Re: - Spark Teleport - Power Projection - Now with poll!

DEV Zoom wrote:
Brutux wrote:

Zoom, are you afraid to add the option of "no change at all"?
Because based on your current active player base, that would win hands down. Right?

We are going for the change, so it would not be relevant to have it as an option. Much like "I don't care either way, kittens" options.

And sorry everyone but ideas that would take months to develop and balance are not helping us here and now. (Changes to ownership mechanics, limit gamma structures (and I KNOW it's needed), buildable teleports, etc.)

Understand. But you are basically deciding to make a change because of low population (as you stated in a previous post in this thread). My question is would you then reverse this change if the population increases?

I really don't think a knee-jerk "lipstick on a pig" reaction to this will fix things in the immediacy.  But I guess I will take from this post is you acknowledge what I suggested as a possible solution, or at least an area to look towards, in order to fix the root causes of the problems with this game. I understand your resources.

Brutux wrote:

Understand. But you are basically deciding to make a change because of low population (as you stated in a previous post in this thread). My question is would you then reverse this change if the population increases?

I also wrote that I think it would scale well with a larger population too.

And I wouldn't call this knee-jerk. Knee-jerk would have been if I accepted Ville's first proposal smile I admit I waited to see whether the discussion dies, but it just didn't. So a decision had to be made eventually, and looking at the number of posts and different views it was obvious that there would never be a solution which everyone agrees on, be it either "do something" or "leave it as it is".

DEV Zoom wrote:
Brutux wrote:

I also wrote that I think it would scale well with a larger population too.

And I wouldn't call this knee-jerk. Knee-jerk would have been if I accepted Ville's first proposal smile I admit I waited to see whether the discussion dies, but it just didn't. So a decision had to be made eventually, and looking at the number of posts and different views it was obvious that there would never be a solution which everyone agrees on, be it either "do something" or "leave it as it is".

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Now STC and friends will QQ huge tears that you're on Ville's side! I don't envy you your position my friend.

I would put:

Alpha 1 1 points
Alpha 2 2 points
Beta 3 points
Beta NPC 4 points
Gamma 2 points

with gamma moving to three at some point in the future but give the gamma guys some time to adapt.

hey if you wanna fix something fix the private message TO box it isnt even there lol

281 (edited by Inda 2013-11-17 08:02:20)

Easy: Alpha1=, =Alpha2 = 1, Beta terminal=, Gamma=, =Beta outpost = 2

VOTE

This even not too much spark. I would need at least 2 or 3 Gamma to suit my Gamma presents.
Gamma movement without spark is it the pain in the a**

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Why restrict the movement around alpha 1's at all ? It's not like there is any strategic value in an alpha 1 island. They are primarily training grounds for the new players, or at least that's the way I see it. You have to travel to an alpha 2 to get to a beta island anyway..

I think Inda has the best idea, I would like to add the following suggestion:

• alpha1 = no restriction

• alpha2 = 1 - Stepping stone to beta therefore has strategic value so must have some cost.

• beta terminal = 1, only one NPC terminal in beta1 islands anyway and let's encourage people to go there, not restrict them.

• beta outpost = 2

• gamma = 3

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Blocker wrote:

Why restrict the movement around alpha 1's at all ? It's not like there is any strategic value in an alpha 1 island. They are primarily training grounds for the new players, or at least that's the way I see it. You have to travel to an alpha 2 to get to a beta island anyway..

• alpha2 = 1 - Stepping stone to beta therefore has strategic value so must have some cost.

• beta terminal = 1, only one NPC terminal in beta1 islands anyway and let's encourage people to go there, not restrict them.

• beta outpost = 2

• gamma = 3

Whit these low credit ideas does not change what the current problem is and thats having way to many targets to teleport to..    Removing credits from alpha 1 and adding only 1 to alpha 2  saves u who whant to put morre sparks on beta/gammas the points u need for it

284 (edited by Blocker 2013-11-17 11:04:40)

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:

• beta outpost = 2

• gamma = 3

Whit these low credit ideas does not change what the current problem is and thats having way to many targets to teleport to..    Removing credits from alpha 1 and adding only 1 to alpha 2  saves u who whant to put morre sparks on beta/gammas the points u need for it

Well if you only get 10 points, and that is if you have the teleport skill maxed, then consider this:
you have one spark at each alpha2 terminal = 3 points
you have one spark at a  gamma island = 3 points
That leaves 4 points so that's 2 beta 2 outposts..
Even less if you have a spark at a NPC beta island terminal as well..

That to me seems like quite a sufficient restriction. I only have the TP skill at 7 anyway, so it's even less for me.
If anything it gives more of an advantage to non-gamma owners as you have more spark points to use.

I don't understand how you can say it does not make any difference. At the moment, if I have lvl 10 in TP, I can set 10 destinations, if I choose to not have any alpha islands destinations then I can set 10 beta destinations.

If one beta destination costs 2 lvl's of skill then the max destinations I can have is 5. How is that not addressing the current issue ? It's less than the current system allows which is what you are after isn't it ?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Well, Mongolia Jones' slots idea, but to specify and expand a bit:

* Your 10 target slots become 10 "slot credits"
* Different terminals/outposts cost different slot credits:
   - 1 slot: Alpha 1 terminals and outposts
   - 2 slot: Alpha 2 and Beta main terminals
   - 3 slot: Beta outposts and Gamma terminals
* Teleport fee would depend on range to the target, could be in the range of 10,000-5,000,000 NIC on an exponential curve

And I have to talk to the guys about this, can't tell any dates until that.

The teleport fee is nice and seals the deal to prevent the:

back and forth instant jumping
back and forth
back and forth
back and forth

Cost adds to decision making.

Is it really worth going here a million times per day from Turtle beach?

Liking these ideas a lot!

Blocker wrote:
Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:

• beta outpost = 2

• gamma = 3

Well if you only get 10 points, and that is if you have the teleport skill maxed, then consider this:

That to me seems like quite a sufficient restriction. I only have the TP skill at 7 anyway, so it's even less for me.
If anything it gives more of an advantage to non-gamma owners as you have more spark points to use.

I don't understand how you can say it does not make any difference. At the moment, if I have lvl 10 in TP, I can set 10 destinations, if I choose to not have any alpha islands destinations then I can set 10 beta destinations.

If one beta destination costs 2 lvl's of skill then the max destinations I can have is 5. How is that not addressing the current issue ? It's less than the current system allows which is what you are after isn't it ?

And why must u have 1 spark to all alpha ilands??  u can pick one and stick to it... 
This change is meant to have u To CHOSE were u whant to spark to instead of giving u access to spark any were u need to like the current system    tbh 1 alpha 1 gamma 1 beta is morre than enught sparking for deffence and movment.

Your side of the problem is that u spammed gammas whit ur basses of and holding all the beta ilands.

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:
Estamel Tharch0n wrote:

And why must u have 1 spark to all alpha ilands??  u can pick one and stick to it... 
This change is meant to have u To CHOSE were u whant to spark to instead of giving u access to spark any were u need to like the current system    tbh 1 alpha 1 gamma 1 beta is morre than enught sparking for deffence and movment.

Your side of the problem is that u spammed gammas whit ur basses of and holding all the beta ilands.

What I posted was just a suggestion, I'm not saying you MUST have what I said, I also used the word CHOOSE if you would care to read my post again.

Look personally I don't give a ***.. They can take the sparks away altogether for all I care. I was just making a suggestion. Don't tar me with that big whine brush you have, like I said I have lvl 7 which means 7 destinations max. That includes one alpha, one gamma, one NPC beta and 4 beta outposts out of a possible 15 beta stations. Considering I have more than one spark on 2 beta islands, that's hardly what I'd call "spamming" sparks.

Read my post again, this time with a slightly more open mind..

Blocker wrote:
Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:

What I posted was just a suggestion, I'm not saying you MUST have what I said, I also used the word CHOOSE if you would care to read my post again.

Look personally I don't give a ***.. They can take the sparks away altogether for all I care. I was just making a suggestion. Don't tar me with that big whine brush you have, like I said I have lvl 7 which means 7 destinations max. That includes one alpha, one gamma, one NPC beta and 4 beta outposts out of a possible 15 beta stations. Considering I have more than one spark on 2 beta islands, that's hardly what I'd call "spamming" sparks.

It was a terrible idea and my post still applys...

Also 4 betas alpha and gamma clearly thats not spark spammming.    U chuld not relly have morre than 1 beta 1 gamma at most.... this what u can spark were its important insted of were u whant to because u can.

Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:
Estamel Tharch0n wrote:

Also 4 betas alpha and gamma clearly thats not spark spammming.    U chuld not relly have morre than 1 beta 1 gamma at most.... this what u can spark were its important insted of were u whant to because u can.

I'm going to assume English is not your first language, because your posts are starting to just look like gibberish and you either don't seem to read mine or simply don't understand them. What part of this "Considering I have more than one spark on 2 beta islands" did you not understand ?

I'm at the point where I have no idea what point you are trying make. Initially you say want people to have less sparks and there have been suggestions which achieve this. Then you say those suggestions are no good because they don't go far enough.. That's fine, but that's just your opinion and has just as much value as anyone else. So I'm going to say your suggestions are rubbish too.. I'm done here, have a nice day...

290 (edited by Estamel Tharch0n 2013-11-17 12:27:07)

Blocker wrote:
Estamel Tharch0n wrote:
Blocker wrote:

I'm going to assume English is not your first language, because your posts are starting to just look like gibberish and you either don't seem to read mine or simply don't understand them. What part of this "Considering I have more than one spark on 2 beta islands" did you not understand ?

I'm at the point where I have no idea what point you are trying make. Initially you say want people to have less sparks and there have been suggestions which achieve this. Then you say those suggestions are no good because they don't go far enough.. That's fine, but that's just your opinion and has just as much value as anyone else. So I'm going to say your suggestions are rubbish too.. I'm done here, have a nice day...

Yes start insulting other ppls english skills when u have nothing morre to say and then just add alot of random crap abouth it that dosnt make any morre sense or add any thing to this thred.

Here is my point quite clear.   Personal oppinion:  I dont whant u to have morre than 1 beta 1 gamma spark
sure 1 alpha is fine to. 

Trying to keep 4-5 beta/gamma sparks is a joke and does not help the game as ppl only keep sparks were the most action is and whit this low population its not very hard to tell........

Soon u will offer me english lessons to right?

291 (edited by Burial 2013-11-17 12:50:12)

I get what you are after, Estamel, and I also suggested something like that but Zoom still liked the points system.

What really is going to happen is that people with Gamma will most likely have Gamma as their blood sparking homebase, Alphas wherever needed that reach Betas fast and alts with detectors inside Beta terminals/outposts for going over them fast. (That example is only valid on PVP characters and detector alts. Not sure what Indy players will do.)

This fix doesn't really change my gameplay much since I don't need any more Sparks on Gamma than one and Beta sparks are not nessecary with current island placement.

I would just like to point out that if you hope that changes the current political landscape in Betas, you might be in for a surprise.

292 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-11-17 13:36:46)

Burial wrote:

I get what you are after, Estamel, and I also suggested something like that but Zoom still liked the points system.

What really is going to happen is that people with Gamma will most likely have Gamma as their blood sparking homebase, Alphas wherever needed that reach Betas fast and alts with detectors inside Beta terminals/outposts for going over them fast. (That example is only valid on PVP characters and detector alts. Not sure what Indy players will do.)

This fix doesn't really change my gameplay much since I don't need any more Sparks on Gamma than one and Beta sparks are not nessecary with current island placement.

I would just like to point out that if you hope that changes the current political landscape in Betas, you might be in for a surprise.

Your right this fix wont change any game play really. On its own.

@ Zoom Balancing a mechanic like this thru cost only will solve nothing in fact it will hurt noobs WAY more than people like me.
The best way to balance spark TP use is thru hard coded timer cool downs.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Its not supposed to change much, its not a nerf to anyone really. I would only expect any changes when and if a third faction enters the game and two locations are consistently hit.

All this change does is make it harder to defend everywhere at once on beta and much harder on gamma which is exactly what was needed.

294 (edited by Burial 2013-11-17 14:41:06)

It's really a complicated issue. Small bases on Gamma can easily be rolled over within hours and turrets could be set up so evac is impossible. On the other hand there are bases that require more than half a day of shooting and big gang of heavies to even pass teleport defences if using conventional methods.

Why do you think defending Gamma should be harder?

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

@ Zoom Balancing a mechanic like this thru cost only will solve nothing in fact it will hurt noobs WAY more than people like me.

I know it won't hurt you and probably most veterans, but every time we want to introduce any NIC sink we get that argument, and in the end we hardly have any sinks smile

Burial wrote:

Why do you think defending Gamma should be harder?

Because gammas often need to be sieged. If you can spark around gammas cheaply it means you can be at any gamma instantly allowing the defending force to cover multiple islands without actually living there.

If gammas are expensive from a spark point of view then you have to choose where to plant your flag or risk being unable to get back to defend it.

00111001 wrote:

Its not supposed to change much, its not a nerf to anyone really. I would only expect any changes when and if a third faction enters the game and two locations are consistently hit.

All this change does is make it harder to defend everywhere at once on beta and much harder on gamma which is exactly what was needed.

Have you lived on Gamma? For defending Gamma all you need is one spark. To live on and fully utilize a Gamma island you need 2-3 sparks. So this suggestion punishes industrials, while it makes no difference to PvP type, they can still spark to where is needed.

Which is the opposite of what this change is intended to do.

The loudest critics of SpT are those who favour the roaming style of PvP, and those who are not currently holding Gammas and Beta outposts. Ville, Balf, Gunner, Mongolia. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the roam, I learned what little pvp skills I have with Mongolia, Gunner, and Balf and its a great and fun playstyle, it should be in the game. But it shouldn't be the only playstyle. And it doesn't require any SpT, you are simply roaming. this hue and cry against SpT is primarily to make roaming easier. other than a few minor tweeks at best SpT was fine. 5 minute cooldown and a 250 k nic fee would virtually solve any of the arguments the roaming side said that it was OP ...a roam could come in, hit a target, and get out before multiple SpT were utilized to respond ... a fair fight ... and the fee would allow at least a pause at non-stop teleporting. Nothing else was needed.

I played this game when there was no SpT, no Gamma, and travel was a ***. It was the biggest reason and complaint that I consistently heard from new players. SpT was in and made a huge difference to that end. Other things were introduced that have affected the gameplay far more adversly than SpT, walls, Gamma. orange and weaker NPC spawns ... yet SpT seems to be pointed at in this forum campaign as the "reason" PvP died, lol.

Estamel says we have too many Gammas.  We did not get those Gamma's because of SpT. We have them because we took them, and Killed PHM and Chaos and -12- Bases. The solution to us having too many Gammas should be to kill ours, this is supposed to be a game of conflict, remember.

Yes we took what we took after people left the game.  This is what you all tell us and for the most part its true.  Its also the reason why things are the way they are, not SpT. LOW POPULATION!

Almost without exception, the voices against SpT are those that need it least or those that have left the game and have returned to the game periodically or part time, while they are playing elsewhere. Probably waiting and hoping like all of us this game takes off and grows because at its core it should be a great game. But those who have asked to keep SpT close to what it is now are those who have built and maintain bases and gamma and spend far more time in game playing and utilizing the game, currently. At some point in the future the casual player may return, once again own and build assets (because its really not that hard) and then they will realize what a crippling change this proposed SpT modification really is to the game play and to newer players. This is a PvP game but it is also a very complex game of growth and building  and empires, the SpT change affects everything but PvP the greatest.

All that was needed was a short cooldown, 5 minutes at the most, and a higher nic charge, I would guess 250k,  Not too high as to kill any noob chance of using it, and not too low as to not make anyone think twice (yes I know there are ultra rich players)

Its a terrible change and terrible proposal that will adversely affect the future of this game.  It will not affect the future of the political lanscape, our bases will ONLY change when someone comes and takes them.

There's a point in here somewhere. Find it. Cheers.

298 (edited by Inda 2013-11-17 16:05:55)

[double post]

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Atticus good post!

This is why I think the numbers should be, and easy to remember also!

alpha : 1

PVP area: 2
This provide to you enough spark I think to gamma aslo.

Energy to Earth!

300 (edited by Burial 2013-11-17 16:55:25)

How about this:

Beta outposts your corporation owns: 3 points (4 points otherwise)
Gamma terminals your corporation owns: 2 points (3 points otherwise)

From PVP perspective it's not that much different. PVPers will probably want to stay closer to Betas anyway and not keep multiple sparks on Gammas. But from industrial viewpoint, it helps a lot.

@Zoom
I urge you to go to some Gamma and walk from one part of the island to the other. Feel free to use Imidero. Gammas have NO internal teleports whatsoever and nerfing Spark Teles to that extent(3 points) on Gamma is very bad idea.

The other side has said only bad things about getting to an island but what about using the island?
Gammas don't have highways, internal teleports and similar mechanics for moving on the island effectively. Available hauler bots are small and there is constant need for hauling stuff around after every OP. I'm not talking about volume that fits in one Scarab, but literally many Scarab trips back and forth per player. Why do you think one of us has 6 Scarab MK2 accounts?

By the way, do you notice how we don't really give a cr*p about Beta and are just worried about Gamma while Beta is supposedly the problem here?