1 (edited by Brutalizer 2013-01-18 12:28:00)

Topic: How to fix this game

I just finished the two month trial & kickstarter, and I'm on the fence about subscribing. 

Here's what would change my mind

Streamline the resource system.  Why do we need so many different types of refined materials?  Simplify it dummy.

Why are there so many research kernals?  Simplify it dummy.

Allow purchases from other stations without having to be there, just require a skill for it and a tax fee for purchasing it (Plus an additional 2-3 days for processing).

Allow accessing agents/missions without having to dock at a station.

Allow the player to turn in extra mission items (quest items) for ICS tokens.

Allow people to walk over previously "unwalkable" terrain.  Instead, just make them walk at a much slower pace (75% penalty).  You know how many times I've tried to go someplace, then realized I have to go all the way around this huge mountain because this one tiny spot that it looked like i could cross I couldn't?

Ultimately,  the less "variations" of junk items, i.e... research kernals, refined goods, excess trash items, and various other things... the more active the market is for new players, and the less dead it seems.  The less confusing it is to find things you need... etc

There's a lot more I could suggest, I'll have to regurgitate everything I noticed over the past two months ^^

Hope this helps

2 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-01-18 13:44:11)

Re: How to fix this game

Brutalizer wrote:

Streamline the resource system.  Why do we need so many different types of refined materials?  Simplify it dummy.

I agree with this to an extent. To have three commodities (hydrobenol, espitium and alligior) that are all made from four raw materials (titan, HDT, liquizit and epriton) just in different proprtions does seem unnecessarily complicated. That isn't the only example. EDIT: forgot the HDT.

Brutalizer wrote:

Why are there so many research kernals?  Simplify it dummy.

This is being changed very shortly - http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … -instances

Brutalizer wrote:

Allow purchases from other stations without having to be there, just require a skill for it and a tax fee for purchasing it (Plus an additional 2-3 days for processing). Allow accessing agents/missions without having to dock at a station. Allow the player to turn in extra mission items (quest items) for ICS tokens.

Remote purchasing would be nice - not sure what you mean by "processing" - and assignments are getting a revamp soon too - see blog linked above.

Brutalizer wrote:

Allow people to walk over previously "unwalkable" terrain...

I can't agree with this one. Eventually you get to know the terrain so you don't really notice and passable/impassable for different types of bot is critical to strategy in PvP. Without it PvP (and the tactics to killing some of the more elite mobs) would be greatly diminished.

Stick with it, this game certainly has minor frustrations - I remember from when I started - but the longer you play the better it gets. Have you joined a player corp yet?

+1 for OP. I have a couple of threads to streamline the industry.

The impassible terrain is a real PITA, same as the walls. I doubt that's going to change.

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Brutalizer 2013-01-19 17:18:36)

they have to change it or this game WILL die.  When I consider playing this, or Eve....  I always pick Eve.  I can play Eve while watching other shows, this game my guy always gets stuck in the most random "impassible" areas.  It's going to be a huge turn off to new players if they get in "dead ends" frequently, which is the case.  I got stuck countless times and the impassible areas seem really complex to navigate (like they tried to encompass an area but only one entrance 90% of the time)

It's annoying enough that the plants only serve to impede your travel.  I have yet to find a use for them in combat, once again speaking from a new player experience.

For plants there needs to be a way to just shoot them, even on alpha by pvp flagging. You can't just avoid all the griefing. For impassible terrain it's more complicated, it provides defence on gamma island and strategy for pvp.

Brutaliser I don't agree eve being better, just because you can afk for longer, that's not a good reason.

RIP PERPETUUM

terrain slope affecting your speed is a game feature on the "impossible" list of the DEVs

if your already turned off by the blocke terrain mechanics -> stop before you hit even more "walls", like LoS issues with anything but ewar and missiles.
demobbing, ecm'ing npcs or pvp "pirates"...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I got one to add:

Enforce the EULA.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Brutalizer wrote:

they have to change it or this game WILL die.  When I consider playing this, or Eve....  I always pick Eve.  I can play Eve while watching other shows, this game my guy always gets stuck in the most random "impassible" areas.  It's going to be a huge turn off to new players if they get in "dead ends" frequently, which is the case.  I got stuck countless times and the impassible areas seem really complex to navigate (like they tried to encompass an area but only one entrance 90% of the time)

It's annoying enough that the plants only serve to impede your travel.  I have yet to find a use for them in combat, once again speaking from a new player experience.

I'm not trolling here. I would just like to give a different view by saying this is the exact reason why I personally do not like eve. But the rest of your points at top of page I agree with and think they should be looked at for adjustments. Nice post and I hope you stick with perp.

9 (edited by Gunner 2013-01-27 12:24:14)

Brutalizer wrote:

this game my guy always gets stuck in the most random "impassible" areas.  It's going to be a huge turn off to new players if they get in "dead ends" frequently, which is the case.  I got stuck countless times and the impassible areas seem really complex to navigate (like they tried to encompass an area but only one entrance 90% of the time)

Press L

also turn on Impassible on the radar

lol. Please tell me you haven't been playing for two weeks without either pressing 'L' (http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … able_slope) or using the radar. Jeez, I think I'd have thrown my computer out of the window if I was doing that.

also you need the radar on to get a good view of that

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

75% speed debuff on "impassable terrain" actually makes sense.

I have no idea why there is any other radar mode besides passable/impassable.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

75% speed debuff on "impassable terrain" actually makes sense.

very bad idea, I dont want bots scaling mountians or wall like on gamma etc..

+1 being able to do remote sell and buy orders.

Why not, the hordes of little spiders crawling over those walls would be so fun... And a -75% speed debuff is a pretty strong passive "AOE demob". lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

chicken-egg syndrome... the radar passability overlay came way after radar itself. The radar without the slope display has a slight shading, that could be used to itentify the terrain... in theory wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Ahh, the usual case of boring robot-logic.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Why not, the hordes of little spiders crawling over those walls would be so fun... And a -75% speed debuff is a pretty strong passive "AOE demob". lol

So true.  You get hit with an L-Demob while making a risky move through that terrain and you're cactus.  This is a really good idea.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=714-Ioa4XQw

I'm just going to leave this here....

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13