1 (edited by Gunner 2013-12-10 21:45:25)

Topic: Greenlight - Free-2-Play 2.0 - "unlocking" accumulated ep

** Up front **   This idea isn't about getting back old lost EP, this model is present/future Steam/Greenlight idea.  Thanks-

This is a simple concept for a Free-2-Play model.

Generally, an account that is not paid (Free) accumulates EP @ 1 per minute, but the EP is "locked". If you want to use the EP, you pay to.   Simple.    (This is not the whole idea, but the concept to base it around)

(Perhaps free account locked EP accumulation @ 0.8x to give "Loyal subs" a reason to be)

There is a counter up top and in the skills menu that shows you how much you "could unlock" any time just by paying to.

The cost to unlock ep that is normal with an ICE unlocking 43,200 EP, or a fraction of that and the rest of the time is just considered subbed time where you gain EP direct to the useable EP pool.

ICE and ICE cubes:

ICE is still an item you can buy for $10 and trade on market etc.

ICE cubes are in-game items that you can get four of if you break down an ice.  You get 4 ice cubes for one ice which represents one week of sub time or can "unlock" up to a week of locked EP. ice cubes are items in game that can be traded and sold on the market.

This idea is a work in progress and I didnt think of the concept, one of the Biker Gang members brought it up last night.

I think this concept is better than anything I have thought of or heard of to date.

Cosmetics -      Use Ice Cubes to purchase paint cans for painting bots etc.  ??  something, this game is missing tons of F2P cosmetic options aka  "Shineys" as Line mentioned

Further thoughts F2P related concepts -

Perhaps a free account would have to at least log in and do a mission or participate in something for 5/10 minutes - I have seen this idea before in games and it gets people to just log in and see what is going on-.  A true subbed account wouldnt have to do this ---   convenience

Once this is done, it locks in your Could-have EP for 1440 ep, that could be unlocked later if you paid ice or ice cube.

Generally speaking, for a person that is having fun, they would want to use the EP and therefore pay a week or a month to get a chunk to spend on cool skills.

A lot of modern F2P games function at least in part by the "This is what you have and this is what you could have".   Convenience things.

What I liked about this idea is if a person really liked it, he would drop $50.00 on ice or whatever to unlock everthing hes been saving which is great income for the Dev crew.

2 (edited by Gunner 2013-12-10 20:24:07)

Re: Greenlight - Free-2-Play 2.0 - "unlocking" accumulated ep

Other general ideas related to this that have been kicking around in my head -

Unpaid - Free accounts - do gain small EP - maybe  25% normal  - i dont like this but there is something here

Free accounts can grind missions to get tokens and tokens can be turned in to another 25% of full ep. - kicking this around??   something  just a thought - concept

Other tasks to be done to push up your 25% to 50% - something

"Daily mission" - people can have a daily mission available or a daily series to complete to push up their % - not sure something here though

The point of some of these things is to reward people for playing every day or doing something - The game WarZ on their premium model gave you something small just for logging in each day, just a simple idea.

Micro items - other items that are dropped that in large number can be turned in to up %

I dunno, there are a number of posibilities.

Again, I am not a real big fan of F2P for games like this but I think greenlight people will just pass this up because its older and the engine is dated etc.  I dont mind that at all but I am trying to look at this from a perspective of average person on steam.

3 (edited by Inda 2013-12-10 18:48:02)

Gunner stop it pls, we are know now what you think after 3-4 post.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

4 (edited by Gunner 2013-12-10 19:02:10)

Please be constructive posting here.

I am posting these ideas here so Zoom could look at them. 

Other people can add constructive thoughts positive or negative.

All those topics can be merged into one named "Ways for players to get missed EP back".

6 (edited by Gunner 2013-12-10 20:29:13)

I am sorry, you are misunderstanding. This is a new clean idea that starts at greenlight.

I am not suggesting it applies to existing player's past unsubbed time in any way. (old "lost" EP)

--

Our legacy accounts are converted to Greenlight accounts which will function on the new model from that point on. 

We dont have access to lost EP, that was a seperate idea.

This idea is not mine, I suggested it be discussed here because it actually fits in somewhat with a moden F2P game.

Burial wrote:

All those topics can be merged into one named "Ways for players to get missed EP back".

Ok so, constructive questions.

Gunner, you would like to incentives more the new players, for player retention? Why you think of this idea? What was your problem about the current mechanics? I would like to understand what you would earn before I tell anything.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

8 (edited by Gunner 2013-12-11 01:39:56)

The current mechanics have lead to this ultra low population.

You tell me what is right.

anyways, they have something up their sleeve, so I'm not going to put any more energy in to these ideas

I thought it was clever and wanted to share it.

o/

Inda wrote:

Ok so, constructive questions.

Gunner, you would like to incentives more the new players, for player retention? Why you think of this idea? What was your problem about the current mechanics? I would like to understand what you would earn before I tell anything.

9 (edited by Hunter 2013-12-11 04:37:12)

Long time in a galaxy, far-far away...

To the DeV's: I would advice to start erase offtopics or repeated topics. This is a wide practice else forums became to scrapyard.

To Gunner and other players who wanna post "new" idea: Guys you don't know how to use search?.. Or you really believe that you are smartest ppl here with most fresh ideas?..

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

10 (edited by Diamond 2013-12-11 04:56:54)

Nobody understands most of what you write, Hunter. Most of it is filled with attitude and negativity.

We have a saying in the Western World:

"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

11 (edited by Hunter 2013-12-11 05:14:24)

Diamond wrote:

Nobody understands most of what you write, Hunter. Most of it is filled with attitude and negativity.

We have a saying in the Western World:

"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

My "negativity" formed up by the local atmosphere. Why should i be nice if crаp everywhere? - Anyway the world and people won't be better. I've tried enough, so...

Do you really believe that i would talk sh*t if most part of people would be polite here?

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

I dont like the idea of relating anything payable like ICE to EP, since it's a core mechanism in this game.

If you really want Perp to go F2P, then look at games that do it the right way. Cosmetic is the way forward!!!

Gunner, thinking about new ideas is fine, but I personally think most here just don't want P2Win in any format.

Simply put, if the content is good enough people will pay for it.
This game does not suffer because of the sub fee. Or more specifically its not the root cause of low pop.

We have pay2win.  Its called Ice Ice Baby.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I personally think that it was good ideas from Gunner. Why not introduce a f2p system like he suggests? I can't see anything wrong with it at all. It will get more peeps to try it from the get go. While others won't even touch it if you have to pay something for it. And having EP being locked up, will make those peep feel good about themselves if they wanna start paying for the game, and know that all that EP wasn't lost on them. And every1 else that were here before can still feel almighty bout themselves. What this game needs the most is more players. A system like this will at least bring new peeps to test it. While the old one barely brought any new players in. It's time to do SOMETHING about it.
And stop crying about who came up with what idea first. Just drop that ego attitude at the door. Doesn't help the game or any1. Just brings in unneccesary negativity for no reason whatsoever...

F2P should have EP cap of, say, 200k and only 1 F2P client running per machine/IP.

That could work.

Burial wrote:

F2P should have EP cap of, say, 200k and only 1 F2P client running per machine/IP.

That could work.

Basically, they could have extensions cap instead, says, at 5. Probably, some skills unable to train (like in that, other game)

But we already had fleets of trial miners, fleets of artie hunters, fleets of teleport watchers, fleets of probe killers, etc etc and all of them were trials. Do we really need more of those, without time limitations?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

18 (edited by Punk Panther 2013-12-30 20:16:52)

Line wrote:
Burial wrote:

That could work.

Basically, they could have extensions cap instead, says, at 5. Probably, some skills unable to train (like in that, other game)

But we already had fleets of trial miners, fleets of artie hunters, fleets of teleport watchers, fleets of probe killers, etc etc and all of them were trials. Do we really need more of those, without time limitations?

Most other MMO-games have some sort of f2p-model and it works for ost of them. In a game like Perp, that is a competative sandbox game, there need to be limitations like a skill cap, or EP-cap, or Gunners version of locked EP. Most people WILL sub to be able to fully play the game if they like. And maybe you can limit f2p accounts to one per IP or something.
Either way, if there is more trial miners etc, that brings life to the game, and conflicts can arise, and peeps will start looking for those players as well, and game will feel more alive, and more will be drawn to it, and more will sub from being *** on f2p accounts, cause they won't stand a chance to a subbed player etc. All this I think can only benefit the game. wink

There has to be a restriction on how many F2P clients can be executed on a single machine or single IP. Without it, there's no way it would work - more pain than gain.

would rather have 20 guys on a single ip than this ghost town