Re: Poll: The "followbot" mechanic

I'm an indy guy and I loved the support role.

It would be nice to see even more synergy between mining/harvesting EP and support role EP. That would allow players to stay mostly focused on improving their Indy skills but still be desirable and effective out on the battle field.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Not being able to follow a locked target is probably the best solution that doesn't hurt other uses so I think we'll go with that.

A quick and simple work around.

Have a Light Ewar, masked (works with anything really), It follows you in whatever bot you wish.

That light Ewar Targets something else and boosts it, giving out RSA's Ect Ect.  The target its boosting is doing the same.

http://clip2net.com/s/6xBonZ

Here is a quick and simple picture illustrating what will happen.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

I think Burial explained the same.

The only thing your nerfing is ANY bots that a range fit and have to move.  Now are your going to nerf ERPs?  since that's the ONLY pvp that's going to happen.  Shotgun fits and close range bombs.  That's dumb and takes out dynamics in pvp.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

155 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-08 02:09:59)

Dev Zoom,

There are half a dozen worarounds for these ideas.

Just leave it.

You are going to end up scewing PVE people more than pvp people.

Gunner wrote:

Dev Zoom,

There are half a dozen worarounds for these ideas.

Just leave it.

You are going to end up scewing PVE people more than pvp people.

+1

If you think this is about PvP vs PvE then you're mistaken. This is about making it *harder* to play with multiple accounts, be it PvP or PvE.

I'm sure you know a dozen workarounds by using 4 accounts instead of 2, two people working together (in an mmo, oh my) etc., but what you don't seem to realize is that it is actually about that 2 vs 4.

So your nerfing ERPs right?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I think this is *** stupid..

160 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-08 09:48:10)

We always work together.  That is why opposite side dies a lot.

You have some personal vendetta about people playing with more than one account, but the game itself forces people to or they get a very small picture of the game with just one.

You screw people over and over and you have less and less people play.

ridiculous

There are two people crying about it and they are the biggest idiots around here.

Dev Zoom, will you be satisfied when there is just one guy left playing??

DEV Zoom wrote:

If you think this is about PvP vs PvE then you're mistaken. This is about making it *harder* to play with multiple accounts, be it PvP or PvE.

I'm sure you know a dozen workarounds by using 4 accounts instead of 2, two people working together (in an mmo, oh my) etc., but what you don't seem to realize is that it is actually about that 2 vs 4.

161 (edited by Burial 2014-01-08 12:11:50)

Whats the point of implementing it half-assed when people even before the change find a workaround for the problem without having to bring any additional bots to the field?

The good: Pocket tacklers are getting a nerf.
The bad: Little difference in bigger engagements.
The ugly: People already finding effective workarounds.

I don't think any system or mechanic should be implemented without careful planning. You have currently spent 0 hours coding that mechanic - why not take the time before implementation and designing it well so it's not breakable right from the start?

Gunner wrote:

You have some personal vendetta about people playing with more than one account, but the game itself forces people to or they get a very small picture of the game with just one.

Completely agreed here with the bolded statement! Most of the roles people dual and triple are extremely passive: Demob and follow. RSA, rep and follow and the list goes on. If it's possible to make those mindless follow roles harder to play then by all means it should be done.

Why is single bot solo PVP practically dead considering how many people in MMOs prefer that?
Why is farming in a heavy and follow ways easier and faster than farming in a kiting heavy without follow?

@Gunner: Why do you think moving to the mindset of nerfing dual and triple boxers is a bad thing?

162 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-01-08 11:18:54)

Burial wrote:

...among other stupid stuff... Why is single bot solo PVP practically dead considering how many people in MMOs prefer that?

Burial, as usual you have no idea what you are talking about and you have one of the biggest flappers in the forums. When was single bot PVP the norm?

Like EVE (EVE EVE EVE EVE) pvp in a game like this requires TEAMS working together, whether small tight nit squads or big flapping blobs. You think we're not working together but relying on follow like its the God-send? ...be prepared to continue to be stomped... because guess what, you suck, and we're better than you. And if steam is success and more PvPers come to game you will be shocked by the teamwork and precision others will bring to the game. So, make your nerf Christmas list. Nothing is going to save you from yourself sucking so hard.

Sparking to other games

163 (edited by Burial 2014-01-08 12:44:46)

Despite all the trolling I still reply you. Unless you bring some genuine points out don't expect another reply.

You are wrong. Team PVP should not be the only thing there is. In marketing strategy it's called appealing to wider audience and since it's a PVP game that struggles with playerbase, don't you think it's a sensible thing to do? EVE has a lot of solo PVP content so I don't understand why you pointed it out.

Try to understand it: Follow nerf is not a nerf against team players and it does not devalue teamplay. It's a nerf against dual and tripleboxers.

By the way, why are you so hellbent on the idea that it's just a campaign against you? Do you feel that dangered? I'm sure elite mercenaries like you can make everything work, fairly, without everyone double and tripleboxing. Rite. If not I'm sure Syndic can come and help you mercenaries out for only a little bit of your dignity.

Ville wrote:

The only thing your nerfing is ANY bots that a range fit and have to move.  Now are your going to nerf ERPs?  since that's the ONLY pvp that's going to happen.  Shotgun fits and close range bombs.  That's dumb and takes out dynamics in pvp.

Nerfes the fits that are only possible with a support follow bot? Nothing bad here then.

If you want 1v1 then you will need an arena and instances or some other strict rule base. You may see more of it in the upcoming training world, but there's still no guarantee or not getting ganked. "Honor" is not a game mechanic.

As the game is, where territory and asset control means something you will not see much solo pvp except from those rare individuals specializing in at a personal game-play choice. So dream on in should-land or find a whole new game.

As for being hell-bent, It's sickening to see Dev Zoom so easily swayed. I have little faith in you sir.

I have used a follow bot in PvP exactly twice, so I doubt it will affect me at all. And If i do decide to use on on occasion, then there are plenty of work-arounds, and given my teammates know about communication and cooperation, should be almost no difference.

Meanwhile another mechanic is changing unnecessarily due to a low population permitting *** to have a voice.

Sparking to other games

Gunner wrote:

Dev Zoom,

There are half a dozen workarounds for these ideas.

Just leave it.

You are going to end up screwing PVE people more than pvp people.

Gunner is 110% right.  This entire idea is dumb. Dont you have bigger things to screw up then the follow bot mechanic. Leave it the way it is.

Burial: correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason people have a followbot with a specialized role (demob, RSA, whatever), is so they can arm their main bot with weapons and tunings to the teeth. And they do this because there is an easy way.

You can argue that a bot whose only job is to demobilize is boring and you're probably right, but there would be no such bot if you couldn't have it on follow. YOU would have to incorporate that one ability into your fit (equip a demob by sacrificing a tuning for example). Or a real friend who is capable of operating more than a demob.

I dare to say it's only boring because the mechanics let you (the players) make it boring.

Remove follow completely, lets see what happens.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

168 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-01-08 15:26:56)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Burial: ... You can argue that a bot whose only job is to demobilize is boring and you're probably right.

Seriously do not know why you address that man at all about pvp. Or why you assume what role is fun or not. Being a Tackler is hardly boring. Its a critical role that would normally be filled by lesser EP players in higher population world. Now that ewar put you on the KB makes it even better.

Zoom you seriously need to start playing your own game.

My experience is that those who run DPS bots most of the time find all other roles boring, and typically cry to anything that hinders the effectiveness of their DPeniS.

Yes, its possible to have follow bot with specific demob role just hanging around. But to be an effective demobber you cannot control two clients. Your other client will be on follow or doing nothing unless you are Mad-Skillz-McMulti-Boxer.

If I want two bots on the field I can lose two bots. I don't see the big issue. These 'problems' are population related, nothing else.

Whats to stop someone running two long range grophos just sitting back cycling targets. Slippery slope is slippery. Don't slip Zoom.

Sparking to other games

169 (edited by Line 2014-01-08 15:57:30)

Nerf is all about follow in PvP.
You claim that you don't use it and it's all your teamwork.
As a result, nerf doesn't even pass near to you.
Why on Nia do you keep whining?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

170 (edited by Burial 2014-01-08 16:15:23)

@Rex, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly, but I didn't mean 1 vs 1 fights when I mentioned solo PVP. I completely agree with you that there is little to no honor in PVP and pursueing it would be wasted effort. This fix can improve solo PVPer chances. There's a big difference fighting a gang that all singlebox their accounts vs the same amount of players who all dual- or triplebox tackles, detectors and jamms.

@Zoom, I think you are right about players making the role more boring than needed. Part of the problem is that there are bots that allow it. Maxed skill Castel MK2 with medium aux fit is the most easymode tacklebot ever. It's possible to demob any solo bot and go AFK. It won't be able to break you unless it's a heavy neuter or fit specifically to kill such tacklers and nothing else. If it would actually be required to seek out cover to not explode it would be completely different story and harder to play. This is not crying about enemy and unfairness boo-hoo against myself, I play Castel MK2 detector+tackle and I know how powerful it is.

I don't think using follows to maximise damage output is the worst case scenario. Big issue is using RSA follow bots to archieve fits that are otherwise unreachable by anyone who doesn't do the same, for example max range heavies etc. This is where it's gamebreaking and people who own only single account feel omitted.

Range extender bonuses are cumulative(as are most other bonus-items in head slots!). Each added range extender adds more raw optimal range than the earlier because they work with the previously modified value. The last few range extenders that people with RSA follows fit will add most raw optimal range so it's extremely favorable to ditch local amps.

I'm now not suggesting to nerf range extenders but showing just another little facet that favors people going dualbox. Some might say the problem can be population related but I don't think so. It's just as easy to roll follow bots with more people as it is with less so why should it change? It's more beneficial to have a heavy+follow and seperate logistics guys than just heavy and logistics guys.

171 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-01-08 16:11:51)

Line wrote:

Nerf is all about follow in PvP.
You claim that you don't use it and it's all your teamwork.
As a result, nerf doesn't even pass near to you.
Why on Nia do you keep whining?

Nerf is result of whiners who cry about muti-boxing 'pay to win' in areas where they personally suck.

Nerf affects only fraction of indented targets and does not at all hinder muti-boxing DPS space-bar bots

*edit: okay, that's already too personal. Argue or not, but leave me out. - DEV Zoom

Sparking to other games

Line: I wanted to ask the same actually smile

Rex, you argue that a followbot is way less effective as compared to an actual player controlled bot, and that's a good thing. The change only enables that players don't even have to think about the inferior method. I think much of this followbot craze is based on "they do it so I have to do it too to stay competitive". The aim here is to tip the balance towards "f*ck it, that's too much effort, I'll do it with one bot".

173 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-08 16:27:25)

ugh

Zoom,  we will still all have follow bots.

Our follow will just tickle a friend instead of the person it is following -

If you want to have the effect you are looking for, you must turn off Follow all together.

That is the only way to get the result you want,

Oh yeah and *** a lot of people who dont deserve it in the process

oh yeah and the funny thing is you will making 2 or 3 people happy (minority) and pissing off a whole lot of other people pve and pvp alike

a series of bad decisions continues

174 (edited by Burial 2014-01-08 16:26:09)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Line: I wanted to ask the same actually smile

Rex, you argue that a followbot is way less effective as compared to an actual player controlled bot, and that's a good thing. The change only enables that players don't even have to think about the inferior method. I think much of this followbot craze is based on "they do it so I have to do it too to stay competitive". The aim here is to tip the balance towards "f*ck it, that's too much effort, I'll do it with one bot".

You hit the nail in the head with this post!

Gunner wrote:

ugh

Zoom,  we will still all have follow bots.

Our follow will just tickle a friend instead of the person it is following -

If you want to have the affect you are looking for, you must turn off Follow all together.

That is the only way to get the result you want,

Thanks for pointing it out. But simple no-follow rule for PVP flagged bots is enough.

Burial: I'm not afraid to admit that this is only a band-aid and the real solution would be to balance everything so people don't feel the need for support followbots. However that would need a lot more time than what we can put into it right now.

Then again, I could also argue that if you could do everything by yourself the optimal way there wouldn't be any reason to have remote support at all, followbot or actual player.

edit: But yeah, I can be convinced to include PvP flag into the rule, I know my reason for that to leave out isn't that strong.