Topic: Targeting system

ALL the players seems to like to try to dodge the shots. Give em such ability by adding crosshair firing mode on all cannons (remember our lovely mech warrior).

But also leave curent system as is for missiles. Auto aiming by current targeting system should not give 100% hit on moving target aswell. There's a game where auto-aim  works very well in this case - World of Tanks. You can use it, but it's not good under some (many) circumstances.

2 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-15 05:15:56)

Re: Targeting system

Fail.  We can already dodge behind terrain and foliage.  Just activate your weapons when they're in sight and dont cycle them.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

yep, but this is where tactical grammar ends now.

we need fast robots be fast not only in terms of who first hide behind the hill but in the feel of plain fight

Well, since we talk about targeting...
That would be lovely if we had:
1. Optional autolocking and(or at least) optional autoselection.  So if someone is locking us he would be selected and then we can lock him or ignore.
2. Button "select nearest enemy". Ideally: press the button once - nearest enemy selected(not locked), pressing the button further - cycling enemies withing the locking range.

5 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-15 05:33:35)

There used to be tracking which meant if you moved laterally fast enough you would avoid being hit.   The problem with this is that you could run through your enemy and avoid all damage so the devs removed it.
You just lost The Game
Adding an aiming reticle in a game like this is just a dumb idea.  If you want Mech Warrior play Mech Warrior.  This is Perpetuum.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

6 (edited by SyntaxPD 2010-12-15 05:46:30)

it works fine in world of tanks, why not here ? (large guns have poor tracking, but you can think up to 5 sec forward). and yeah, auto-aiming should be optional.

Many people compare PO to EVE.  There're pretty same targeting principles.  But in EVE it's because of special style of control.
In PO we already control  bot directly (WASD) , what is the point of  that eve-style targeting, which feels like a 3rd leg in PO?

In 2 words: direct control should work with direct aiming

You're pretty much asking to rewrite the mechanics of the game.

Pretty sure that's not gonna happen.

/rant

The only problem I have with targeting is that it's clunky and overly complicated.  Targeting should consist of holding a hot key and clicking on what you want to target in order.  The first thing you lock is automatically primary and when it dies, the next thing that you locked is automatically pushed up to primary.  No clicks needed, just automatic bump in the meat grinder queue.  If you decide that you want to change targets, simply mouse over it and give it a single click.. presto!  Primary!

The current method is one hot key to primary something, another hot key to select secondaries, then, when your primary dies, we have to perform some more keyboard and  mouse Olympics to shoot at another target.  God forbid you click on anything else on your screen in between selecting primaries and secondaries, cause now you've just un-highlighted your next primary and will have to click on it again and then hit a hot key to make it primary.

Of all things that should have been lifted from EVE with no changes, targeting should have been one of them.

/end rant