Re: Camp Respawn Time on Mineral Fields

You know a very easy way to eliminate 99% of this problem would be to just increase respawn timers of static npc spawns globally to 10 to 15 minutes instead of the seconds it currently is. this would allow players to mine more effectively by being able to better manage the NPC spawn on top of the titan field.

Aside from the topic of mining you should eliminate all static NPC spawns ... missions can spawn npc's when some one takes the mission and that player arrives in the target kill zone

static spawns in this game spawn way to fast .. i think in the past it was ok so players could "farm" them for kernels but beacons have been here for so long as the replacement for kernel farming I dont know why static spawns haven't been dialed down a long time ago.   

DEV Zoom wrote:

To be clear: this isn't a case of "we told you so", it was pretty obvious that people will go for the easier locations. As long as they are able to.

I don't know whether we have arrived yet at the point where all fields are under NPC spawns, but if it's the case then mineral prices will go up, and that's that. Unless you think people will stop playing just because they can't mine because of the NPCs.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I like the idea of Doek to have a device to reduce respawn timer. For farming NPCs timer should not be changed.

And there are NPCs I don't like to mine nearby, unless I have a Zenith and Vaga on each of this NPCs while other NPC spots are quite harmless to mine there. Lets see how the new AI changes take effect wink.

Burial wrote:

You can keep the last mobs of each NPC spawn's wave alive and just EW them out.

QFT, burial solved this problem on the last page....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

If you're worried about farming, having NPCs cycle through spawn points all over the map would make the game more realistic and immersive.  I like this as well because it would require you to actually do work to farm NPCs, not sit in one place and just fire off rounds. 

Mining is already difficult as all hell with having to hunt down fields on the opposit side of the map, why not make combat the same way.

I think to many in this thread seem to be focusing on the wrong thing: NPCs. NPCs are not the problem, this problem never existed with the old ore system.

What we face here is a simple case of cause & effect.

We have a ore system that allows for infinite resource gathering of Ores & Liquids. This same system also ignores static NPC spawn locations & spawns persistent ore fields.

I suggest the Root cause of this problem be fixed not the NPCs. The problem with changing the way static NPCs spawn can then go onto to create inbalances in other areas of the game.

Treat the problem not the side effect smile

What i would do is:

1. Ore fields are no longer persistent. a field will spawn in if not mined within a few days of being generated by the server it will decay over a few days. 

2. The server shouldn't track the individual units of ore on an island. It should track the amount of ORE FIELDS for a given ore type that an island has.

3. New ore fields should NOT be instantly re spawned into the game once the number of fields fall below a given threshold.
Each Field  (ore/Liquid type) should only be regenerated once or twice a week(s) (or a longer period of time depending on server population - server statistics that the devs have access to)

Randomize the amount of Fields the server spawns in. Randomize the size of the fields.
Alpha 1s lots of small fields some Med fields no Large / Xlarge
Alpha 2s small fields tho less than A1s more Meds, maybe a Large no LX
Beta 1 again less smalls than A2s but alot more meds & large no XL

Beta 2 & Gamma No Smalls, Some Meds, more large & some XL fields.

The above idea would in part solve the problems talked about in this thread by not forcing players to farm ontop of Red spawns. if the field is in a bad location wait a few days for it to de-spawn.

This would also solve the problem of having an infinite supply of ore to an island like we currently have. Islands that have lots of industrial activities on them should see a drop in ore supply as demand outstrips what an island can regenerate.
Im more thinking about this on PVP islands where ore fields are larger. You could have alpha respawn fields faster given they should see more of a population.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

31 (edited by Burial 2014-03-13 12:59:35)

Obi, you are forgetting the "infinite" ores and minerals are capped by the amount of work someone is willing to put into mining or harvesting them. By your logic, you could also say that NIC and items from NPC spawns are infinite, but they're not. No-one has ∞ minerals or NIC—it's all capped by the amound of work someone has put into it.

(I stopped reading after you talked about infinite minerals.)

To throw another idea into the pot ...

Is there a way that the server could detect whether a mineral tile is within, say, 500m of a red spawn and enhance that field in a way that makes it more rewarding to mine? Maybe increase the PL-90 rate or give a mined amount per cycle bonus.

The level of buff could be relative to the tier of the spawn and whether it is Alpha or in an explosion damage zone.

33 (edited by Celebro 2014-03-13 16:07:53)

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think to many in this thread seem to be focusing on the wrong thing: NPCs. NPCs are not the problem, this problem never existed with the old ore system.

What we face here is a simple case of cause & effect.

We have a ore system that allows for infinite resource gathering of Ores & Liquids. This same system also ignores static NPC spawn locations & spawns persistent ore fields.

I suggest the Root cause of this problem be fixed not the NPCs. The problem with changing the way static NPCs spawn can then go onto to create inbalances in other areas of the game.

Treat the problem not the side effect smile

What i would do is:

1. Ore fields are no longer persistent. a field will spawn in if not mined within a few days of being generated by the server it will decay over a few days. 

2. The server shouldn't track the individual units of ore on an island. It should track the amount of ORE FIELDS for a given ore type that an island has.

3. New ore fields should NOT be instantly re spawned into the game once the number of fields fall below a given threshold.
Each Field  (ore/Liquid type) should only be regenerated once or twice a week(s) (or a longer period of time depending on server population - server statistics that the devs have access to)

Randomize the amount of Fields the server spawns in. Randomize the size of the fields.
Alpha 1s lots of small fields some Med fields no Large / Xlarge
Alpha 2s small fields tho less than A1s more Meds, maybe a Large no LX
Beta 1 again less smalls than A2s but alot more meds & large no XL

Beta 2 & Gamma No Smalls, Some Meds, more large & some XL fields.

The above idea would in part solve the problems talked about in this thread by not forcing players to farm ontop of Red spawns. if the field is in a bad location wait a few days for it to de-spawn.

This would also solve the problem of having an infinite supply of ore to an island like we currently have. Islands that have lots of industrial activities on them should see a drop in ore supply as demand outstrips what an island can regenerate.
Im more thinking about this on PVP islands where ore fields are larger. You could have alpha respawn fields faster given they should see more of a population.

I like this idea Obi, having fields de spawn weekly , not when they are mined out should solve the problem nicely. Ores are in fact infinite, that definition is correct same us any island can support an infinite amount of players which  I think it's wrong, even though the mechanics do cap the amount you can get per hour, it is still infinite by definition.

RIP PERPETUUM

34 (edited by Gremrod 2014-03-13 20:09:03)

Bring in a device to mine ore on spawn points. A device that combats can place down and it will mine X amount of ore. Combat robots need to stick around and protect the mining device.

Once the device is done mining, it can be opened and the ore can be hauled away.

http://youtu.be/tYWlqLqTsuA?t=3m47s

I like Obi's idea.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Because just what this game needs is to make resource gathering easier.

You people are nuts.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

36 (edited by Cassius 2014-03-13 21:39:10)

There is already a device when activated on a known mineral deposit that will mine X amount of minerals, specifically 26.25U of any mineral, and then is ready to haul it away. Combats certainly need to protect this device.  It's called a Riveler Mk2, and it certainly makes mining easier.

Cassius wrote:

There is already a device when activated on a known mineral deposit that will mine X amount of minerals, specifically 26.25U of any mineral, and then is ready to haul it away. Combats certainly need to protect this device.  It's called a Riveler Mk2, and it certainly makes mining easier.

Nice, lol.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Burial wrote:

Obi, you are forgetting the "infinite" ores and minerals are capped by the amount of work someone is willing to put into mining or harvesting them. By your logic, you could also say that NIC and items from NPC spawns are infinite, but they're not. No-one has ∞ minerals or NIC—it's all capped by the amound of work someone has put into it.

(I stopped reading after you talked about infinite minerals.)

I was going to troll the living Sh*t out of you Burial for a bad post BUT

You do highlight a good point, the use of the word "infinite" is incorrect to articulate my issue with ore spawning system.
A better way to say it would be, that i have an issue with instant re-spawning of ore fields. Now i under stand that there can be a delay (depending on where the threshold for the server is on regenerating a new ore field).

So with an ORE distribution system like we currently have now, its easy for 1 Island to supply the needs of an infinite number of people.

The idea i propose to solve instant re-spawning of new ore fields & ore field decay are not some new unheard of mechanics in this game.

PLANTS

Plants are an infinite resource that regenerates slowly over time back to full capacity All im saying is ore must work the same way. And with Nora we also see the decay mechanic in use. If its not harvested it dies.
Ore & Liquid fields should work in the same way. Thats the TLDR of my POV.

it's all capped by the amount of work someone has put into it.

All aspect of this game require varying amounts of effort.  I have seen the current ore spawning system fail with only 10 miners at work. we would mine out 1 or 2 fields & then instantly new fields would be spawned in.

All the core fundamental resources in this game are infinite. But time & effort to extract alone does not provide balance. CCP learned this the hard way with Titans.

One last thing. You can not use NIC in a discussion of a mechanic likes this as you have Burial the ability to exploit HUGE sums of NIC in a very short time is currently VERY broken.

Just for the non English speakers:
infinite
ˈɪnfɪnɪt/Submit
adjective
limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.

For new players heres the DEV Blog on mineral fields: http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts … y-remixed/ Please note some mechanics talked about in that old blog have changed! smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue