Topic: What is going to keep you sub'd for the long term?

With the current state of the game I know there are still a few things to do that keeps people subscribed (ruling the gammalands) but eventually we are all going to reach a point where we have done it all and the game just isn't fun anymore. I think most of us are holding out for Steam but I have a feeling we aren't going to see the population boost we are all hoping for. The most recent additions to the game seem more at balancing so new players have a better chance to compete so I would like to know what is one thing the devs could release by the end of 2013 that would keep you sub'd into 2014.

BTW lets not make this a balancing thread. There are many other threads off their rails already.

Re: What is going to keep you sub'd for the long term?

i've stopped playing seriously some time ago and stopped playing at all quite recently. I'm scaling back to 2 accounts subbed just because I want so much for them to succeed but wont be playing them until some drastic changes come.

3 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-06-23 19:32:00)

Aye Pod wrote:

... reach a point where we have done it all and the game just isn't fun anymore. ...  What is one thing the devs could release by the end of 2013 that would keep you sub'd into 2014.

Aye Pod, that sums up my feelings. I play open ended sandbox games because I like setting my own challenges, targets, achievements (whatever you like to call them) but a couple of months ago when I had about 800k EP (to be fair on two characters so actually about 1.6m EP) I really couldn't think of anything new to do. I have visited every island in the entire game countless times, know all alpha and beta like the back of my hand and its been many months since spending a big chunk of EP has added anything to my game at all.

To suggest one thing is a tough ask so I'm going to be a bit cheeky and roll a couple together since one really depends on the other.

A wholesale revamp of PvE and relations: More, interesting and varied assignments (including instances) with a properly balanced reward system. No static spawn sites. NPC squads can teleport onto terrain virtually anywhere at anytime and NO BEACONS. Make players work for their rewards. Make standings really mean something and make players make a choice - if you build up relations with one faction it should deteriorate with at least one other. Preferably this should all take place in an enormously expanded and varied world. Seamless loading continents is the Nirvana but given the amount of work that would entail many dozens more islands of different shapes and sizes would be great.

[EDIT]Just as a footnote, I was looking through mmorpg.org the other day at what games were out there and I kept coming back to Perp as, on paper, one of the best two or three out there. Given the level of marketing the game gets, the steady stream of new players at Alpha I terminals seems to bear that out. Trouble is, retention (as we all know) is poor and I'm certain that the lack of a decent carrot dangling tantalisingly out of reach is a major reason. A relations system that effectively unlocks new parts of the game - be that higher level assignments, islands, outposts, faction mods and bots or whatever would add some good juice to that carrot just as long as its not too easy to achieve - no point if you can grind up to max in a couple of weeks or a month.

Nothing hold me on Perpetuum , i just paid my 2 account with 60+ ICE i bought on the market, so i can wait until end of 2014 smile

With General Channel dead, there's nothing left to do.

There is not single thing that would get me to start playing. There's a huge difference between being subbed and actually logging in. I'm bascially 'gambling' with a long subscription that the devs will be able to turn the population issue around with new content ect. ect. and that having a high EP account at that time is worth a little risk.

tl;dr - Changes won't get me back, only more population, but hopefully the changes will be what Perp needs to get those people in and staying.

Landers...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Arga wrote:

tl;dr - Changes won't get me back, only more population, but hopefully the changes will be what Perp needs to get those people in and staying.

Basically this^ Need more players to keep me subbed in the long term , no single feature will make perpetuum successful. Player base  plays an important role in keeping a sandbox MMO successful , and we have our selves to blame too, with all this immature and defeatist player content.

RIP PERPETUUM

Whats going to keep me sub long term is the silence of trolls.

building fortresses

A:  Speed and a LOT more of it.  Going from point A to B has got to be one of the biggest mind numbing drawbacks of the game.
- Highways should quadruple your speed and go by the most direct route from TP to TP.  Or all TPs on an island should interconnect with all others on that island except the laughable choke points on gamma.  The only reason to leave the highways should be to find stuff, grind, or gather.

B:  There is no sense of reward.  The market is pretty bleah all the way around.  Prototyping even the simplest thing guarantees that no matter how many you sell you'll never recoup the cost so why bother leveling up.

C:  Mk2 versions of bots are anything but an upgrade.  A couple of extra slots, but no extra CPU/PG to use them.  No extra speed or other bonuses.  And they're pretty insanely expensive to make so it's pretty much pointless.

D:  As stated; at fluctuating from 200-500m for a single ICE, how can anyone legitimately make enough to purchase 60???

A. T4 LWF, Teleport beacons and spark teleport
B. Gamma outposts and corp knowledgebase drastically reduce prototype costs, plus extensions
C. Mk2 versions of bots are awesome, although you need to be well skilled to pilot them effectively
D. There are plenty of ways to make enough nic to buy ICE at 200mil. 500 mil is someone gouging the market.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

13 (edited by Heliaso 2013-07-25 07:55:36)

Dark Fenris wrote:

D:  As stated; at fluctuating from 200-500m for a single ICE, how can anyone legitimately make enough to purchase 60???

Because i bought them when it cost 60m maybe ?

explosions

I like the suggestion of speeding up highways; there's no real way to autopilot them and they're rare enough on beta to not affect balance (rather, don't change anything about beta highways speed and/or placement). Although, Daoden could use one or two extra highways too...

Your other points are not that relevant after playing for a while. Mk2 for example, are not only a reward in itself (EP and basically just getting one), but the extra fitting possibilities are amazing.

The largest issue with the market is volume, so that just means you need to expand sideways. They added quite the bonus to the market extensions for exactly that reason, I believe.

Dark Fenris wrote:

A:  Speed and a LOT more of it.  Going from point A to B has got to be one of the biggest mind numbing drawbacks of the game.
- Highways should quadruple your speed and go by the most direct route from TP to TP.  Or all TPs on an island should interconnect with all others on that island except the laughable choke points on gamma.  The only reason to leave the highways should be to find stuff, grind, or gather.

B:  There is no sense of reward.  The market is pretty bleah all the way around.  Prototyping even the simplest thing guarantees that no matter how many you sell you'll never recoup the cost so why bother leveling up.

C:  Mk2 versions of bots are anything but an upgrade.  A couple of extra slots, but no extra CPU/PG to use them.  No extra speed or other bonuses.  And they're pretty insanely expensive to make so it's pretty much pointless.

a)  I semi agree.  I don't think speed should be increased at all, there should just be more highways and have them connect directly to the tele (ALL teles).  Also player built Highways on gamma please!!!.

b)  with the recent research patch, most problems with Proto's are solved imho, with more people being able to proto and produce you should see a rise in the market (or maybe a fall, not sure how that will play out.  Some people produce just for themselves.  Now that it is far easier to proto and produce, there might be far less demand)  For me the reward is PVP, lots and lots of PVP.  Everything I do in this game is towards that goal, and only that goal.  But that's just me.

c) The MKII's aren't supposed to have more CPU/Reactor they are meant for people who have invested the EP into fitting skills.  If you get your fitting skills up high (9 or 10's)  across the board you can do some amazing things with a MKII.  There is a reason that they are the defacto Standard in PVP.  MKII's were not designed for a player who is just starting out to be able to effectively use.  they are an investment.  They are expensive for a reason and should stay that way.

d) ICE is usually around 200 mill, a single person is trying to screw with the market, don't buy those.  Just ask in gen chat, or trade and you can usually find someone to buy from at less than that.

D). Three things:  no ones playing, imbalance of nic injected into the market, oh and did I mention no ones playing?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Good fights!  Oh wait there aren't any... 

Why?  No one plays anymore, because why???

No one plays.

Some people play checkers, some play chess...  Once in a while you can find a guy playing GO.  The former is prey, the secondary is a teacher, and the latter is a general.