1 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-15 12:15:44)

Topic: Will those of us who were screwed by the kernal bug be compensated?

A while ago I got most of my module research to T3. I then moved onto researching T5 assault kernals. I intentionally farmed the type of mob which I know gives lightweight frame research. A few thousand kernals later I could now produce many T4 modules - But one was missing, one of the best ones in my opinion - Lightweight frame research, i was still 0% progress through T4.

So after hearing a rumour that there's a bug with lightweight frame research I decided to do a test, on an alt I farmed some lower tier npcs of the same name/type as the tier 5 ones I was killing, and confirmed that these npcs are indeed supposed to give lightweight frame research.

What does this mean for me, and others like me? You're gonna have to research a few thousand more T5 kernals if you want LWF research, and this is only after the bug is fixed. There's nothing more for me to be had from these kernals except LWF, which I should have already got from it, so this is a real disaster for me.

It would be awesome if the devs have a way to check how many kernals you've researched, and then grant that research to those who should have already got it.

Re: Will those of us who were screwed by the kernal bug be compensated?

That is pretty damn horrible, I hope they fix it for you.

I'm stuck @ t3 for lwf too.

4 (edited by The Insider 2010-12-15 19:43:44)

Purgatory wrote:

A while ago I got most of my module research to T3. I then moved onto researching T5 assault kernals. I intentionally farmed the type of mob which I know gives lightweight frame research. A few thousand kernals later I could now produce many T4 modules - But one was missing, one of the best ones in my opinion - Lightweight frame research, i was still 0% progress through T4.

So after hearing a rumour that there's a bug with lightweight frame research I decided to do a test, on an alt I farmed some lower tier npcs of the same name/type as the tier 5 ones I was killing, and confirmed that these npcs are indeed supposed to give lightweight frame research.

What does this mean for me, and others like me? You're gonna have to research a few thousand more T5 kernals if you want LWF research, and this is only after the bug is fixed. There's nothing more for me to be had from these kernals except LWF, which I should have already got from it, so this is a real disaster for me.

It would be awesome if the devs have a way to check how many kernals you've researched, and then grant that research to those who should have already got it.

Such a sad story, i cried for hours after reading this!

Bugs happen, report them, move on.

5 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-15 20:53:09)

The Insider wrote:
Purgatory wrote:

Such a sad story, i cried for hours after reading this!

Bugs happen, report them, move on.

This isn't beta anymore. Maybe you forgot that. I wonder if nic just started vanishing from peoples wallet due to a bug if it would be refunded?

I don't think the "Bug" is even fixed. Some items simply won't research. Perhaps 5th level kernels are broken. I don't know. But they're not given a bonus to research, or not one that's been noticed yet.

Oh well, good job to those lucky few who weren't effected. smile
Tehe.

The Game

7 (edited by Arga 2010-12-15 21:24:28)

Did a dev confirm its a bug and not some incredibly low rate  (.000001% chance pre kernel) or that its even researchable at that tier?

Edit: If confirmed bug, some compensation is due.

LWF knowlege may not be included into every level of the same NPC type.

I remember in Beta, that "warrior assault kernels" did give you LWF (or was it NEXUS?) research, but "veteran assault kernels" did not.

i dont know if that is a bug or intentional.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

9 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-15 21:46:37)

It's definetly a bug, i've researched tons of T4/T5 npc kernals ranging across many types and nothing gives it. Pretty sure it's impossible to get atm.

10 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-16 07:20:00)

I would imagine your accumulated kernal research is somehow saved and not just simply translated into research %.  Similar to how EP isnt just converted into extension levels, and your EP will be instantly recalculated if an extension price changes.

So, if this gets fixed, it may be possible that your research is instantly granted.  But, I may be wrong and its lost forever.  Either way, the situation sucks and it needs to be fixed NOW.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I was hit with the Drone kernel bug that was fixed in a prior patch. I had researched over 300 various Drone, 1st star, Rookie and Servant kernels with no effect. After the patch, I was not granted any retroactive research and had to research more kernels to see any gains.

I don't think you will see either retroactive research results or get a kernel reimbursement.

Reactor......ONLINE
Sensors......ONLINE
Weapons......ONLINE
All systems nominal.

300 drone kernals isn't exactly a big deal,  maybe something should have been done then, but just because it wasn't, does not mean that nothing should be done now.

The fact is people have spent money, time and effort into getting this research and have not received it because of a bug. These people should be compensated. It's no different than NIC simply vanishing from your wallet.

Kernels are buggy as well as giving diminishing returns on what you research.

For example:
Level 1 kernels can only give standard tech but as soon as you've achieved 60-80% of that standard tech the research points you gain drops significantly. At this point you HAVE to move up to the next level of kernels.

Now take the level 5 kernels. They can give ALL tech in their tree but once you have the standard, t1, t2 and t3 tech you've got +80% the technology the kernel can give and thus you're hugely effected by diminishing returns slowing research to a crawl.

Now above may not be how it CURRENTLY works as some people are able to get t4 modules of other types but that is how kernels were explained to be when I asked.

I may have misunderstood but if they do work as described they NEED to be changed as at the moment they're not working. If they don't work as described then there is a MASSIVE bug in research that needs to be resolved.

The Game

I haven't had any problems with any other modules. Its t4 frames that refuses to research.

Sensor amp is lagging behind, but I can attribute that to luck since it is actually moving.

Will the devs stance on things like this be to remain completely silent? I expected maybe a fix for kernals not giving T4 LWF research this patch since nothing was being said on the matter.

Sorry this was left out from the notes:

INDUSTRY

Fix: Knowledge of Tier4 (best named) lightweight frames were missing from kernels. (No kernels were used in vain because the system tells you if you can't learn anything new from a particular kernel.)

This means that if you indeed achieved that level of knowledge before, then researching those kernels again will now only yield the t4 LWF to fill in the gap.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Sorry this was left out from the notes:

INDUSTRY

Fix: Knowledge of Tier4 (best named) lightweight frames were missing from kernels. (No kernels were used in vain because the system tells you if you can't learn anything new from a particular kernel.)

This means that if you indeed achieved that level of knowledge before, then researching those kernels again will now only yield the t4 LWF to fill in the gap.

With massive diminishing returns unless they have been removed.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

With massive diminishing returns unless they have been removed.

This.

19 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-22 21:17:17)

Is it really fixed? 0% LWF research gained from 100 overlord assault robot kernals says otherwise. I've used the lower tier version of these kernals on an alt to confirm that these kernals should indeed give LWF research. Not gonna throw away more kernals, there's obviously still a problem.

overlord = pelistal

pelistals dont have t4 lwf research...
high speed is not a pelistal attribute

21 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-22 21:36:59)

Annihilator wrote:

overlord = pelistal

That's funny since many lower tier pelistal bots all give LWF research. I even know off T4 pelistal bots that give LWF research but they stopped giving it at T4 due to the BUG.

overlord = pelistal

Pelistal gave lwf research in the past.  The fact that they are slower would IMO be the reason they'd give LWF research to try to compensate for their lower speed.

This is the same logic why you get kinetic hardener research from pelistal as well.   It is used to compensate for their low resistances.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Pelistal may give LWF knowledge, but where does it stand written that all classes do?

The overlord class i researched does. I've tested it with a lower tier version of this class and that gives it, so obviously the higher tier version should too. It would make no sense atall for the higher tiered version of this npc to not give it when the lower tier version does.

Purgatory wrote:

The overlord class i researched does. I've tested it with a lower tier version of this class and that gives it, so obviously the higher tier version should too. It would make no sense atall for the higher tiered version of this npc to not give it when the lower tier version does.

Overlords just say, "F*CK THE LIGHTWEIGHT FRAME! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!"