Topic: Player Wrecks Should Drop Fragments & Kernals

Seeing as how the fragments are just scrap metal that is 'salvaged' from the destroyed bot, shouldn't players drop fragments as well?  Would just add more 'immersion' to it, as you blur the lines between NPC and player loot.  The level of the fragments could scale with player extensions just as they do for the ranks of NPC spawns.
The Game
Having players drop kernals is a bit of an iffy subject though, but I decided to add it just to see if its remotely feasible or logical to do.  They would have to drop kernals of a certain level, but which is still unclear to me.  Maybe that could be determined based on your current extensions, much like how the extension levels of NPC's is determined by which rank they are.  You kill a veteran player you get a good kernal to drop with it.
The Game
This will obviously scale with player extensions and the bot they're in.  Arkhes would not drop a  drone kernal at all because of the current situation with Arkhes.  If you see a possible exploit with this please flame this post so I can improve this idea.
The Game
Again, this is just something minor that popped into my head that I thought I'd share with the loving Perpetuum community to hash it out more fully.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Re: Player Wrecks Should Drop Fragments & Kernals

Dropping fragments seems appropriate, the player bots are bascially just reverse engineered NPC bots, so there should be pieces of it left over.

Salvaging!

Some kind of salvaging would be nice, a special salvagin module would be required, but don't make it like in eve.. it should be like normal looting except if you have salvaging module you can have the fragments+possible other stuff extra. player bots also should drop these.

5 (edited by Vorgrim Scout 2010-12-14 17:18:16)

Fragements maybe. Kernals, definitely not.

Coming from the guy who made the "how to perpertuum's most dangerous agent" thread, this should be pretty obvious. Arkhes would be exempt from even fragments.

Probably best to just leave it as is.

Arkhes, being free, obviously wouldn't drop anything. That would be far too farmable. Everything else dropping salvage would be a nice bonus.

Vorgrim Scout wrote:

Fragements maybe. Kernals, definitely not.

Coming from the guy who made the "how to perpertuum's most dangerous agent" thread, this should be pretty obvious. Arkhes would be exempt from even fragments.

Probably best to just leave it as is.

READ, SON!

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Ya Vorgrim you need to read *** before you reply to it.

And seridur why would you need salvaging for this? NPC bots drop fragments without any form of salvaging.

Agreed, salvage skill shouldn't be needed for fragments.

It would be an interesting idea to have a Salvage item, and some EP skills associated with it. It would be useless after the bot was already destroyed, but if it was active on the bot during combat, it could reduce the damage on dropped items; and possibly increase the % chance that an item will survive the destruction.

Salvage skill/module would likely increase the number of modules you could loot (you see more stuff you can make us of, even though its very badly damaged) and dramatically increase how many fragments you got out of it.

Would make a salvager a very useful addition to any pve group (in a sequer or industry mech looting everything) and be interesting in pvp to be able to get more of what your enemy or friendlies dropped if carrying lots of higher tier items.

I like the idea of players dropping both kernals and fragments. Given that different players have access to different amounts of research, I think it's logical to drop kernals. This simulates industrial espionage which I'm sure is going on between all the corporations in Project Perpetuum.

Why did you put "The Game" between every paragraph?

Also, player-driven arkhes should drop neither kernals nor fragments tongue

too easily exploited

Lege wrote:

too easily exploited

How.  Please, tell me how you'd exploit this so it can be "fixed" and made better.

Btw, Arkhes wouldnt drop fragments or kernals.

I think he means exploited for kernels.

Killing a corp mate in an insured bot for their kernal would be one exploit.

Fragments OK, kernels, probably not.

Arga wrote:

M2S already exploits this. Kernals wont make a difference.

Arga wrote:

Your insight is amazing, because that extra 9k in light bot, 12k in assault and 20k in mech will totaly fu*k up the game.

Siddy wrote:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OYX_3YnMI]Your insight is amazing, because that extra 9k in light bot, 12k in assault and 20k in mech will totaly fu*k up the game.

Aside from troll smell I got nothing from this.

what do you mean by 9,12, and 20K?

I'm not going to click the link because I follow the moto;
"There are some things on the Internet you wish you could unsee".

Arga wrote:
Siddy wrote:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OYX_3YnMI]Your insight is amazing, because that extra 9k in light bot, 12k in assault and 20k in mech will totaly fu*k up the game.

Aside from troll smell I got nothing from this.

what do you mean by 9,12, and 20K?

I'm not going to click the link because I follow the moto;
"There are some things on the Internet you wish you could unsee".

How much the kernals are worth.  Do you really thing that the insurance payout + 1 kernal and some fragments would turn a profit?  The answer is LOL NO.

It isn't just arkhes. The other bots with infinite buy orders would have to be checked too. Maybe the lore has a place in this argument. Human pilots don't drop kernels. Fragments seem to drop plenty too, they haven't been a limiting reagent for me.

This isnt about any sort of limits or not having enouhg of them, its mostly just about blurring the lines of NPC and player loot drops.

Players should drop fragments because its metal scraps of the bot that got destroyed.

Players should drop kernals because the kernal is like the "operating system" of the robot, which every bot should have regardless if its being piloted by a player or not.

It wont create any exploit, because the insurance payout is not high enough for 1 kernal and a few fragments to compensate for.

How would you suggest determining the tier of the kernel? An average of equipped modules maybe?

Gerrick wrote:

How would you suggest determining the tier of the kernel?

Number of kills made by the victim since its last PvP death?

(this is intended as a joke, due to the obviousness of the exploitability)

But yeah, an average of the equipped modules sounds nice.

23 (edited by auster 2010-12-15 16:39:53)

If you view player bots as npc bots, then it makes sense to let them drop fragments aswell. It should be similar to the fragments that npcs drop. Letting an yagel drop perfect fragments doesn't make sense.

Letting them drop kernels is a bit different. I guess you meant to scale their rank because letting a yagel drop a heavy mech kernel seems a bit off to me. But scaling to which extensions? All of them according to the EP spent? It doesn't fit in if you kill an industry specialized player because this one should be an easy prey. More like Campana suggested: Scaling according to your knowledge base. But the question remains: What is a rookie/veteran player?

EDIT: You actually have two aspects here: difficulty to kill vs. size of knowledge base. Usually the difficulty should define the reward.

Considering that you don't kill as many players as you kill npcs (well you might want to correct me on this one wink, the fragments/kernels they would drop won't matter much.

Of course the rank is what scales.  You will drop the bot type kernal of what you're in.  The rank of the kernal would be decided by your extensions, maybe just a small set of extensions like basic/advanced robotics, mechanics, weapon skills but it still somewhat mirrors how hard you would be to kill based on some of those things.

This would still not be something you could profit from even if it was a 5th rank kernal coming from it.  They're just not valuable enough for 1 of them to offset any loss you take from losing the bot, even insured.

Again, adding this will mean NOTHING to the economy, its just about having more consistency between NPC and player kills for the 'immersion' factor.

I like this idea.

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]