Topic: Discussion: An official Perpetuum Wiki

We admit the current game guide is a bit lacking, this is even more true for the latest features which got into the game.

There have been a number of unofficial (and very nice!) wikis popping up in the past, but as they are all owned and controlled by an invididual player who may or may not be with us anymore, these are not really future-proof.

So it would be high time to set up an official wiki.

The best of all is that we're already using wiki syntax internally, so converting the current Game Guide would be quite easy, and the game client would be able to read the new wiki without much development needed.

This would be the plan as well: convert the current game guide, and build/fix/expand/restructure based on that.

Questions:

1. Should the wiki be editable for anyone with a Perpetuum account, or just a few selected volunteers?
2. Volunteers would be much needed for either case for moderating, fixing, etc., so would there be anyone willing to step up for this?

UPDATE (2013-01-03)

So, here it is:

http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com

If you are logged in on the Perpetuum website you will be automatically logged in to the wiki. Your wiki username is always your currently selected Agent's name.

Everyone with an active, non-trial account can edit.

For now we have imported the current game guide, it's linked on the main page. You can build upon these articles, but it's not required at all, since the guide doesn't really have a proper wiki structure.

I'm not really a wiki expert, but for anyone who would like to contribute, my suggestion would be to pick a topic/mechanic/item/feature/guide/etc of which you have a pretty good knowledge, and do an article on it or update a current one. Once we have a solid base of articles we can build a proper main page too.

There are already one or two good unofficial wikis out there, and it would be probably cool if we could integrate some articles from them. I'm not really sure whether you need the consent of the original author for that, since derived works probably fall under our copyright as well, but it's always nice to ask for it, just to make sure.

One of these days I will upload all the original icon files too, so you will be able to use them in the articles.

Questions should be posted in this topic, including clarification or confirmation of game mechanics.

2 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-12-13 21:45:22)

Re: Discussion: An official Perpetuum Wiki

Let anyone with an account edit/request changes, but volunteers must approve.

+1 for official wiki.

Great idea to expand the game guide, I would allow all subbed account to contribute to the wiki. I'm inclined to help out moderating etc, if it does not take too much of my time.

RIP PERPETUUM

The Wiki should only be editable by the Devs but players should be able to make submissions to make changes to it. I fear the abuse that would ensue if players were allowed to change it instantly without any verification.  Although I fear also that the devs would not have the time to properly manage it.

I don’t personally like the notion of “GM’s” but I think the general public should not have instant access to change it. … maybe a waiting period for submission alterations .. either way there needs to be some type of verification before any submission goes permanent/public.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I also fear that proper management would be a time issue on our side, and letting changes stay in approval limbo even for a day would easily create content conflicts.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I also fear that proper management would be a time issue on our side, and letting changes stay in approval limbo even for a day would easily create content conflicts.

need volunteers ? o/

I think most people would be happy with the wiki being up dated weekly or monthly ... really i think it would only change as new content was introduced but that depends on its initial release. if done properly with all current content there will be very little to change on it, and thus changes would follow new patches.

this would also require the devs to make full disclosures about mechanics ... this would be essential to the essence of the wiki. if it is an "official" wiki then details surrounding all aspects of the game should be made available.

Requesting and receiving this information from the development team should also come with no resistance.

examples would be the current knowledge base system which i know is going to change but many have asked for the mechanic behind this and all that was said is it random...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

i think having a official wiki implemented into the hp would surly help newer players.

to let everybody with a perp account edit he wiki would be generaly a bad idea. so volunteers will be needed who have fun to add content and moderate the suggestions from the rest of the community.

the work has to be kept off the devs for most things then i think honestly that you have better stuff to do... big_smile

Tux wrote:

I think the general public should not have instant access to change it. … maybe a waiting period for submission alterations .. either way there needs to be some type of verification before any submission goes permanent/public.

Yes, Wiki much needed, please do! And yes, the community should be able to contribute, directly, at least for while with such a small number of players. Of course you have to avoid the abusers.

Perhaps give anyone with over three months sub access to edit. Any abusers should be perma-banned. The three months could limit abusers from re-creating fresh accounts to pollute the wiki.

What constitutes abuse, though? Jeez, good luck guys.

As the game and population grow, so will the wiki, and so will the issues with managing one. So you can always revisit the rules next year. First, just get it up and let the community go nutz

Sparking to other games

Hell yes and make it multilingual

+100500

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I see no problem to allow every paid account to contribute if you state that clear abuse gives a ban.
You see in forum that trolling is happening, but in general "the players" behave in a rather grown up manner and somebody writing something wrong will be corrected.

Official Wiki would be awesome with a team of players from all walks of live keeping it up to date.
If one of the contributes abuses their powers they have their powers removed and it's easy enough to revert changes in most wiki software.

The foom wiki can be edited - I simply went in - registered and started editing - added updates for directional mining charges .... http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/home

(Again a topic, I'd like to have separately discussed in a translator section...)

An official Wiki also needs (active) translators to make sure that the content is the same for each of the currently active used client languages. With that you at least would have one moderator for each client by default next to the DEVs.

As long as I have enough time (RL) at its implementation I'm with you there smile

Übersetzungen gleichen den Frauen: Sind sie treu, so sind sie nicht schön, und sind sie schön, so sind sie nicht treu!
Carl Bertrand

Ausnahmen bestätigen die Regel - in beiden Fällen!

You can open that to everyone,and simple tell if u make good job we will give you few time code for game!

Problem solved,and u have wiki!

How simple is that?

If the developers policy is not changed, the idea is meaningless. Developers refuse to accept any players help. To sign a bunch of agreements and non-disclosure agreements, etc. As if you are helping not fo free, and wana work with them, but without pay. Nobody will agree.

The success of Wikipedia in its freedom.

No, there won't be any special agreements. Apparently a wiki engine has not much room for access granularity: you can either edit or you can't, and that's it.

In light of that we won't be needing any special moderators either, editing will be simply tied to Perpetuum accounts. As with every wiki out there, vandalism can be easily reverted, and wiki-banning can be handed out from us too, if the need would arise.

You can start one with what zortarg has done.

http://www.remedy-inc.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3480

there is also these

http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetuum
http://perpetuum.wikia.com/wiki/Perpetuum_Wiki

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

Duke Nukem wrote:

It's about time!

will you ever release the localisation-override file so we can make custom locas that doesn't need to be managed by Avatar Creations ?

mod-ability has a huge fanbase. and that one would be the by far easiest one for you, as it already exists...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

+ 1

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

So, here it is:

http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com

If you are logged in on the Perpetuum website you will be automatically logged in to the wiki. Your wiki username is always your currently selected Agent's name.

Everyone with an active, non-trial account can edit.

For now we have imported the current game guide, it's linked on the main page. You can build upon these articles, but it's not required at all, since the guide doesn't really have a proper wiki structure.

I'm not really a wiki expert, but for anyone who would like to contribute, my suggestion would be to pick a topic/mechanic/item/feature/guide/etc of which you have a pretty good knowledge, and do an article on it or update a current one. Once we have a solid base of articles we can build a proper main page too.

There are already one or two good unofficial wikis out there, and it would be probably cool if we could integrate some articles from them. I'm not really sure whether you need the consent of the original author for that, since derived works probably fall under our copyright as well, but it's always nice to ask for it, just to make sure.

One of these days I will upload all the original icon files too, so you will be able to use them in the articles.

Questions should be posted in this topic, including clarification or confirmation of game mechanics.

OKAY OKAY, HOLD YOUR HORSES.

I know it's terribly fun to create user pages, but most of you are littering the main wiki with it, and not using the actual User: pages.

Please think of poor Gargaj who will have to clear up the mess.

ok, where do i switch languages ?

i know someone who had already translated the game guide to german for about 90% or so until DEV support vanished.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

This is English only for now. I don't think it would be a good idea to start other languages until much later, when the wiki is already something we can vouch for officially.

25 (edited by Merkle 2013-01-04 00:40:19)

I'm sorry I just love it, but I do hate to tell you this, its probably all ready brought up.

But there is going to be issues with it, as anyone can edit it.

Not a bad thing, but I can already foresee problems.

Especially when you can make a page under your name and have anyone edit it.

http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index.php/User:Merkle

Do I know how to solve this? No, sadly.

Edit: Its still awesome, and I put it here so newer player would see it easier, being General Discussion and all.

Edit 2 : I see it was deleted anyway, good work.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13