Re: Robot Control - fix it for teh noobs

Well it's the game with time-based character progression, nothing wrong with being unable to do everything right from the start. That other game have similar system too. Only difference is - that in EvE you should be online from time to time to set that goddamn books. What's for ICE, current prices are very cheap comparing to how many one player can actually get in that month.

IMO main problem is - that newbies have almost nothing to in those 3-4 months - everything becomes boring too fast. But DEVs are already working on that.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

27 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-28 15:42:45)

I'm not quite sure you've actually read it. It makes specialization easier by branching extensions to their roles, moving the distinction from a weapon based (all light weapon bots are Basic Robotics, all medium weapon bots are Advanced Robotics) to a role based system (Light/Assault/Mech/Heavy Mech).

The time to train a specific role is cut in half, but the amount required to achieve the current result in-game remains unchanged. Meaning, its useless to vets who have BR 10 / AR 10, but to a newbie it's gonna mean a lot of saved EP to invest elsewhere.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Like many saw on the steam community comments, they want f2p and instant gratification.  Boy are they in for a shocker.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Changing formula will make lots of things easier to exploit, I don't think that was your initial point. So as I've stated earlier, option B could be better, but class only. and even that should be balanced well to avoid, says, trial miners become more popular.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Yup, all patches/changes will potentially make lots of things easier to exploit. I've mentioned numerous times over the years that we need - in general - a test server and a test forum where everyone who cares to can test new stuff out and provide feedback to fix exploits.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

All i hear from this is make the game quick and easy to play.

Suppose for a moment syndic you get your way and the noobs are able to be "more competitive" verses vets (and were talking about competitive on paper) it still takes months and months to gather the skill and know how to effectively play the game in pvp.

I agree that there should be more horizontal progression but putting people in bots they dont know how to use properly in the first place? they will still leave in the end.

So lets talk about the real problem about progression along the same bot classes... the game needs a much larger menu of bots in all classes for the population to not only grow but stay playing the game.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

32 (edited by Hunter 2013-03-02 05:59:05)

nvm

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Noobs dont kill vets in EVE either ... And how many accounts/active subs and daily player base does that game have?

40k on at any one time ... And not because the game is easy.
Currently, without too much effort, newer corps are settling Gamma with bases. These players die quicker to more experienced players but they are also reaping some of the production and other Gamma benefits the vets have. This is a game of patience. There is no substitute for time in the game. You either put it in or you don't ... and it's not the playstyle for everyone.

And really, training one skill to drive a bigger bot does not make a player better instantly. Early on I put ALOT of ep into fitting skills so I could drive whatever bot effectively. When I finally got into the Mesmer Mk2 I still had to spend another 150k-200k ep to fit it decently ... And I still die more than I should. Point is, pilot ability, and a combination of extensions are far more important than just racing into the biggest bots. If noobs understand this, and realize it takes a commitment to do something in the game, at least the ones who stay will probably stay for awhile.

My .02