Topic: Kernel conversion

DEV Zoom wrote:

For those curious, here are the kernel conversion rates.

i already said this on the test server:

from what zoom said we tansfer one kernel(old) to <kernel drop new>
asuming that one kernel(old) gives about the same research as <kernel drop new>
for example one T1 assault kernel has around the same research value as 40common and 20factional kernels

kernel(old) ~50% drop chance (kill around 2 bots)
<kernel drop new> = 100% drop chance (kill around 1 bot)

<Kernel drop old> != <Kernel drop new>

so this will mean that in the conversion we wil only get  ~50% of the research if we take time that it took to get them is taking into account.

if this is not taken into consideration then ppl will be way better of to eat their old kernels until they reach around 50% wastage.

if the above is true then i would advice to increase conversion rate my 100%. or let the math (not the hungarian one) do the job.

how much % can each of the old kernels do on the old research system compared to full research.
how much new kernels do you need in the new system to achieve the same?
easy equation. will give exact results... and totaly fair. and not realy hard to to.

zort

Re: Kernel conversion

Yeah I was sure that when the conversion rates become public, theorycrafting will begin smile

asuming that one kernel(old) gives about the same research as <kernel drop new>

It's simply wrong to assume this. The two systems are vastly different, it was impossible to make the old kernels equally match up with the new ones. Yes, the old kernels contained percentages, but they were random and chance based. Furthermore, the research value of the same kernel degraded drastically if you already had most of the knowledge researched.

So the whole thing has been rebalanced with two things in mind:
1. Trying to make the complete research of all the items roughly match up in game time necessary to be spent as before.
2. Trying to make the NIC value of kernels that drop from each type of NPC about the same as before. Note that the research value that you get from an NPC can be quite different in the new system, but we tried to keep the relative differences between NPC types/ranks.

this will still mean that you are way better of if you consume in old system before the patch hits until you hit the wastage factor.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

this will still mean that you are way better of if you consume in old system before the patch hits until you hit the wastage factor.

And you'll get some extra points from kernels you can't eat because of finished research. I'd say the new research system is vastly better (not in the least for new players), so a bit of EP gating is barely enough to offset the advantages over the old system.

zoom my main point is:

if i kill a light bot T1 now i get 1/2 t1 light kernel (drop chance). with conversion this will be: 10 common and 5 factional kernels

if i wait after patch then i get for the same kill 20 common and 10 factional kernels.

this means we only get 50% of the work paid with the conversion. and that means you are way better off to consume now (if you can) then your payback in rp in consumed kernels will be better then your payback in converted kernels.

Zortarg: and my point is that with a t1 light kernel you could currently get 20% knowledge of a random t1 item, which is much more in RP than 20 common and 10 factional. On one hand it's good, on the other it's bad, your choice. But we can't just double everything based on a 50% kernel drop _chance_, even more so because that's only true for NPCs, and there are artifacts dropping kernels, too.

there surly is no perfect way to do this. just bringing up my concerns. and of cource trying to figure out how i get the most out of my existing kernels.