Re: Gamma Suggestion. The Problem.

Sundial: I think just restricting the distance you can place terminal to the teleport is enough. Say the circle has 2km radius, you can't place terminal closer than 4km to tele.

As for restricting distance between terminals: I don't think that would be needed. The closer you put terminals to eachother, the less you have safe area, if someone wants to go that route, let him.

Two points

Whatever the size of your  base island add to that the maximum range of turrets.

Secondly limiting a base without limiting terraforming will just cause people to make walls with difficult terraforming.

So is STC going to practice what it preaches and take down the gates around imidero and other islands?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

79 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-09-04 14:42:14)

Sundial wrote:

remember Kentagura, never forget.

for the sake of the devils advocate, I would like to point out that once they changed the system, all the people who invested heavily in it got screwed and it caused a Corp to leave the game.  So the question is were we better off then as opposed to now?  These new changes that everyone is purposing only effect our alliance because no one outside of it has a gamma base. 

Remember Kentagura indeed, but also remember that once you drastically change a system that one side has invested billions of nic in, someone will always end up getting the s**t end of the stick.

Ville wrote:

So is STC going to practice what it preaches and take down the gates around imidero and other islands?

why would they do that when they got emperth and Yuraion Ro to use it on "for science" they call all their failed experiments i think? lol

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

A negative result is more valuable than a positive result in Science™

Martha Stuart wrote:
Sundial wrote:

remember Kentagura, never forget.

for the sake of the devils advocate, I would like to point out that once they changed the system, all the people who invested heavily in it got screwed and it caused a Corp to leave the game.  So the question is were we better off then as opposed to now?  These new changes that everyone is purposing only effect our alliance because no one outside of it has a gamma base. 

Remember Kentagura indeed, but also remember that once you drastically change a system that one side has invested billions of nic in, someone will always end up getting the s**t end of the stick.

Very true, but we have already been here before remember? Changes have been made to gamma restrictions already without a full wipe like Merkle suggests. Granted Gamma at the time was not as built up as it is now.

I think if gamma is not changed there wont be much interesting gameplay evolving around it besides the once in the blue moon there is a siege even if siege bots are added. But even then all gamma will be is building and completely kicking over sandcastles with no middle ground for any interesting dynamics. Maybe with more population we will get more people on the betas but regardless mining has been nerfed into an activity with no option for danger. I would like to see dangerous lucrative mining come back in one form or another.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

83 (edited by Merkle 2013-09-04 17:13:34)

Lets restate what I was hoping here.

IF any of this happens, ALL the individuals with bases should have them pulled down by the Dev's and all there "stuff" to be transported to the termail of there choosing.    (Terraforming too!) This should keep everyone happy, and re balance out what is needed without too much hurt.

Do not just jump changes on us, that always results in a player loss.  I do not wish that with this change.  Just make it a open process.  So that were all happy in the end.  Dev's your dealing with a small amount of players NOW, thus its far easier to change NOW then later.

Also please keep in mind, I do not speak for STC on this issue.  This is my personal Opinion.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle, your membership in STC is coming up for renewal....... smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

Merkle, your membership in STC is coming up for renewal....... smile

RAWR would take him

IF Rawr existed.

87 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-09-05 23:54:21)

Last I checked Rawr is in a state of little activity with only a 2-4 people playing fuuu

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

lets take the game lore into consideration.. is gama the front lines of the nian war?  no! you can't call 5 roaming red spawns per gama as being the nian front line force... there has to be a buffer zone between alpha and the organized mega structures of the nian forces.  Delta islands need to be supper heavy npc roams and maybe even boss spawns with respawn timers.  lets see what these wimpy nian's can field!  I want to see nian capitols with forces that can challenge 50+member corps.

I'm on to something here..  1700% increased red spawn activity on gama.   Give them the ability to target player made structures,  Give red indy the ability to undo terraforming...

gama becomes the front lines the benefit is the npc drops on the battlefield...

weekly ebbs in npc presence with rare random spawns of advanced mech that are stronger than the normal red npc.

gama becomes the front lines in the nian war where gama's have to be upkeep and repaired against an onslaught of npc's

programing wise it is 1 change to industrial ai, and one change to turrits/npc interactions

if pc's can put a plasma bomb in a sequer then so shouldn't the npc's.. prevents wall construction as walls will randomly be targeted by sappers.  that problem solved.. walls will need to be up kept also.

Posters like the above make me wish this was SA .. so i could report & get you banned for 3 days for triple posting hmm

WTB down vote button.

Some very good points from OP.

What no one seems to realize is after we exhaust our stockpiles of Epi, having to get it from Beta will effectively hamper unlimited expansion by one corp. Anyone building MPC know the amount of Epi needed for structures and terraforming, moving the mineral to Beta only does an excellent job of limiting Gamma growth, while making Beta valuable.

And please, warfare on gamma is not limited to siege only. There's plenty of PvP when there are actually defenders. No base is safe. As intended. It just takes time to wipe out something that players put a ton of effort into. This is also as intended.

There is nothing wrong with Gamma as is, especially when the Epi change becomes fully understood.
Merkle you are now shoot on sight.

WTB Down Vote Button.

96 (edited by Insidious Rex 2013-09-11 23:37:26)

Merkle wrote:

The problems with gamma are large.  Zero Access for a hostile force.  Completely safe mining environment.  Limited movement of forces through the general map.

1. No Base within 3k of a tele.
2. Base defenses can not sprawl more then a 3k radius.
3. Three bases Per Gamma.
4. Two Bases no closer then 2.5 Radius.
5. Buff Defensive reinforce timers. (Double Them)
6. Require Fuel for all Reactors. (No new minerals just existing ones.)
7. Re-balance turrets, possibly buff them.

As it stands now there is no eb and flow of gammas, some will say this will change when more players come into the game, I think the problem will just get far worse.  We need the ability to get roams ON islands, so that hostile forces can agrees and create conflict.

OP points 1-4 are pretty good, but hardly sufficient to solve the Terraforming and Control Problem. The ability to terraform and control teleports is probably the biggest issue in gamma imo. But then there are plenty of islands with nice little choke points that the above 1-4 would not address. Additionally you could always set up buffer islands to protect more remote 'industry' islands. But I'm happy to see the subject arise. Thanks OP ...for looking out for us.

I've not any Gamma building experience, and very very little assaulting gamma experience (just a small unpaid internship). So I will not even go there on points 5-7.

But generally, it's bad to be able to create a personal island all to yourself with free safe zones for all industry. Simply not enough risk and pretty much everyone knows it. So

+1 in general concept for OP