't it? smile

But no, only actual subscriptions that span into the future will be subject to PC conversion.

No little gift, i'm sad sad

Maybe a bot with special and unique colour big_smile

Alexander wrote:

I meant FULL client file download and patching being handled by Steam

Yes, it will happen like this. Although Steam has some random delay on updating the files, so there can be moments when you launch the client from Steam and it will update some fresh missing data from our resource.

Question about name changes: When someone changes his name, does the old one become free for registering?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Alexander wrote:

I meant FULL client file download and patching being handled by Steam

Yes, it will happen like this. Although Steam has some random delay on updating the files, so there can be moments when you launch the client from Steam and it will update some fresh missing data from our resource.

Small minor patches and file changes is one thing, entire expansions or reinstalling the client would likely be faster on Steam. Looking forward to this!

I love these changes, and it also adresses some of my and others concern with the EP gap. At least new players can do a EP boost to speed things up. I think you've balanced it all perfectly. Well played DEVs. Well played... I now have hope for the future of Perp. big_smile

Burial wrote:

Question about name changes: When someone changes his name, does the old one become free for registering?

No, only if the character is deleted (freed up after 24 hours of deletion iirc).

48 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-03-16 21:35:47)

Bold move, much needed!

I like the 3 day activity on EP. This is fair coming from one that does not log in too often. Active players should benefit. (EDIT: how about EP for 3-day forum activity lol)

I love the reset option. Why should anyone care how one spends EP on his own account. As long as there is some barrier in time/cost it becomes impractical to abuse TACTICALLY.

I like the 50% EP only, especially since it will goad all the P2W haters. I have no intention of using it as a higher EP player where EP has diminished returns. If it makes new players feel like they are catching up good for them and good for your pocketbooks. And it's just in time as Follow is being removed for it's P2W abuse ...lolol

Oh gamma plans changing again. Shocker fuuu

Overall good news for game's longevity ...bad news for P2W haters

Now I see where the follow nerf is coming from, multiple 'free accounts' and EP resets will abuse follow even more.

RIP PERPETUUM

50 (edited by MoBIoS 2014-03-16 21:42:55)

You are so wrong on your thoughts EP resets have no tactical side to it, which cannot be abused! It has already been severely abused, when we did have EP resets for a short time. Old players know.

Celebro wrote:

Now I see where the follow nerf is coming from, multiple 'free accounts' and EP resets will abuse follow even more.

totally agree.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY