Topic: Concrete-layer

Actually, Concrete-layer stay minimum 6 days and a chance to die each 2 days as the plants.

I suggest they become permanent :

- if they're deployed in XX meters of terminal's range

or

- a new building : anti-decay concrete-layer buildings , all the concrete-layer deployed in range of this building become permanent.

Re: Concrete-layer

i would go a steb further:

concrete is already expensive. so make it permanent.

introduce a new item similar in function but as removal tool for concrete. very cheep, and with doube or trible radius as concrete.
also make concrete undestroyable (explotions will not remove them.)

this way pll can get rid of the annoying plants in their bases and also removal of unwanted concrete should be fast and cheep. this should prevent unwanted spam of concrete around unfriendly bases. and even if they do. as long as concrete is expensive and removal is cheep and fast this should be no issue. let them waste their money.

on the other hand it could also be used as terraforming blocker.

Can it be removed with bombs? If so, can we use current or get new special "Building bombs" that will destroy concrete and concrete only?

anti-decay tomb: +1

Yes, concrete should be permanent and require special modules to be removed.

as for concrete disabling terraforming ? no,  TF should destroy concrete tiles moved during the TF process as they can be simply replaced later.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I fear making concrete permanent would impose the same issue we faced in the case of permanent walls. Eventually half of the islands would be covered in concrete because noone would be bothered to clean up the abandoned concrete fields. And this is not just a cosmetic issue either, because concrete prevents plant growth.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I fear making concrete permanent would impose the same issue we faced in the case of permanent walls. Eventually half of the islands would be covered in concrete because noone would be bothered to clean up the abandoned concrete fields. And this is not just a cosmetic issue either, because concrete prevents plant growth.

what if i dont want any plant life on my island >?

DEV Zoom wrote:

well this could be compensated if this will only stay permanent in a certain radius around any buildings. lets say 2000m. everything further away will degenerate as it does atm.

but the current mechanic surely sucks. concrete is a lot money and work to get it out. once its cracking up tlants starting to come up again and you have to do bomb it clean again before you can concrete over again. this is all not worth doing it in the first place. so a change here would be needed.

DEV Zoom wrote:

this is why  i suggest a building , if you remove it or destroy it , concrete layer will loose the permanent statut.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

well this could be compensated if this will only stay permanent in a certain radius around any buildings. lets say 2000m. everything further away will degenerate as it does atm.

Yes that sounds good. Can't tell now whether it's technically possible, but I like the idea.

11 (edited by Goffer 2012-12-14 07:18:26)

An alternative for me would be still decaying concrete but possibility to build it on Gamma yourself or a possibility to repair it.

Goffer wrote:

or a possibility to repair it.

if its not a building that is doing it on its own its way to much of a annoyance to redo it all over and over again.

when you make a concrete plate at your house you dont want to redo it all 3 weeks. especially when it costs money. its ment to be there for qite a while. and yes plants will not grow through it after a few weeks.

its concrete, its ment to be there and to block out all the vegetables. and its ment to be permanent until you want to remove it.

The best would be, if the DEVs would take a look at starcraft.

Nanite Concrete = Zerg Creep

all MPC buildings except mining towers should simply create that self regrowing concrete layer within their connection range, and repair nanobot-concrete walls  every X hours, as long as they are activated

Upkeep for the grow will be permanent AP drain from all structures as long as activated.

movement on concrete could be boosted, especially speed of glider bots.

that way you could even make highways...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Up

+1

+1

Just make it sticky.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

one idea:

you need a special building for not degradable concrete lets say 2000 m radius or 1000m. If dont want to be permanent you just kill that building. And that building dont need energy, or any idea?

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

If we could target a tile and shoot at it (this dev thread) then we should make concrete permanent until shot or killed by explosion.

I'd like it to be a 2x2 tile "structure" though, or even 3x3, not 1x1. Basically the only reason people build wide paths on gamma now is plants. 1 tile width entrances, ramps and mazes are way over powered if done correctly. How? Think about a 1x1 tile beacon box.

Killed by explosion is bad too. How many times you have had to shoot an NPC spawn on ramp and destroy concrete?

I think concrete should be destroyable only by plasma bombs and should last a lot longer/be close to permanent.

I like the -no decay if it's within a certain building radius-.

While we're at it, signs/billboards would be nice. Something like this, although smaller signs to get some more culture into gamma bases would be fine too.

Burial wrote:

Killed by explosion is bad too. How many times you have had to shoot an NPC spawn on ramp and destroy concrete?

Not that often and I shoot a lot of NPCs on gamma. Explosions cause damage. Damaged things need to be replaced. If it was felt that being destroyed by explosions was too much of a PITA then give concrete more HP and allow it to be repaired - like a structure.

I really don't see it being that much of a pain, after all we still have to repair structures that get caught in NPC explosions. I once blew up a spawn that got caught in a pit near Imi North and put a transmitter node into reinforce. I just nipped out afterwards and repaired it.

NPC-s blocking indy bots trying to move on ramp. Going there to kill them. Explosion removing all concrete near them. I can live with concrete naturally dissapearing in weeks, but It's annoying I have to lay new concrete every time NPC happens to die on it. fuuu

All concrete within x distance of structure does not decay.
Introduce a second type of non-decay concrete, called asphalt, to be used only on highways ... And limit the amount of asphalt per island to enough to build 4 roads across the island .... This would limit asphalt spam and make the builder think about where he placed it.

I would also like to throw in an idea about abandoned terraformed areas.

Seeing as there is an ever increasing amount of these areas where things were once built that seem to stay until you re-terraform , I would like to throw the idea out there about the willy wisps that used to regen the ore fields. Can this be re designed to cause an erosion affect on these areas which are no longer in use: EG no more structures attached to the terraformed areas?

Possible or not just throwing it out there.