Re: Discussion: An official Perpetuum Wiki

As I mentioned in my initial post, I also realise that the game guide does not have a proper wiki structure.

So yes, you are free to cut it up, merge it, whatever it needs to be more streamlined.

However, I wouldn't delete large chunks of anything before we don't have it somewhere else. Parts of it could be still reused on the new page.

As for this particular example, I think it would be a good idea to have the Reverse engineering article explain the uses and the process itself, and only link to CTs, decoders, etc. (or use the "See main article: xy" links).

52 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-07 17:45:22)

The game guide isn't too bad but I do think each page needs to separated away from being the lexicon and the main category of "Game Guide" added them. The wiki shouldn't just be about game guides, it could have battle reports (They're always opinionated but with a bit of bleach that comes right out.) and much more.

If the game guide has a section that needs more detail, add more details to it. Reverse Engineering can include a section about CT's with a main article link to what a CT is.

I might have a little play around with one page of the game guide to see what happens (Only preview) but if I find something that is more wiki and less website I'll save it.

I'm not too familiar with the traditional wiki structure , i'll try and follow by example. Is never wrong in having too much information even if it's duplicated. The developer's game guide seem pretty good, just needs some updating to the gamma expansion. I created an article section, I find more entertaining reading articles with links to words players might not know.

RIP PERPETUUM

Alexander wrote:

The game guide isn't too bad but I do think each page needs to separated away from being the lexicon and the main category of "Game Guide" added them. The wiki shouldn't just be about game guides, it could have battle reports (They're always opinionated but with a bit of bleach that comes right out.) and much more.

If the game guide has a section that needs more detail, add more details to it. Reverse Engineering can include a section about CT's with a main article link to what a CT is.

I might have a little play around with one page of the game guide to see what happens (Only preview) but if I find something that is more wiki and less website I'll save it.

It would be good to have a history of the power blocks from begining to now.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Following the game guide I've tried to recreate a design that is more wiki friendly.

Here is the result for I. Creating a character (Rename creating an agent)
http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … g_an_agent

It still needs a lot more details but should include (When finished):

• Creating an avatar

• Megacorporations

• Schools

• Specialities

• Sparks

• Character name

Let me know what you think. The category for the page will be "Game Guide"

DEV Zoom wrote:

So yes, you are free to cut it up, merge it, whatever it needs to be more streamlined.

Ok. Good to know that you are not too precious about the game guide. The approach I am taking is one similar to normalising a database (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) so that game aspects that need to be referenced from multiple places have their own page. For example, CTs need to be included in factory, reverse engineering and artifacting at least so they get their own page.

Will see what I can do with building stuff from other stuff pages in the next week or so but, as I mentioned, sometimes I have to do things that put food on the table so progress will be slow.

57 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-07 19:27:15)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Ok. Good to know that you are not too precious about the game guide. The approach I am taking is one similar to normalising a database (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) so that game aspects that need to be referenced from multiple places have their own page. For example, CTs need to be included in factory, reverse engineering and artifacting at least so they get their own page.

Will see what I can do with building stuff from other stuff pages in the next week or so but, as I mentioned, sometimes I have to do things that put food on the table so progress will be slow.

That sounds perfect. Just how it should be!

Each section of the game having a wiki page with a number of other pages pooling them together. Industry linking to mining, refining and production, decoding and prototyping, Decoding linking to CTs and Decoders. etc.

Short game processes like creating an account or creating an agent should get their own sections but should link off to other sections where they can. Like this.

Ludlow: yes, quite what I had in mind.

Alexander: looks good to me. The only thing where I would optimize a bit is the career preset section, maybe including the images into the tables would make it more compact.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Alexander: looks good to me. The only thing where I would optimize a bit is the career preset section, maybe including the images into the tables would make it more compact.

Soon (TM) tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

60 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-07 19:59:27)

DEV Zoom wrote:

The images aren't really needed but I wanted to include them where possible. If you can find someway to include them then please do as I spent a while just trying to get them onto the page in some ordered fashion.

Edit: Improved?

Hacked a bit more on that, looks good now smile

I would like to discuss how to handle conflicts between singular and plural wiki pages correct.
E.g. we have a page "raw materials" and while I struggled over a orphaned link to "raw material" I created that page before checking that the plural version existed. Now I inserted a redirect from singular to allready existing plural and removed my new content.

In general I think singular as base line is better even for things like commodities or raw materials that are usually used as plural.

63 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-01-08 09:26:05)

[EDIT Was nonsense - its quite early in the morning sad[/EDIT]

64 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-08 18:49:16)

A better system to is:
[[kernel|kernels]] This links to kernal but says kernals. All pages should be in the singular unless 1 unit of the time is plural.

Agreed. And it's actually kernEl smile

However, categories should stay in plural, don't you think?

I made a prototype article for one of the modules:
http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … _HCL_laser

As you can see this is a lot of work, but in the end I think it's worth it.

Is there anything you would still want to put in there or maybe do differently?

Awesome. I'll help you guys out later with the modules, seems like a good job for my brain capacity.

69 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-08 19:50:07)

DEV Zoom wrote:

However, categories should stay in plural, don't you think?

100% yes.

Edit:
I created a duplicate category (They're case sensitive, whoops!)

Please delete the now empty:
http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … eavy_Mechs

And can you also rename the following so that "Guide" has a lower case G:
http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … Game_Guide

Zoom the module page is fantastic!

I would love to see the same for MPC structures as well, ATM I can't always find their area of effect or amount of bonus per tier of structure ... Things like that.
I do admit other than helping build MPC structures I'm new to the colony management.
I just found it hard reading the info on the item in game to determine some of its parameters.  And having the manufacturing costs for each item on the same wiki page is excellent also smile

Alex: both done. (Categories cannot be renamed just recreated.)

Just adding two cents, I wouldn't link http://www.perp-kill.net on the wikki main page.  I wished the sequer.nl one was functioning without comments OR there was a revamped on controlled and moderated by AC.  Just me thinking a new player seeing some of those comments would possibly reflect bad on the community.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

73 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-08 21:45:07)

Ville wrote:

Just adding two cents, I wouldn't link http://www.perp-kill.net on the wikki main page.  I wished the sequer.nl one was functioning without comments OR there was a revamped on controlled and moderated by AC.  Just me thinking a new player seeing some of those comments would possibly reflect bad on the community.

The kill-board should have always been official with the use of an API feed for corporations to use to create their own  boards with showing only what they're interested in.

The official kill-board should only include kills and should follow the current API system where kill details are hidden for at least 1 hour.

Ville, you get my +1 on that! big_smile

Hm I noticed you put the elite variant on the laser page.

We could do a variant table for every module, containing all tiers from T0 to T4+. But I think prototypes are a different variant level, they have a direct connection to their normal counterparts, so I don't know how these two systems mix.

I just got a really good screen shot of the "breath of life" replenishing my noralgis farm.

Is there any official name for the "breath of life" should I choose to include a page on it, or include it in another page?