Topic: PvP for the Daring

This idea is predicated upon:
1. Increasing the amount of PvP in the game.
2. Stimulating new vigor and interest in the game.
3. Implementation with minimal time/effort/cost, by utilizing existing game mechanics and items.

Create a new extremely rare ore;
that only exists in ONE location in the Niani universe;
only on Beta islands or Gama islands near teleports;
in a very, very, very, tiny amount;
that takes a very, very, very, long time to mine;
that will re-spawn somewhere else when depleted, or each 24 hours.

This new ore will be used to make tournament level bots and gear that already exist.

This precious new ore will be desired by all, and will cause everyone to descend upon a single point.
This WILL cause conflict and PvP !!!

Should stimulate some fresh content and interest.

2 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-05-26 03:50:35)

Re: PvP for the Daring

+1 nice idea, only thing i don't think highly of is the ore being on gamma, i personally don't think that the Ore should be in gamma, but to be on Beta is definitely something that would be nice that way its fair game since there is no worry of the material spawning by someone's gamma base if its on beta only.

But overall it would be cool to see something like this happen as long as it would not be for gamma islands, and im sure it would not be too hard for the Devs to do since it would utilize current game mechanics and items as paw mentioned, the only work they would really have to do is create the Ore, and also of course maybe special CT that could have special artifact created for it that could also only be found on Beta and on beta only

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

If on gama, then near teleports, so that it would be in uncontrolled territory for pubic access.

On  a side note June is drawing nigh.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

My peronal opinion is that the devs just need to spread the ores around a bit. Make it so beta islands have few ores that gamma and alpha doesnt.

Remove epi from gamma
Reduce maximum sparks to five with a 1 hour cool down
Remove instant respawn for ore fields

Might help some

Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

Remove epi from gamma
Reduce maximum sparks to five with a 1 hour cool down
Remove instant respawn for ore fields

Might help some

also remove nora incubators from market and make it grow wild on beta 2's only with very low regrow timers ?

how else can we make the market grind to a hault ( not that its not already there)

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

8 (edited by Goffer 2013-05-29 09:41:46)

95% of PvP in game was destroyed by player who Pvp only for Epeen not by Devs.
Fixing this requires not help from Dev, but help from Player.

Most who ask in different threats in Forum for change in game design are the once, that understand pvp to rush with a equal number group of HM over some assault. Or the once that say 1vs1 is fair if they have additional demob on their side (resulting in 2vs1). Or jsut the once that think 5 mech vs 1 assault is good pvp.

Edit: Not to say there is no reason in doing PvP that way. And I won't say it is only bad in doing so. But  there is a reason why PvP decreased that much. And that reason is not, that Devs broke a game mechanic.

Worst still for PVP are the people who dictate how I or anyone should play the game. As long as players follow EULA, I have no quarrels, with anyone. If players want to fight outnumbered it's really their choice, they have only themselves to blame. Others like to blob for epeen or for whatever reason, all well an good.

RIP PERPETUUM

10 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-05-29 16:13:06)

Goffer wrote:

95% of PvP in game was destroyed by player who Pvp only for Epeen not by Devs.
Fixing this requires not help from Dev, but help from Player.

Actually the last time i seen roaming pvp done the most was up until Walls were brought in. Walls killed roaming PVP in a big way & ive never seen it recover. That & population problems of late dont help tongue

So You could say the DEVs actually did have a hand in killing Roaming PVP. PVP in general tho isnt killed by 1 or 2 people with large egos. It doesnt help but it only becomes a major problem when a population is in decline & those large Egos are able to gain influence.

Games that De-evolve into only have 2 Main Factions will see this problem the most.

Things that killed pvp:

1.  Walls.

Things that killed player base population:

1.  DEV readjustment to features players put billions into .
2.  DEV randomly banning, for a EULA they no longer enforce.
3.  DEV readjustment of terraforming.
4.  Syndic.
5.  Boredom
6.  DEV revamp to features in game to make them worse.

Tux, nice idea to remove noralgis incubators and have it grow wild on Beta2 islands only.  This would be a perfect complement to my original idea above.  Your idea also meets the same criteria as mine.  Your idea would also make the game more dangerous for the daring!

Nice to see positive input.

13 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-05-31 04:13:40)

I agree with Deathpaws core idea of encouraging PVP.  The only thing needed to encourage more PVP, is making the Beta's important.  Epri needs to be made beta only again, and I agree with Tux about the wild norg.  This would make roaming viable, it would drive prices up, and it would give everyone a reason to fight.

The simple underlying principle of all of this, even Ville's inane rants, is the fact that PVP was constant when betas were worth fighting for.  There must always be a reason to fight.  Fighting is what drives this entire game.  It drives the Market, it drives Industry, and it drives Politics.  Betas were important, even vital to a corps survival.  They are now only worth having if its a station that has an Active SAP.   And now, most vets have more MK2 bots and cortex's than they know what to do with.  So the active SAPS are becoming pointless. 

TL:DR  There must always be a reason to fight.  War is good for the economy.

EDIT: as much as it pains me to say this, I agree with Ville on the walls.  They gotta go.

Martha Stuart wrote:

I agree with Deathpaws core idea of encouraging PVP.  The only thing needed to encourage more PVP, is making the Beta's important.  Epri needs to be made beta only again, and I agree with Tux about the wild norg.  This would make roaming viable, it would drive prices up, and it would give everyone a reason to fight.

The simple underlying principle of all of this, even Ville's inane rants, is the fact that PVP was constant when betas were worth fighting for.  There must always be a reason to fight.  Fighting is what drives this entire game.  It drives the Market, it drives Industry, and it drives Politics.  Betas were important, even vital to a corps survival.  They are now only worth having if its a station that has an Active SAP.   And now, most vets have more MK2 bots and cortex's than they know what to do with.  So the active SAPS are becoming pointless. 

TL:DR  There must always be a reason to fight.  War is good for the economy.

EDIT: as much as it pains me to say this, I agree with Ville on the walls.  They gotta go.

I know you would see the dark side eventually.

I'm not a fan of restricting ores and plants on islands, but maybe an introduction on different mechanics and not the recycling of old content.  Population would fix a lot of issues, but the problem lies in a disconnect between new players trying to get a foothold on gamma versus strongholds established by veteran players.  Let's discuss a direct example of this.

-Rawr.

I want to first start off by saying I'm sorry to the legimately decent players/new guys in that corp.  You got caught between an epeen battle CEOs. 

Rawrs presence on gamma was often interrupted by pvp veterans, their industry was greatly hampered by players well versed in terraforming and pvp tactics and there was NO way to retaliate against a dug in Corperation.  Except Beta pvp but the industry was unhampered, so new players are forced gather longer and pvp less.  While pvp veterans pvp more and gather less.  See the cycle yet?  When you fix this cycle you'll have a population and fortified strong holds of death are not the answer.  My two cents.

The only gamma fix I could see would be soil erosion that would flatten walls over time.

Bargaining is the 3rd stage, almost there.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Having a place for PVP is every bit as important as a reason.  Epri only on Beta does both.

No it doesn't.  Your restricting the game size with bottlenecks.

There was no need for an epri-only-on-Beta rule the last two times you fellas had a perfect opportunity for infinite PVP, what made you go into hiding for weeks and months on end? Do you feel like you need a reason to fight?

Wait a sec. Are you actually asking us, where we went? What happened to you guys? Syndic stopped iceing your accts so you had to stop playing? I guess ten dollars a month is a lot of money to some people.....

And epri on beta only sounds great right now for stimulating some pvp. But long term it is a bad idea. if you get a few hundred more people in this game. There will be so many people on beta that no one will be able to mine it.

Shadowphile wrote:

Wait a sec. Are you actually asking us, where we went? What happened to you guys? Syndic stopped iceing your accts so you had to stop playing? I guess ten dollars a month is a lot of money to some people.....

When we were fanboys and had some belief in this game most of us got yearly subs among other things. Kinda lucky for us since 10$ is indeed quite a lot of money to pay for the level of entertainment this game currently provides.

We know where you guys went, we ganked you in WOT too.

24 (edited by Burial 2013-06-11 17:17:18)

Only thing I'm after is making beta more appealing for everyone. I think Tux's idea is good(the special NPC on beta that drops goodies). It archieves what I think is needed without the negative side effect, that being the need to the close island down during activity.