1 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-07-14 10:32:01)

Topic: Kernel drop and Research

taking this:
kernel conversion rates
and this:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/82472/#p82472
into consideration:

i am a bit worried about the kernel drop rates. taking the numbers from the above 2 links (without haveing checked them) it will result in a greatly overflow in factional kernels.

you could of cource take any other bots for these calculations, or just use the drop distribution of the different kernels, but in the end the result will be the same.
i just used the t3 and t5 hmech for calculation because this will yield the smallest numbers...

bots dont drop common and high tech kernels at the same time. so the there will be 3 dependencies:
- you need to kill bots to get your needed common kernals
- you need to kill bot to get your hitech kernels
- you also get factional kernels from that kills (either its enoug or you have to kill more)

how you can see in in image below you will have a realy great overflow of factional kernels.
ok i have to admit this calculation includes MPC research and they dont need factional kernels. and the question is how manny ppl will do MPC research.

still we will end up with a lot unused factional kernels. this will lead that a lot ppl have too many of those which also will mean that their market value will be roughly zero. because ppl always will need either common or jitech kernels but never the other ones.

for total research:
http://i.imgur.com/c1A2XNh.png

for research without MPC:
http://i.imgur.com/F50033y.png

also it will force researcher to kill a lot low level npcs instead of the better loot yielding higher tiers.

maybe this needs to be looked at...
zort

Re: Kernel drop and Research

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

also it will force researcher to kill a lot low level npcs instead of the better loot yielding higher tiers.

maybe this needs to be looked at...
zort

I hear your concern about a glut of factional kernals over time but I rather like that the common kernals come mostly from tier 1-3 NPCs. I think it will mean that new players more easily find buyers for their kernals.

.. and fragments smile

You could potentially sell hi kernels and buy common. Would like it to be so that high kernels only come from PVP zones/beacons, but that could set newbies off too much.

5 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-07-14 11:57:22)

Burial wrote:

Would like it to be so that high kernels only come from PVP zones/beacons ...

I'd like to ban beacons - at the very least ban selling them in Syndicate Stores and stop them dropping as SAP loot.

But thats a subject for another thread.

The main concepts of this balance are that...
1. ...(hopefully) there should be more low ranked NPC-killing newbies than high ranked NPC-killing veterans at all times, which should offset the balance in favor of common kernels.
2. ...we don't want to make NPC loot increase among ranks simply linear. You will have to go to islands containing ample low-ranked NPCs if you want to your get common kernels yourself.

PvP islands will probably have a surplus of hitech kernels and PvE islands a surplus of common kernels. The aim with this (again) is to create a flow of goods between alpha and beta (/gamma).

However, as long as our playerbase consists of mainly our trusty veterans, I'm well aware that it might happen that common kernels will be more sought after and more expensive than hitech kernels.

And lastly, when we look at all the tech trees as a whole, we have about 6 times more common kernels than factional kernels, true (a single faction, that is). This would be a concern if we would have NPCs dropping either only factional kernels or only common kernels. However as it is, you will always get common kernels (or hitech kernels) regardless of which faction NPC you kill. Yes, the common and MPC trees are an exception here, but those trees alone won't make factional kernels worthless by abundance in my opinion.

...and If I'm wrong, we can always rebalance kernels drops smile

i can see your point in common and high tech. that might work... hopefully.

but i think numbers dont lie. and your drops will yield more factional kernels then needed. this might be fine at the start, but after a while there will be too many.

i think pelistal, nuimqol and theodica drop should be lowerd. i would not do that with industrial, because they are already hard enough to get (always where).
anyway the bacllance between common+hitech and factional should be changed. increasing the common and hightech might work the same as reducing the other. the ballance is the point.

when you look at the drop table and the need of the kernels in the trees then this is simple math. ppl in the high end will not only have plenty of hitech, but also plenty of faction kernels, while the "noobs" will need more faction and hitech kernels...

but you can try...

If Devs ever add some kind of NPC structures to blow up. You could add a combination of common + hitech kernels on the structure loot table.

RIP PERPETUUM