1 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-19 21:48:04)

Topic: Gamma PvP

Setting aside the political discussions/bugs/differences, I just want to say something.

This past week+ has been the most interesting, dynamic, exciting PvP experiences I have seen in a long time in any game.  (including 10 years of EVE pvp)

At first, I thought Gamma seemed meh. I was very wrong. 

Dev Zoom,

You have something very unique here and I think if more people get involved in it, Perp can put itself on the map.

Cheers

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

2 (edited by Burial 2013-12-19 21:51:02)

Re: Gamma PvP

I agree, Gamma PVP can be lots of fun when excluding the problems with lag and crashes. Despite all the political things that are going on and Serious Business™, I've had a lot of fun too so props to you for bringing it. Things have been stale for too long! smile

3 (edited by Blocker 2013-12-20 01:52:47)

I agree, great post Rage.

It is refreshing to see a post wihtout any of the bile, rage, bitterness that has been appearing in these forums lately. A lot of the stuff in the forums lately has been nasty and unnecessary. It does not present a very nice community to any potential new players, and the type of community is a factor for a lot of people when evaluating a new game.

We want new players to come and play perp right guys? We need to put aside old grievances and show new players (when they come) that perp is a great game. We can still have a dig at each other and a bit of trash talk, but do it with a smile and a bit of humour.

Here in AU and NZ we have made an art form out of taking the piss out of each other, and having a laugh at the same time.

anyway, just some thoughts and again, great post Rage..

[edit] for my bad book learning (spelling)

Burial wrote:

I agree, Gamma PVP can be lots of fun when excluding the problems with lag and crashes. Despite all the political things that are going on and Serious Business™, I've had a lot of fun too so props to you for bringing it. Things have been stale for too long! smile

You ever play EVE bro? Ever warp to blackscreen? If this game gets bigger, the Lag Monster will be sure come for us all.

Sparking to other games

Speaking of PvP, some of the more fun very small fights was with TOG on Alsbale a week + ago.

Blocker wrote:

I agree, great post Rage.

It is refreshing to see a post wihtout any of the bile, rage, bitterness that has been appearing in these forums lately. A lot of the stuff in the forums lately has been nasty and unnecessary. It does not present a very nice community to any potential new players, and the type of community is a factor for a lot of people when evaluating a new game.

We want new players to come and play perp right guys? We need to put aside old grievances and show new players (when they come) that perp is a great game. We can still have a dig at each other and a bit of trash talk, but do it with a smile and a bit of humour.

Here in AU and NZ we have made an art form out of taking the piss out of each other, and having a laugh at the same time.

anyway, just some thoughts and again, great post Rage..

[edit] for my bad book learning (spelling)

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

6 (edited by Inda 2013-12-20 07:52:29)

Inda on TeamSpeak 2 days ago:

"This was one of the most exiting Gamma fight ever in my Perpetuum history" (ok I hadnt too much wink ).

So I agree Gunner, if we got the right Gamma Perpetuum could RISE to the STARs !!!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

My hope has always been to have fights on gamma like we have been having. We just need more people and more corporations involved. The huge walled off gamma islands have been hindering some exciting gameplay for a long time now I think.

At some point we will have to visit the 12 terminal per island thing and find a way to fix that somehow... But things are looking up either way.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Even from a production/Indy perspective.  The aggression we have seen at our gama has pulled us together into a tighter knit corp.  My guys are all working their *** off to secure our location against the "bad guys".  Although we don't have a strong pvp force we have defended our *** off.  Gama is a fun and exciting place and I would love to see a hundred steam launch corps out here planting their flag like we did.

I think the biggest and most game breaking for gamma is free terraforming any were.

Pretty much makes any gamma island a hughe base thats LOCKED IN  nothing comes in

TBH there shuld be just 1 terminal per gamma not 2 not 5,8 or 12...   this lest u atlest secure 1 teleport but the others will be oppen for attacks and add quite abit of risk on gamma.  atm i can just mine in peace for 12h and log off

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:

I think the biggest and most game breaking for gamma is free terraforming any were.

Pretty much makes any gamma island a hughe base thats LOCKED IN  nothing comes in

TBH there shuld be just 1 terminal per gamma not 2 not 5,8 or 12...   this lest u atlest secure 1 teleport but the others will be oppen for attacks and add quite abit of risk on gamma.  atm i can just mine in peace for 12h and log off

It still has to be relatively secure if not you could lose all your stuff from terminals. Once all the gammas are full , and with  enough players gamma will be higher risk.

RIP PERPETUUM

Hydra Merchant wrote:

Even from a production/Indy perspective.  The aggression we have seen at our gama has pulled us together into a tighter knit corp.  My guys are all working their *** off to secure our location against the "bad guys".  Although we don't have a strong pvp force we have defended our *** off.  Gama is a fun and exciting place and I would love to see a hundred steam launch corps out here planting their flag like we did.

You havn't seen anything....  Yet...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … e-problem/

Got to look at it from another perspective.  We tried to set up a production facility to help supply the game with equipment.  Because of hostility our gama went from being very passive production facility to a blob of defences.  Estimel may not have been preset at these moments of attack, but its because of the aggression of his corp that our gama is now so defended.  So basically its the pvp on gama that warrents blob defences that ends up preventing pvp.  Its a logical solution to any gama that's vulnerable to pvp, so it in the end all successful gama's will prevent pvp.  How can that be fixed?

By continually rolling all gammas until people stop walling off islands. Sad but true.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

You would crap yourself if you were part of the PvP on gamma a few weeks ago.

It was wild.

Hydra Merchant wrote:

Got to look at it from another perspective.  We tried to set up a production facility to help supply the game with equipment.  Because of hostility our gama went from being very passive production facility to a blob of defences.  Estimel may not have been preset at these moments of attack, but its because of the aggression of his corp that our gama is now so defended.  So basically its the pvp on gama that warrents blob defences that ends up preventing pvp.  Its a logical solution to any gama that's vulnerable to pvp, so it in the end all successful gama's will prevent pvp.  How can that be fixed?

Rex Amelius wrote:
Burial wrote:

You ever play EVE bro? Ever warp to blackscreen? If this game gets bigger, the Lag Monster will be sure come for us all.

Yep, can't wait to see what lag is like when there's 500+ in general

Gamma PVP is fun but even so being able to wall off an island 2km out from TPs is still bad design & the longer this isnt fixed the more nerd rage the devs will cop in the future.
Since more people will have sunk time into building these kind of defenses. 

IMO better to get some kind of nerf / mechanic change with a small population & follow up later on with some further balancing.

Agreed especially as there are far less gamma bases than there used to be

None of that matters if there are people active on both sides that know what they are doing.

Homer J Simpson wrote:

Gamma PVP is fun but even so being able to wall off an island 2km out from TPs is still bad design & the longer this isnt fixed the more nerd rage the devs will cop in the future.
Since more people will have sunk time into building these kind of defenses. 

IMO better to get some kind of nerf / mechanic change with a small population & follow up later on with some further balancing.

Hydra Merchant wrote:

but its because of the aggression of [-77-] that our gama is now so defended.

Actually we did you a favor by showing you how vulnerable your base was.  Undefended gamma bases are not a good idea.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC