1 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-07-13 21:18:50)

Topic: Research UI

we also have a few very good ideas here:

Doek wrote:

Some more UI suggestions, mostly polishing.

http://i.imgur.com/IceT9e0.jpg

i have 2(1/2) more to add:

1: make the not avalible items way more darker. maybe even more as i have in my pic. if you have some stuff inside a tree you dont realy see at first sight what you have avalible and what not.
there has to be more contrast. so darkening the not avalible stuff might bring way better overview.

2: if you dont have enough rp then the number is greyed. thats another thing where you dont realy have a good overview of your stuff. i advice using some sort of red stuff like i have used there.

with these two points you will have a way better look at your reasearch system while you work on it. not so important for us vets that might get quite far at start, but for ppl who slowly work themselves through that.

http://i.imgur.com/qydZBaL.png

the last little thing:
this has been said in the past before, maybe a few times. and i know it does not bring realy that much to gameplay and takes away development power...
but when i look at the trees and see the same icons for smal and medium weapons and ammunition, same as for short range and long range medium weapons, then this looks a bit starnge and too simple in the tech tree.
maybe its the time with this to make a few more icons for this game.

it might not add a lot to gameplay, but the game makes a lot better impression and this might be a big plus especially for new players.

Re: Research UI

Agreed on both points.

Good suggestions.

About the icons: doing the small weapons is on my list since ages, but the long range modules don't even have different models, so that's not going to happen soon I'm afraid.

Also put the research button on the right side where all industrial stuff is, makes no sense on the left, its confusing.

RIP PERPETUUM

i also would like that the costs would still be visible when you have completed research.
maybe you can use your current passive grey color for the numbers. or (what i would like less) that it will be shown on mouseover.

Icons of item researched on research UI could have a right click option -> prototype.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Also put the research button on the right side where all industrial stuff is, makes no sense on the left, its confusing.

Actually, it does. I'd put it on the right of the agent and corporation button (not the search button), but it seems to me that left is 'agent' stuff, right is 'facility/robot' stuff.

Doek wrote:

Actually, it does. I'd put it on the right of the agent and corporation button (not the search button), but it seems to me that left is 'agent' stuff, right is 'facility/robot' stuff.

Yes, that's kinda the logic behind it. Although research is a bit split between agent/facility stuff, so it's fine by me either way. If you want we can move it over next to the production dropdown.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

i also would like that the costs would still be visible when you have completed research.

uh, why? smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

uh, why? smile

because there are ppl who like to see what they have done and compare it to what is still ahead.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

uh, why? smile

because there are ppl who like to see what they have done and compare it to what is still ahead.

Also because it helps the bean counters smile

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

11 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-07-22 08:43:30)

another small suggestion for ui improvement:

when i look at the tree then i have a hard way to see the tree and its forks very good. you have a good picture if the icons, but for the connections you have to take a closer look.

maybe you can improve this by making the lines thicker.

edit: im thinking about something of 3 or 5 pixel thickness

one more:

improvements for the donation window:
- show your personal rp right in front of the donation input box.
- put a max button behind each input box for auto fill in all you have avalible of that type
- also add a max button on the lower end to auto fill in all rp of all types.

make it easy to donate big_smile

and another one:

mouseover for global progress and avalible rp:
show rp spent and total

for example:

Thelodica RP:
   355 804 avalible
   284 084 spent
2 180 600 max

also a information for each tree would be nice. same stuff. spent and max rp in a tree...
that info could be shown right under the tree selection on the left side.

I like the ideas of zortarg showing spend and max needed as well.
For max donate there is allready possibility. Like in a lot other inputs, you could enter ridiculous large number, client will automatically reduce to max possible. Nevertheless a max button help the gui getting "round"