Re: Gamma Balancing

Merkle wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Have the buildings make there own pad, without any need for terraforming.

Remember when people were terraforming with turrets? smile Not sure we want to have people feel inclined to use that kind of twisted mechanic again.

I do remember, just simply undo when it is removed.

Actually I just remembered that was the reason why we removed the automatic platform terraforming completely, we don't have that anymore.

But yeah, doing a gamma reset, starting anew quick without terraforming at all and bringing in terraforming whenever we feel it's fine on the test server sounds another way to consider as well.

ps. Every time someone suggests a full world reset in a gamma balance topic, god kills a kitten.

102 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-20 03:38:34)

Full reset; everything.  What is the difference at this point.

Kitten says you are discussing resetting some players whole lives in this game.

You joke around about it????

*** serious??

Hey lets all have a laugh at the populations expense.  Awesome.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Merkle wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Remember when people were terraforming with turrets? smile Not sure we want to have people feel inclined to use that kind of twisted mechanic again.

I do remember, just simply undo when it is removed.

Actually I just remembered that was the reason why we removed the automatic platform terraforming completely, we don't have that anymore.

But yeah, doing a gamma reset, starting anew quick without terraforming at all and bringing in terraforming whenever we feel it's fine on the test server sounds another way to consider as well.

ps. Every time someone suggests a full world reset in a gamma balance topic, god kills a kitten.

+1 just do it

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

The fact of the matter is the Devs can barely see what the results of having all those gamma structures back in peoples hands is.

Unlimited resources via recycle for STC/Nebs for sure.

Gamma is just a part of the game, having a gamma issue does not warrant a full reset at all. There won't be one.

You cant wrap your head around what resources and time are in gamma right now.

I can explain it if you want.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Gamma is just a part of the game, having a gamma issue does not warrant a full reset at all. There won't be one.

Just remove the whole goddamn thing. Seriously. If you can't terraform a *** with the words "Inda's Fault" then what's the point? The only reason to live on gamma is you can mudwall your island to safety. Everything else is better on beta. My *** factor is really low for gamma. I'd rather live on alpha. At least I can mine epri if I lived on beta.

If you want to have (another) full game reset topic, go ahead and do one, I won't take part in it. But in this topic it's considered offtopic.

The changes your propose are SO LARGE it affects everything.

Sorry you dont get that.

This game is Players vs. Devs 90% of the time.

110 (edited by Hunter 2014-01-20 03:46:32)

dammit.... at least don't touch the holy-terra! sad

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Smokeyii wrote:

The only reason to live on gamma is you can mudwall your island to safety.

Yeah, that's exactly what's wrong with gamma.

I like the idea of fluid Gammas, but Turrets should not be buffed.  EM turrets already wreck faces and tbh, single tile terraforming would make me want to not want to invest in Gamma Again, period.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

so once this needed change is done gamma is going to suck. Me and Smokey have been talking about what makes it worthwhile to live there.

We would advocate that we do the following:

Make all mk 2 require colixium

Move epi back to Gamma

increase the strength of Auras

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Your logs only go back one year so if there is some kind of reimbursement all those who invested earlier ...uh sorry?

Jita wrote:

so once this needed change is done gamma is going to suck. Me and Smokey have been talking about what makes it worthwhile to live there.

We would advocate that we do the following:

Make all mk 2 require colixium

Move epi back to Gamma

increase the strength of Auras

+1

Also make cortex's only available by artifacting.

To reply to all of my critics that didnt read / comprehend  my post ...

* Do I agree with this for the sake of the game ? Yes it needs to happen

* I Do think the Devs should say hey guys SORRY for all that you have done but we need to re look at the mechanics and make some serious changes. 

* Will I re build HELL YES I will.

* There needs to be appropriate compensation made to players 

~ oh well at least I get to see Peyton Manning get curb stomped in a few weeks so the universe is still in balance wink

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

117 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2014-01-20 05:08:13)

DEV Zoom wrote:

If you want to have (another) full game reset topic, go ahead and do one, I won't take part in it. But in this topic it's considered offtopic.

Please no not this again Dont give this one subject traction Zoom it brings into question so many problems & legality issues that its not worth it.

Reset Gamma Terraforming & decon all buildings & move to alpha. Ans (maybe?) If possible refund Terra forming charges & leave it at that.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I understand, but I think it would be a mistake to do the reset before we have the exact plan.

edit:

Jita wrote:

terraforming without a terraforming plan would be awful - dont give yourself too much to do. Just make the terraforming tools in the planner follow the rules you set out.

That's the thing - it seems impossible to do it without leaving exploits. And then what's the point of it.

You would need to hard code all terrain to a maximum degree that would solve many issues. but by doing this you would need to re map all of the islands because the tile stretching ugly sheer face cliffs you hate so much are in alpha and beta islands that you designed.

make all terrain slopes max at 60 degrees that should be close to what you want ... problem is all the islands will start to look the same with different colored ground.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

119 (edited by Merkle 2014-01-20 06:00:09)

What we have... http://clip2net.com/s/6Dk1v4

What we should have... http://clip2net.com/s/6Dk209
The second allows freedom of movement but with a small buffing to turrets, and a look at ranges the movement will be kept open.
Just keep the amount of turrets small, as in 5-10 and you have your solution, just you need to make bases much harder and more hit-points.  So that players have the security to use them without being *** caged by another base.  No other base within 1km to 3km whatever distance you choose.

Terraforming for me is not a make or break thing to me, it doesn't make me get up at night and want to play the game, now I understand that some wish to continue to do so, and in time a happy balance can be struck.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

+1

This is it, no really need change any terraforming, OK I understand you dont want to see ugly ingame but hell after 2 year of Gamma terraforming you decided that???

So the easiest way should be what Merkle suggest. You dont have the DEVtime for better I think, maybe later 1-2 year after. We have WAY more WORSE problems than "ugly walls"!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

How about making turrets more powerful but raising occupied area to something like 200m or more? Would reduce lag considerably and favor well thought out turret placement instead of spam.

Ugly walls is only one of many issues inda that Zoom brought up. The current Terra forming mechanics we have right now are way to powerful to be given into the hands of players. 2 years to address this issues is to long but were here now & the Devs have finally pulled their finger out & are fixing what should have been fixed back when Gamma first came out on the test server.

I can even still link the thread where TFing was talked about lol on the Test server forums tongue

Inda wrote:
Merkle wrote:

+1

This is it, no really need change any terraforming, OK I understand you dont want to see ugly ingame but hell after 2 year of Gamma terraforming you decided that???

So the easiest way should be what Merkle suggest. You dont have the DEVtime for better I think, maybe later 1-2 year after. We have WAY more WORSE problems than "ugly walls"!

Also a few other things i think that are worth considering:
Some posts have talked about dropping the Island Terminal cap. Can i propose another idea (only new idea tongue )
Why not have a minimum distance between terminals? this would then allow the cap on Islands to be different due to Island shape / Good or bad player planning. This will create another factor in giving islands varying Appeal.

Movement around a Gamma island.
With Telleports now being open for roamers any one who lives on a Gamma will be at a disadvantage for moving around a island between different player built bases. Unlike Beta 2 islands there arnt any High ways to help you along between destinations. And unlike Beta 1 & 2 you dont have internal TP networks either.

So Devs please consider this whether you do anything about it now or in the near future.

Ill never stop asking for player built High ways tongue

Infact with the proposed changes & addition of maybe CPU & Grid this could be a good way to balance player Made highways. Make them require lots of Grid.
Or maybe have it so each terminal has a separate points system (depending on the Tech level of the station) that is the factor on the Length of Highways connected to it.
But make it the HWYs can be used by any one no matter standings & that they cant be damaged unless the station they are connected to is destroyed or w/e.

Just an idea smile

Why would anyone play and get invested in a game that gets radically changed more often then new content gets put in? All it takes is a little bird to cawk in Zoom's head and player-effort just gets flushed down the drain.

This is why nobody plays this game.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Burial wrote:

How about making turrets more powerful but raising occupied area to something like 200m or more? Would reduce lag considerably and favor well thought out turret placement instead of spam.

Turrets hit too *** hard as is.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

[13:29:59] <Inda> I wouldnt think they start to think about Gamma-s
[13:30:06] <Inda> this surprised me
[13:30:52] <Inda> the steam players wont do anyting about gamma btw
[13:31:04] <Inda> they will leave after 2 weeks of doing missions at alfa
[13:31:08] <Inda> becaus of boring
[13:31:19] <Inda> just 10 % will see the Gamma-s
[13:31:39] <Inda> so if i would a DEV I wouldnt care about gamma

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD