Re: Farming at mission points

Its because those 50kers have no incentive to leave that newbie area alone. The NIC farm is more effective there and what the hell can some 20ker do about it!

The only reply you will get to this is: Wait 3 years and this will even out, stop complaining about a pesky 3 years of unbalanced gaming. Derp. *

* Time frames exaggeratted to make for better dramatic content.

nope, the only repley you get is:
The DEVs are aware of the Problem and they are already working on solutions for it.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

28 (edited by Weapon X 2010-12-06 05:31:21)

I'm still trying to grind rep to get lvl 2 missions (cause I didn't do it at launch) and have a hard time competing for tags. God help the new players.

As I said in another thread there needs to be more spawns u can farm on a light effectively. This should be separate from the basic lvl 1 mission spawns. Even if they lower the loot reward slightly for the filch/mantis spawns and add a different spawn worth farming elsewhere.

Hopefully that gets ppl to rank 2 faster, allows the nic grinders get their loot, and ppl move out into the world away from the starter terminals. Of course the pve needs to be scaled throughout so it encourages ppl to move on once they can completely dominate the easy stuff.

I'm a new player, joined after the dynamic respawn patch and I had no problem completing the missions (I have read the forums before I've started , I knew what to expect so I spent lots of EP on targeting skills, (and still I have only spent 6k points altoger)
But the I agree that farming these level 1 mobs are too profitable compared to the lvl 2 mobs (which kicked my *** pretty bad when I tried to move on to lvl 2 missions, so I went back to continue farming lvl1s)
The fix for this problem should be soemthing like this:

less valuable loot from lvl1s
better rewards for lvl2 missions

This way those who can would move up to higher lvl missions, leaving the low level mobs for new players.

30 (edited by Deverell 2010-12-06 20:57:39)

I agree with Seridur's proposal, but really the solution is just to fit a sensor modual and be prepared to hit f1 or whatever your weapon is on right when it locks.

Untill they incentivise people to move on to level 2's you're just going to have to live with what you're given.

Sometimes when im farming level 1s im all by myself, othertimes I find myself looting Kernel farmer's cans to get the items I need for the mission and I dont have to waste a single bullet. Sometimes I pick up some nice mods to sell on the market too. ^_^

So really, there are Pro's to this...easy money! ^_^

The problem is 50kers not only get all the same targetting skills as you, but they are in better bots then you, weeks ahead of you. Especially if youre new and dont follow the exact formula.

I just got in to a Baphomet with 2 head slots for Amps, and im in good shape now. I had to waste WAY WAY too much of my already disadvantaged EP, trying desperately to keep up with 50kers. Ive now realized its not possible and I have to just suck it up. They rewarded beta players (can you imagine playing a tedious game like this for like over a year in beta, I shudder at the thought) with an advantage that will last forever, but a dominance that will last 4-5 monthes.

If someone is really bothered when having to invest some more minutes in completeing such a mission, then theres prolly something wrong with the attitude.

An integral part of this game is to achieve your goals allthough others are there to inhibit you. so find a way around that. i had the same problems and with a bit of sensor arrays and some points in the right spot - im targeting faster then any assault camping there. with abit of luck and tactic you even get the lock on against t2s. this overall situation points you in the right direction up from the beginning - this is actually good.

a group of 50kers is something else of course - this can be game/experience braking as a newb because there is no possibilitiy in making up that difference.

but then again - i can very good live with finding a way around that also. what are 30k more points atm? its 2-3 points more in 2-3 high multiplier skills. in 3 weeks its 1-2 points more in 1-2 high multiplier skills - in 1-2 months its nothing.

Henkst wrote:

If someone is really bothered when having to invest some more minutes in completeing such a mission, then theres prolly something wrong with the attitude.

Its not just a few minutes were talking about, I was doing a mission last night on the rookie mantis near Asintek Alpha Terminal, there was one guy locking the whole spawn down and this is with me in a Baph with 2 sens amps, problem was he could kill the mob before the next one popped and he clearly had invested points into quicker targetting, the end result was 30 mins of trying to complete a mission without any success.

If you count the number of spawns around the Alpha terminals your looking at around 10 areas, which could effectivly result in 30 players taking over and controlling every single spawn area on the alpha islands. This is a MMO not a highly populated LAN party.

Yorke wrote:

Its not just a few minutes were talking about, I was doing a mission last night on the rookie mantis near Asintek Alpha Terminal, there was one guy locking the whole spawn down and this is with me in a Baph with 2 sens amps, problem was he could kill the mob before the next one popped and he clearly had invested points into quicker targetting, the end result was 30 mins of trying to complete a mission without any success.

If you count the number of spawns around the Alpha terminals your looking at around 10 areas, which could effectivly result in 30 players taking over and controlling every single spawn area on the alpha islands. This is a MMO not a highly populated LAN party.

It does not even cover that many spawn points, there are only 7 (if i remember right) T1 quest spawn points around Daoden for example, this means only 7 or so players can lock out all combat mission areas for the brand new toons......the other points do not matter as much IMO, and those are the areas that they probably should start seeing some competition.
Having these few mission areas farmed like this, then being treated the way many of them are in game or here on the forums is enough to make many think twice about paying money.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Everyone just needs to spread out and be a little more patient.  I see spawns all over the map while mining that nobody is farming.  And nothing in the game needs to change to fix the current situation.  The only reason why anyone farms things in starter areas is because there's so many new manufacturing characters who need the kernels.  Once the majority have all that they need, you'll see prices of kernels drop significantly and people will stop farming them.  If you want to speed the process, don't buy kernels and fund the farmers ship purchases.

Paly Thoa wrote:

Everyone just needs to spread out and be a little more patient.  I see spawns all over the map while mining that nobody is farming.  And nothing in the game needs to change to fix the current situation.  The only reason why anyone farms things in starter areas is because there's so many new manufacturing characters who need the kernels.  Once the majority have all that they need, you'll see prices of kernels drop significantly and people will stop farming them.  If you want to speed the process, don't buy kernels and fund the farmers ship purchases.

The problem is that the first thing most new players do after the tutorial: beginner missions.

The entire game leads up to the starter missions. You log in, a little screen pops up telling you how to move around, it leads you to do some stuff, and ultimately takes you into the terminal to begin your tutorial, which is accessed the same way normal missions are. Once the tutorial is finished, the natural progression is to start doing missions.

If all the beginning combat mission spots are completely camped, to the point that the beginner can't even get a shot in, what kind of image does that paint for the newby?

Like it or not, this game needs new players in order to survive (attrition, expansion, etc). If all the newbs are scared/shunned away, the game will die (or at least wither).

If the best way for "advanced" players to make money is farming those beginning missions that newbies flock to, something needs to change.

My suggestion: Remove the waypoint from kill missions. The mission should be: "Go out and kill X things" not "Go out and kill X things at this specific point." That way if the spawns near the terminal are camped (as they might very well be) all the person needs to do is wander out a little further to another spawn of the same mob type.

Problem solved (mostly... there still needs to be some buffing done to higher level mission rewards).

But why do anything at all?  The problem is already starting to let up.  I just started a few days ago, so I experienced the same problem first-hand.   It was a little annoying, but it's not the first time I've competed for a spawn in a video game so I'm used to it.  All it took was a little patience and persistence.  Then, last night, I went out to finish farming drone kernels for ammo recipes and found quite a few spawns right around a starting point uncamped.  And when I went out to kill 'rookie' mobs, there weren't nearly as many people camping those either.

This is just one of those situations where finding the right solution, programming a fix, and publishing a patch would probably take almost as long as simply waiting it out.  It's mostly just a temporary "new game" problem.

38 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-21 04:16:02)

I got camped out six or seven times in the last day. Can't compete with guys that can target large numbers quickly. I have my extensions up as high as EP will allow for targeting, but they are not high enough.

I've had enough for now. Only a few locations where I can grinding my standing and they are camped.

Seen this before in the really early days of Eve. The mission areas were static. They would get camped. That is how deadspace missions came into being. No sure how P is going to fix this.

This problem is not temporary, it is a result of game design. Limited resource shared by those who wish to grind NIC and those that need to grind standing. Are there many spawn points that don't have missions associated with them?

From what I've seen, there are a ton of spawns with no related mission. Hence my previous suggestion of removing the location requirement.

40 (edited by franko 2010-12-21 07:52:26)

Get used to it. Because you will farm that same spot and mission for few months (in same bot) hmm because its most effective and safe thing to do now.

i was farming drones yesterday, to get my knowledge base started.

when i went to the drone spawn, there was noone else there. Then someone came, tried to kill some (and i let him a few).
After a while, the same guy whined in the general about someone farming a spot and he couldn't get any kill.

If he was on the tutorial mission - he could have send me a tell and i would have helped him.
But if he runs away and starts whining on the GC before that, i'm really tempted to just grief him...

Annihilator wrote:

i was farming drones yesterday, to get my knowledge base started.

when i went to the drone spawn, there was noone else there. Then someone came, tried to kill some (and i let him a few).
After a while, the same guy whined in the general about someone farming a spot and he couldn't get any kill.

If he was on the tutorial mission - he could have send me a tell and i would have helped him.
But if he runs away and starts whining on the GC before that, i'm really tempted to just grief him...

He is doing tutorial and need to kill 2 drones, and cant because one other bot is farming them, there are not 10 bots in same spot  only one and he cant do tutorial mission. Its feature or design flaw ?

franko wrote:

He is doing tutorial and need to kill 2 drones, and cant because one other bot is farming them, there are not 10 bots in same spot  only one and he cant do tutorial mission. Its feature or design flaw ?

Yeah who ever posted that is a ***, there are no spawns in the tutorial missions that only spawns 1-2 mobs. Maybe he should try using his brain before crying on the forums.

For the purposes of the *tutorial*, a few 'tutorial drones' would fix this problem.  Do you remember the last time you locked onto and sparred with the practice target?