Topic: Couple Changes I think would help.

Hello everyone,

I'm liking the game thus far, so much I subbed two accounts. I try not to do anything half ***. I'm just having a few issues and I've noticed a couple things that could use a tweak.

-Light bots are far too slow, I'm sure everyone in the world has said it before but they need 20-30 more KPH across the board. A light bot with full armament should still be able to out run any mech with a light weight frame.  Speed is life with light bots. Also some sort of formula that increases the chance to miss for higher speed would also help. I think this would put a lot more pilots in lighter bots instead of all the Kains and Mesmers we see running around at 70kph.

-Shield Generators should be head slot items. The shield tanking bots (Pelestials) are gimped when it comes to leg slots making an effective armor tank impossible. Moving that one module to the head would open up a range of new build possibilities for Pelestial bots.

- Gamma Islands are a bad idea. I understand the concept, and that the veteran players needed more content, but from what I've seen, every major corp builds their gamma stronghold and hide out there for all time. If anything with the current population the world needs to be smaller, not larger. I think one way to resolve some of this would be to place particular but vital resources on particular islands. That way people would be forced to travel to said islands and fight over these resources to maintain their production, or come to a diplomatic solution.

That's all really.

Boden Mash/Mash Boden

Re: Couple Changes I think would help.

Mash Boden wrote:

Gamma Islands are a bad idea ... every major corp builds their gamma stronghold and hide out there for all time  ...world needs to be smaller, not larger. I think one way to resolve some of this would be to place particular but vital resources on particular islands.

I think rather than Gamma being a bad idea that Beta has become somewhat redundant and needs new meaningful reasons to occupy it.

The last point I have quoted touches on what I see as a key issue - something which Syndic mentioned in this post.

This game has too much symmetry. Sure, there are a couple of raw materials you can't get on each island but apart from that ...!?

• Why do all the islands need to be the same size?

• Why do all the "green", "yellow" and "blue" islands need to be grouped together? Mix them up - still have Theolodica controlling a group of islands but why must they only control the dirty brown ones?

• Why such uniformity of teleports? Make some islands with only one entrance/exit some with fourteen.

• Mess about with the raw material thresholds and let the players work out which islands don't have stermonit and which ones are floating on epri.

• Make some islands with no terminals or outposts some with lots.

• Make some betas have no player outposts some with lots.

• Don't put exactly the same set of variants in each of the three NPC controlled sectors.

Give people a reason to choose one place over another, to fight for one place over another. It seems like a counter-intuitive step with current population but a I believe a larger more varied world will quickly become a more vibrant and populous world.

3 (edited by Dazamin 2013-03-01 13:45:11)

Mash Boden wrote:

- Gamma Islands are a bad idea. I understand the concept, and that the veteran players needed more content, but from what I've seen, every major corp builds their gamma stronghold and hide out there for all time.

Good post. You are pretty much right about this, although I'd say badly implemented rather than bad idea. However I wouldn't expect to get much support on that point from the majority of Gamma residents. Carebear paradise is what they've always pushed for smile

i have found one disturbing phrase in this topic:

"NPC controlled sectors" -> what is that?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

"NPC controlled sectors" -> what is that?

"controlled" was a clumsy word to use. The Nuimqol, Thelodica and Pelistal islands do have NPC terminals and the roaming and static NPCs are predominantly of one faction or another, however. I think you know what I meant.

For me currently the best part of the game is mine craft and Sim City.  I love it tbh.  I have more fun building roads/bunkers and settlements than anything else in game.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

For me currently the best part of the game is mine craft and Sim City.  I love it tbh.  I have more fun building roads/bunkers and settlements than anything else in game.

which is kinda strange, in a PvP / Economy game, since you build your settlements for anything but those two factors.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

The inaccuracy of this thread is almosf worse than the gamma dev/player meeting. Anni what happened, did styx touch you?

Gamma was designed for a larger player base, currentky you would almost not have enough man power to out dps the automated defences. I mean let alone if the server could handle the proper number of.players. gamma may not even be the largest cojtributor but without us have statistics and data to go off we cant make valid claims or points. These wild accusations as to why the pop is *** has just been getting more and more twisted and confused.

I remember a year ago I used to say the game was great and stable it just needed more features. Now I can crash the entire server if I loot a special way and can barly perform mundain tasks with out experiances issues.

How I wish it was just simply gamma or a easy fix but we all know the issues are adding up.to.create where we are at.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:

The inaccuracy of this thread is almosf worse than the gamma dev/player meeting. Anni what happened, did styx touch you?

Gamma was designed for a larger player base, currentky you would almost not have enough man power to out dps the automated defences. I mean let alone if the server could handle the proper number of.players. gamma may not even be the largest cojtributor but without us have statistics and data to go off we cant make valid claims or points. These wild accusations as to why the pop is *** has just been getting more and more twisted and confused.

I remember a year ago I used to say the game was great and stable it just needed more features. Now I can crash the entire server if I loot a special way and can barly perform mundain tasks with out experiances issues.

How I wish it was just simply gamma or a easy fix but we all know the issues are adding up.to.create where we are at.

Thread is pretty accurate tbh. Honestly I'm pretty tired of hearing "blah, blah, blah larger population" Population hasn't really grown in 2 years, I' d like to have been able to play a functioning game in that time." The Gamma meeting with the devs was a joke, because we have now ended up with what the majority of you at the meeting asked for, and its pretty bad.

10 (edited by Syndic 2013-03-01 20:06:38)

The great wars of the past are over. All thats left is mini-wars between 10 guys to prevent boredom. Move on with the times I guess and hope for a better future. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Big Empty World: PVP players complain that they have to drive around for hours just to find (1) miner to kill. Miner complains that they can't get far enough away to stop from getting killed.

No one is getting what they want. I think that's a fairly simple explaination why population is low.

12 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-01 20:59:40)

im quite confident that gamma is nota major factor considering that the players arn't making past new and/or medium play tobecome a vet and experiance gamma. The argument that gamma isnt functioning as intended is a entirly seperate argument. Thefactthat people are worried about the 5 to 20 players online are behind a gamma bse is some how hindering game growth is a joke. If you needthose players else where to grow population then you serious issuez beyond their location.

The most players we ever had was with out gamma. Give us the population flow charts and peak play times with activites performed back to the begining we may be able to start getting somewhere. I remeber moral being a large a factor in players playing. Players leavimg when they think others are beijg allowed to cheat and run the game. Players spending killions to billions on new features to see the cost or work they did nerfed amd made null, even at times that same work being eased for others and your effort disregarded.

What happened to 1000 man norhoop.
What happened to foom/stc/nex or any other influx.
What happened to ToG n friends on alsbale.
What happened to........

If you still think its gamma show me why.....

A game designed for a certain level of players but no plan or process to reach those numbers wont work either. From my personal experiance, the players themselvex are a driving factor. I have cause many to quit directly or indirectly.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Mash Boden wrote:

Hello everyone,

-Shield Generators should be head slot items. The shield tanking bots (Pelestials) are gimped when it comes to leg slots making an effective armor tank impossible. Moving that one module to the head would open up a range of new build possibilities for Pelestial bots.

Boden Mash/Mash Boden

You are missing the point of Pelestial, for the most part Pelestial are supposed to run shields.  Have you ever tried to break a Tyro mk2 that is properly fit out? without an ictus?  Ever tried to break and icky mk2 properly fit out and running logi support?  Green bots cant armor tank you say?  My gropho mk2 disagrees.  You are also not taking into consideration the fact that greens can fire over cover.  <----(A Huge advantage) 

As you have said, you are fairly new to the game, and believe me the greens have there place and in certain situations shine better that any over bot in the game.  Wanna siege a gamma? Grophos.  Wanna run a badass shield tank with an insane acc recharge rate? tyro mk2/icky mk2.  I'm not trying to bash on you, but greens are a diffucult class to play.  For one, you have to understand your strengths and your weaknesses and know how to take full advantage of them.  And secondly, you need to master the dropping shields, shooting, raising shields mechanic.  It's not easy, but once you get it down, its awesome. And as to your last point, greens cant armor tank?  Guess what, they arern't really supposed too.  You can very easily armor tank a gropho/mk2.  You can very easily armor tank a Wasp mk2.  But besides those two cases greens are not supposed to armor tank.  They are a dedicated shield class.  There are some good armor tank builds for the tyro mk2 as well.  Ghandi has taught me that lesson on many occasions.  So in conclusion I think you are completely wrong on the greens being gimped topic, you just need to adjust your builds or play to your strengths more.

Martha Stuart wrote:

.  So in conclusion I think you are completely wrong on the greens being gimped topic, you just need to adjust your builds or play to your strengths more.

What I said is that they are gimped when it comes to leg slots. Which they are. I understand that the MK2's can fit a variety of different setups, due to the extra leg slots, however, I am not a year old player. Why should I have to wait months and months to get into a gropho mk2? All I'm saying is make a shield generator a head slot item, I don't think that would unbalance the game any it would just allow newer pelestial pilots to use the few leg slots they do have for other modules. Every other MK1 assault has 3 leg slots, I'm not saying give the waspish another one, just allow them to put the shield gen on their head.

15 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-01 22:08:57)

Mash Boden wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

.  So in conclusion I think you are completely wrong on the greens being gimped topic, you just need to adjust your builds or play to your strengths more.

What I said is that they are gimped when it comes to leg slots. Which they are. I understand that the MK2's can fit a variety of different setups, due to the extra leg slots, however, I am not a year old player. Why should I have to wait months and months to get into a gropho mk2? All I'm saying is make a shield generator a head slot item, I don't think that would unbalance the game any it would just allow newer pelestial pilots to use the few leg slots they do have for other modules. Every other MK1 assault has 3 leg slots, I'm not saying give the waspish another one, just allow them to put the shield gen on their head.

Yes, it would Completely unbalance the game.  wanna know why?  cause then you can run an armor tank and a shield tank AT THE SAME TIME.  You can run 4 plates in the legs, and a med shield in the Top with 3 hardeners.  do you not see how completely unbalanced this would make it?

Edit:  Why should you have to wait a month to get a gropho mk2?  Because everyone else had too.

just imagine tyrannos mk2 with lwf + 3x recharger. when you got shield in headslot. is the loss of one shield tuning worth that imba recharge rate?

Explain to me how having a shield and armor tank at the same time is at all viable. If your shield tank breaks you are out of accumulator. How exactly would an armor repper be useful in that scenario?

or 2x recharg, med injector, and LWF + the 50% acc recharge bonus from adv robo, that would be totally insane.

The Devs did promise a long times ago to make 3 different variations of bots that excell at different things back when the masking was nerfed, dont know what happened to that it probably got shelved.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

20 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-01 22:31:13)

Mash Boden wrote:

Explain to me how having a shield and armor tank at the same time is at all viable. If your shield tank breaks you are out of accumulator. How exactly would an armor repper be useful in that scenario?

Energy transfer from a logi bot crosses my mind.  And with logi you don't even need a local rep in the first place.

Edit:  plus greens don't need accum to fire.  A 6 missile volley form a gropho cost around 25 accum to shoot

if i remember right, a 3rd recharger equals an injector in AP/s on a tyrannos, even if its empty... without any need for heavy ammo.

Mash - a pelistal bot does not run "out of accumulator" for longer then a few seconds. and what they probably mean, is not repair tanking but putting a plate there that covers the short timeframe between shield down and shield up when shooting - which is the only time they can be killed easily because their low hitpoints.

Lemon wrote:

If you still think its gamma show me why.....

A game designed for a certain level of players but no plan or process to reach those numbers wont work either. From my personal experiance, the players themselvex are a driving factor. I have cause many to quit directly or indirectly.

Gamma is an example of the kind of game design that's causing the problems, no its not the only problem. The point is, these design decisions are what the majority of the 'vet' players asked for.

No one has raged about the speed boost for lights yet, how about we just try and push that one through.....

Thats because we mostly agree Mash

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Mash ~

Lights can top 140 KPH. That's  pretty fast when taking into account their other abilities detection / masking. Dont be fooled into thinking your going to be able to solve anything with a further speed increase to lights, their role is maily scout . More speed on lights will just imbalance the game.

Shield hardeners belong in the head and Shield generators belong in the legs, other combinations would require a total rework of all the bot classes. From the Lithus MK2 to the VagaMK2.... there are many more bots other than green bots that use shields primarily ... (just about all of the EW bots in the game)

Gamma is a non issue to population .. if anything it enables the space needed to support a larger population.

reworking the minerals what minerals will go on what islands will not happen at this point unless the DEVS open up new islands. Why? Because once the DEVS add or remove a mineral form any gamma the forums will burn with hate and rage because of perceived "unfairness in the mineral / island selections" ~> or they would remove the same minerals from all of the same island classes and then what do you have .. just less minerals and the need for large corporations to own many different locations... with spark teleport its a cake walk to do...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.