1 (edited by Alexander 2013-03-25 13:30:50)

Topic: Game popularity and stability. The ups and the downs.

I've heard a lot of hype about "Repopulation" and having looked into it I really think Peretuum has a lot of hope.

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNokCaEeHA

Look at the engine, look at the terrain (And if you want check their crafting system, really remind me of Vanguard).

If people are excited about this game and don't care about the graphics then it's the depth of a game that is important.

This got me thinking, I can't really find anything wrong with Perpetuum apart from something pretty major. The progression, or speed, at which a player move from area to area. Gamma bases, well it's a sandbox, people won't make something pretty unless it's functional so make functional pretty and you'd have pretty gamma islands.

Finally, hype. Perpetuum hype. It used to be pretty big not too long ago and then mistakes and bugs and rumoured staff layoffs and forums trolling and.. well the list goes on.

I wouldn't say it was the developers that killed the game, but I would agree with anyone who says their actions haven't helped. In a world of harshness and sandboxing the devs have been very whimsical with their attitudes on many issues. Nine times out of ten I would have rather seen the iron first of justice than the tug of war "calm down children" approach to dealing with a lot of the issues that came up.

When you make your development team look like "ordinary people" and let them interact with the game and players on both a professional and casual manner the line in the sand between person/friend/player and developer becomes very blurred. This may also have to do with the companies structure given that on a number of occasions we've been told that the developers have a number of ongoing projects.

The development team shouldn't lose their faith in this game, and if they've lost their faith in the players then they're half way to making a great sandbox game (Sandbox players should never like their developers, it just gets messy, however they should respect them).

So I was wondering what other people think about Perpetuums stability, development team (And their interactions with the players through blog posts and news feeds) and the community. There's no need to point fingers but it would be interesting to know what little niggles people have with the game and what they really enjoy doing. What keeps you coming back and what's stopping you for having a good time? What's given you confidence in the development team and has anything knocked it?

I really get the feeling that the development team feel they have a thankless task of trying to keep the wheels of this games from coming off but I wonder if being in the eye of the storms makes it difficult to get the whole picture.

P.s. Only useful posts please, trollers aren't needed here.

Re: Game popularity and stability. The ups and the downs.

I have made many posts on where I feel problems are and some possible ways to fix them, other than that I no longer have the mental energy to "wait" any more for the devs been doing that for 3 years nearly. I will play the game as it is while i have sub'd accounts, while i wait for a beta key to the above mentioned game.

Coz nothing in any dev blog atm for perp interests me the only thing left would be a population increase (more pvp)

This game i have said & still do say has the best PVP play style around.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I'm here till server shuts down.

I qoute my writes from another topic. I think this is where you should see. If you ask this questions.

Perpetuum has really narrow niche for players, we just got the finest nad hardcore players who can thinking like a machine and figure out what he need to do and what he should and find their incentiveness. (Smartest people here.)
The global playerbase ~80 % of CASUAL, and Perpetuum suit for 10 % of players (or even less).
This is the whole problem we have. Yes I understand the DEV s focused first time to the 10 % but after 2 year is clear we never got much more players with this thinking. I am ok if we dont want but why dont want? The game with desing is itself good. So let play the casuals also.
So if the DEVs dont decide that we wont get any new players in long term (We are always at 100 active players dont matter the mass of terrain dont matter what they implement, alway decreased the palyerbase to ~100 acvite players). They are FOCUS right now to PVE part. I hope they check my idea here and thinking of it. Not soo hard to implement and we wil got LORE and fun at Alfa. Then we will got ALfa players who will go out Gamma in a right time. As far we dont do something like this never get the new players. They can come with STEAM but they will leave after 2 month. I no doubt, I saw many players leave the game. And will be happen again.
I thinking this after I dont understand the gamers who left Perpetuum because I love soo much this game. This suit of my lifestyle ,this suit of my brain. So I dont really understand why dont everybody play Perpetuum.
And even Perpetuum is hard to me because need many many real time to do something special what incentivese to me.
---------------------------------------
TLDR: Make Perpetuum CASUAL friendly in 1 aspect of the game at Alfa and let hardcore players fight at Beta and Gamma. 2 in 1 game.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Alexander wrote:

The development team shouldn't lose their faith in this game, and if they've lost their faith in the players then they're half way to making a great sandbox game

One of these days I'm gonna find the time to sincerely hate you all, promised.

yes we have some core issues with the game. but the main problem i see is the lack of advertisement.
most ppl i talk to about perp just found it by chance, or were told by a friend. it was the ame for me. i was activly searching for a game and browsed the game list of mmorpg.com with some criteria i was looking for.
most ppl dont do that. ppl games just dont know about this game.

we all hope that steam will help then this is a big platform and so we get a bigger audience. who knows how many more player this will bring in the long term...
but for the time beeing we players dont know when steam release will come. when it was annouced i guessed it would be around now (spring2013) but i guess it will be a bit longer. and i heard some rumors that it might be at the end of the year. only devs might have a clue how much longer it will take.

anyway besides steam advertisment is expensive stuff, and i dont think this game produces enough for a big campain. so we have to work with what we have avalible.
personaly i hope the new content patches will not take too long and that we will see more players ingame in a resonable amount of time. i cant do much more the the usual. write a nice guide, tell my friends and keep playing the game. rest is up to the devs.

Crusader wrote:

I'm here till server shuts down.

Ditto.

I want DEVs to face reality. If they have less resources then 2 years ago, then they should not make a blog post with 3 major areas of development and tell us it will be ready in 2-3 months when the reality is it would take 3x more time then planed.

Why not concentrate on 1 area, either Research revamp, New assignments system or Instances, and push that out in 2-3 months, then work on the next one. Having smaller, more focused updates more often would generate more hype overall, more news items on the various MMO sites, ex-players would come back more to check out what changed etc.

Industrial Junkie

Repopulation has many people excited because it is bring back the feel of the star wars crafting, housing, and customization. Thats a somewhat small core, but still many times larger than Perp's current base, of players from SWG bringing on the hype. I think there was probably the same type of core Eve players that did the same near Perp's launch.

And really, Hype is always better than reality. Perp has to acutally stand up to being played hour after hour for months.

Sandbox games NEED players to bring the world to life, and fiscally they need a minimum number of players to pay to keep the lights on. "Not enough players" is a very valid issue with the game, when the majority of the game content is created by the players (or between them -PVP).

I think we all agree that Steam is likely Perps big 'last chance' to get players into the game. Perp was rushed out the door on launch (IMO) and the Devs are taking their time, and rightly so, before it's 'relaunch'. If I was the dev's, I wouldn't really care how much push I got from a couple hundred existing players to give me new content when I was aiming at getting a couple thousand new players with it.

If you really want hardcore devs, they would do a full reset/relaunch with all new content at the steam launch. Part of the draw of getting in on a new time based skill sandbox is being in on the first wave.

Developers are on the right track to get more players in-game, yet I'm not sure if that will be enough. Major problem has been player retention and steep learning curve, according to the latest dev blog they are addressing it, obviously it's taking too long. The development times for major updates can improve with investors (more developers), also mentioned in dev blog.

@ Tamas they are concentrating on one at a time next update will be research, they just put it all on one dev blog, and made a very rough estimation on completion. fuuu

These type of games mostly thrives on people making the game entertaining and creating thieir own content themselves, but to get there we need loads of advertising and a good initial new player experience followed by where to go from, once you have a heavy mech with full t4 gear.

RIP PERPETUUM

While i have read most of the posts on here, i have to agree with some points. But to answer OP questions.  The stability of the game is pretty good, The devs - well to put it bluntly i don't think there is enough of them to do what needs to be done. As i have said before steam wont come around till the end of the year most likely, and that is if the game survives that long. The game is boring, too much land mass VS # of players, there is NO market, and what is there is so far outa whack it makes my ex look normal. A lot have left, some of us stayed, but slowly ever so slowly even those don't log on much anymore. Another point is this 2-3 month time-frame, its not that you didnt do it on time, its that we were given this timeline, and POOF that's it, no updates on the blog nothing. we know its delayed, but ffs give us at least and update on how its going, dont just ignore it.  Again thats my 2 cents fwfc

The entire MMO genre needs a reboot. neutral

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

13 (edited by Syndic 2013-03-28 16:41:58)

I've lost track of how many times this topic has been brought up in TS, genchat, and on the forums.

Bottom line of every frustrated conversation about Devs:

1. They develop slow as sh*t because of some X factor we can only guess.
2. They communicate stuff rarely and its usually with inaccurate estimates.
3. They have little if any idea at all whats going on in their game.

Thats how it is, and how it has been. Nothing we type or do will change that, stuff will happen when they get to it, stressing over greenlight or X or Y only leads to disappointment. Kinda silly to be honest that we keep going through this cycle of making a fanboy pow-wow circlejerk every so often and daydreaming what would happen if XZY.

It is what it is unfortunately, those that enjoy playing keep playing those that dont take breaks.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I'm getting used to jumping in a mmo again.  I'm scared.

Kane needs a /dance emote