Re: Incoming gamma changes and gamma-only wipe

Honestly, marking this 'early access' would be a bad move, simply because it clearly isn't. Presenting this game as indie should be sufficient to manage the expectations of gamers (and gaming press!).

Now, if you'd establish the game hasn't seen the population to actually verify the gameplay and mechanics are working, there might be something there. Early access is akin to crowdfunding, so pushing the game back to beta would be a good move if you do intend to mark Perpetuum as early access.

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:

LOL!

I get shipped to a new project and come back, "Hi guys!  Oh btw we are taking content away and will recycle the content later!". Later meaning 8 months to a year.  Oh and early access hell, work in progress more like it.  I can see the Steam reports now. "  I paid $10 for early access and all I got was a starter robot while I got killed by a guy in a mu h bigger robot outside a station!  This games a rip off there's no early access!  I want my money back!"

Does this mean we get our names put in the Beta testers list??  Lol!  You Hungarians never cease to amaze.

Newfagg we had three thousand people on three islands at one point. Six will be fine

And what happened to those three thousand people???  Exactly!  In your face atheists!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

153 (edited by Rex Gordon 2014-02-28 01:49:32)

Not sure who said it but I like the idea of a full asset wipe. Keep EP and Research ...wipe EVERYTHING else. No nic, no assets, just a ton of arkhes trying to make their way in the world.

And do it all together with Steam release.

Surely you could spin that in some positive way for newcomers. Puts touch more credibility into "early release"

And to make the pill slightly easier to swallow for some, include full EP reset so we can redo all the EP on our accounts.

Rex Gordon wrote:

Not sure who said it but I like the idea of a full asset wipe. Keep EP and Research ...wipe EVERYTHING else. No nic, no assets, just a ton of arkhes trying to make their way in the world.

Surely you could spin that in some positive way for newcomers. Puts touch more credibility into "early release"

And to make the pill slightly easier to swallow for some, include full EP reset so we can redo all the EP on our accounts.

Not in agreement with the asset wipe, but seriously, why do you think having EP and RP, but losing everything else makes it fair for Newbs v Vets? lol cmon, you'll be in an arkhe for about a week until you've built a heavy ..  then you'll just be slaughtering noobs.

Sounds real fair.

Cassius wrote:
Rex Gordon wrote:

Not in agreement with the asset wipe, but seriously, why do you think having EP and RP, but losing everything else makes it fair for Newbs v Vets? lol cmon, you'll be in an arkhe for about a week until you've built a heavy ..  then you'll just be slaughtering noobs.

Sounds real fair.

And you can't do the same? smile

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

You missed my point Beast.

The only thing I've done upon my return is stock up assets. If they take that away feel free to reimburse me with the time I've spent collecting it. Stupid idea. Why not wipe characters etc while we at it then? Well cause some peeps here are butthurt, and a item wipe to them sounds like a victory. So... Hell no!!!

Poor peasants want asset wipe so badly. Not gonna happen.

Aaron Sool wrote:

The only thing I've done upon my return is stock up assets. If they take that away feel free to reimburse me with the time I've spent collecting it. Stupid idea. Why not wipe characters etc while we at it then? Well cause some peeps here are butthurt, and a item wipe to them sounds like a victory. So... Hell no!!!

I'm not trying to troll..  But in December I focused from corp wealth and asset wealth to liquid wealth(Nic).  Liquid Nic I went from a few million to a billionaire in One week.  That's including the gathering of beacons.  In 4 hours I became a billionaire (liquid).  That doesn't include the 10k medium armor plates(lol).  SMART corp production revolves around beacons for fragments and t1 gear.  You hardly ever see vets grinding spawns.  -133- finished corp research in ONE week.  Don't tell me the mass accumulated from this doesn't hurt the economy or new factions trying to grow. 

Listen, I as well as the rest of the community don't want to lose the war chest on alpha.  But I will say this, accumulated wealth is going to hurt the economy and its going to be the m2s war all over again.  Assuming there's enough people.  So at some point realization needs to set in.  Do you want to press the Easy button every time or do you want to watch the game grow.

160 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2014-02-28 16:03:10)

Ville wrote:

stuff...

what in another 2 years? what in 5 years?
new players will always be behind in these terms. the most wealth (more then 90% from the last info i had a while back) in eve is hold by a very few market tycoons. thats the way of a time based progression system. get good, learn how to make money, or stay a small bug. and believe me there are plenty of vets that stay small bugs in terms of money the whole time. just because they are not intrested in that kind of thing.

so what happens to the other 99,99% of the eve players? and the new players that join there all the time? cant they play the game because some other ppl have more money?

its simple. you work to get some stuff for you together and you can do it. one way or the other. ppl that dont do the work will not have it, vet or no vet. thats the difference. if someone plays that "game" better then you or has it played for longer then you will not be bale to catch up. just like in rl where a normal worker most likely will never ever have a chance to catch up to the guys with the big money (yes billions and more). and in this game they have better chances to catch up then they have in real life.

tldr: thats the nature of the game and always will be. and it will be the same for new players that in the years to come. or you have to reboot the server all few years/months.

Doek wrote:

Honestly, marking this 'early access' would be a bad move, simply because it clearly isn't. Presenting this game as indie should be sufficient to manage the expectations of gamers (and gaming press!).

Now, if you'd establish the game hasn't seen the population to actually verify the gameplay and mechanics are working, there might be something there. Early access is akin to crowdfunding, so pushing the game back to beta would be a good move if you do intend to mark Perpetuum as early access.

+1 This is not an early access game, seeing a label that says otherwise does not change this fact, and can backfire.
Tbh it sounds like a sham and dishonest when seen from a wider audience, not in touch with the game and can lead to confusion.

Early access games are called that to jump start a game that has never been released, AC is going to look like fools, I bet this is Valve's idea of marketing not AC.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Early access games are called that to jump start a game that has never been released

...which is a really bad misconception. Early access games are early access because they are not finished yet and it is a warning for people that things can be broken and unfinished.

We have talked to Valve what options we have for "crowd control", but as soon as the game goes on sale we have no control over how many people we get. Being early access is our best option to slow down the initial surge.

163 (edited by Celebro 2014-02-28 17:34:02)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Early access games are called that to jump start a game that has never been released

...which is a really bad misconception. Early access games are early access because they are not finished yet and it is a warning for people that things can be broken and unfinished.

Zoom: MMOs are never finished, there is always that next update that players are longing for. By your logic Eve could be labelled early access too.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We have talked to Valve what options we have for "crowd control", but as soon as the game goes on sale we have no control over how many people we get. Being early access is our best option to slow down the initial surge.

You want to control how many players play your game because you are worried you will get too many to handle?

You are choosing the safe option, but I will go with a large surge of players anytime because that's your best bet for game to survive having loads of players at once is good news. If you run into issues you solve them as you go. It is a risk, but last I heard your server can handle 10,000 concurrent players, not sure if that is true anymore. Last time you guys were really unlucky with the DDOS.

Edit: What you want is a large surge to create the snowball effect, a slow increase in playerbase might not create this snowball effect, meaning the more players play the more want to play.

RIP PERPETUUM

slow influx = low retention

Kokomut wrote:

slow influx = low retention

+1 It's so much easier to get more players with a larger player base,(synonymous to success), also larger corps and more good leadership also helps with retention rates.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro: EVE would face the same problem if they suddenly got the number of players that WoW has. If things go well, we're not talking about the summer of the EVE exodus, it's much bigger. And it's one thing to aim big to retain as much players as possible, but first impressions are important. If you can't play with a game you just purchased, that's not the best first impression. But you don't know the whole picture yet, I think you'll understand better when we have laid all our cards.

The only way your getting those numbers are if it goes free to play.

I wish.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

DEV Zoom wrote:

If things go well, we're not talking about the summer of the EVE exodus, it's much bigger. And it's one thing to aim big to retain as much players as possible, but first impressions are important.

Wow...You seem overly optimistic , I hope you are right. big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

@zoom
i realy hope it goes this way. i realy do. i wish it for having more playing buddys. also you would realy deserve it to have financial success with this game.
but as life has told me more then once: its not always going the way i wnt it to. or how somebody deserves it.
so i believe it when i see it... but i realy hope it will.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
Ville wrote:

stuff...

new players will always be behind in these terms. the most wealth (more then 90% from the last info i had a while back) in eve is hold by a very few market tycoons. thats the way of a time based progression system. get good, learn how to make money, or stay a small bug. and believe me there are plenty of vets that stay small bugs in terms of money the whole time. just because they are not intrested in that kind of thing.

so what happens to the other 99,99% of the eve players? and the new players that join there all the time? cant they play the game because some other ppl have more money?

its simple. you work to get some stuff for you together and you can do it. one way or the other. ppl that dont do the work will not have it, vet or no vet. thats the difference. if someone plays that "game" better then you or has it played for longer then you will not be bale to catch up. just like in rl where a normal worker most likely will never ever have a chance to catch up to the guys with the big money (yes billions and more). and in this game they have better chances to catch up then they have in real life.

tldr: thats the nature of the game and always will be. and it will be the same for new players that in the years to come. or you have to reboot the server all few years/months.

Yeah well guess what Zortarg, once again you missed the entire point.  Read this post:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … n-and-rad/

This is going to be death of the game, mark my words, I told you so.

*edit: Offensive. -DEV Zoom

Ville wrote:

Give vets a few prestigious bots that require stupid amounts of alpha-based minerals to build. Easy fix.

Ville wrote:

There were a lot of things going against RAD and most new corps that have started up in the recent past. But the main problem isn't asset accumulation or the ep gap. It was not having enough incoming new players for start up corporations to reach critical mass. 

STC had a blast in the early days trying to knock the old Veteran Kings off ofthe hill, so to speak. And the Ep and asset advantage disparity was large then as well. But the difference was STC had a large enough influx of players to compete over time.

Hate to spout the same old thing, but a population increase cures a lot of ills.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

173 (edited by Blocker 2014-03-01 04:40:44)

Ville wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:
Ville wrote:

stuff...

Yeah well guess what Zortarg, once again you missed the entire point.  Read this post:

See this is why people think so little of you Ville, Zortarg has done more for this game than most and I would class him as one of the games elder statesmen, and you can't even show enough respect to get his name right. I would even suggest that your use of his name is deliberately done to cause offense. It does not matter whether you agree with him or not, at least have the decency to show some respect for someone who has done more for this game than you ever will.

[Edit] I see it has been changed, my thanks for that.

Common misconception, that having stuff kills a game.

In a free market, players having things to put on the markets is not a bad thing at all.  If any thing this will get the markets kickstarted faster.  Moving things in a more positive direction.

To say that this is the single thing that will kill the game, just simply isn't true, and you are intentionally trying to mislead everyone. 

There are far more pressing issues, the single biggest turn off WILL be, if players cannot connect to the game, and have a stable lag free environment. 
If you cant connect you dont even have a change to lose the player out of the gate, they are already lost.  They already know this, it was stated for your enjoyment.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Yeah because all those 99% on steam are just dying to come in and get stuck in the loop of feeding our 1%. big_smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please