Topic: Planetside 2 - Fight for freedom!

So have you heard about Planetside 2 & not yet tried it?

What is it you ask? It's a first-person shooter involving 100s if not 1000s of players fighting on the same server / Map. So far the biggest fight ive been in involved 200+ just on the NC side at only 1 base. including the enemy it was 450+

Here are a few videos of some of the action:

MAX Crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lMfj9TZ … playnext=1

For more info about the game & how it works feel free to check out this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth … id=3517999

Also if you roll as the New Conglomerate come join us on Server: Mattherson. GOON recruiting is open! mumble is a requirement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPDZUbb … YmMl2NY-BQ

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Re: Planetside 2 - Fight for freedom!

I guess this is a bit weird, but hey, I'm a gamer too. Or call it industrial espionage yarr

So I tried, and the game really tested me smile

Started off with the Steam controversy - downloaded the game, made a SOE account, only to get from the launcher that I'm supposed to register an EU account at Prosiebenwhatever. So I register one there too, only to get told off by the launcher again that I'm using the wrong launcher. After some forum digging it turned out that Steam only distributes the US client and there is no way to play on Steam with an EU account. After reading the official twitter I found out that you can run it after all, with some little .ini file editing (a player wrote this, the devs advised against doing it of course...).

So then I was in the game at last. I had to create a character and choose a faction, and then it deployed me right into a battle.

I was dead in 5 seconds before I could even say whatthehellamidoing big_smile

Now, I know we don't have it easy over here either, but duuuude. No tutorial or any friendly pointers, absolutely nothing. Granted, this is my first experience with Planetside, maybe they expected that I know at least the basics? I couldn't even figure out what color I am supposed to shoot, green or blue, because both seemed to shoot me. Some minutes later I figured that I was being teamkilled roll Roger that, enemy is red.

Anyway, I still had no idea what I am supposed to do, so just followed the mass of ally-looking people and got to shoot at some real enemy at last. I have never in my life seen so many flying tanks, the game's position calculation/prediction leaves much to be desired to put it mildly smile

Then I had some minor success with the sniper class, but then the ground started to disappear and the client started to lock up or get really slow or something. So I decided to bail for now - not the best first experience smile

I'll probably check back later, they'll hopefully fix the major bugs by then.

3 (edited by Alexander 2012-11-23 09:11:31)

I downloaded the Steam Client. Connected and there was US, EU and AU servers.

I wasn't even aware there was multiple versions available. I played the beta and it went really smoothly, for a beta.
Now it's terrible. Once you get into the game it's okay but there are still people jacking their rate of fire by tweaking settings (Not controlled by the server but the client) and many connection issues due to having a single point of failure in their authentication system.

The US/EU split is awful and I wasn't even aware of it. SOE still can't do anything right. hmm

Worst of all I loved PlanetSide and I really like playing PlanetSide 2. *Sigh*

Bad client performance(even worse than perps), no depth. It's only fun for a few hours.

5 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-11-23 13:57:13)

@ zoom... hey like perpetuum & many MMOs being in an organised group is +9000 time better than solo smile

Yes also as a new player you get thrown into a battle & if u live longer than 15 secs then u r either pro or landed in a zone with no fighting smile

i just finished FCing 60+ guys out of 120 across 2 of the maps. 8+ hours of constant fights the client does have some issues but with a little tweeking of User options.ini file you can get better performance. my client crashes more than normal tho due to lack of ram & still using a athlon II 635 ( yes i so need to upgrade this computer sad )

@ Alex. what does it matter about the US?EU split? im an aussie & am playing on a east coast US server with hardly any lag issues. THAT NEVER HAPPENS in other games lol smile we have goons from all over the world playing on that 1 server with no issues.
Only reason ive had to swap to a AU server is for any down times or for when i just want to be a noob & not have to lead platoons tongue

Oh Zoom you should join me 1 day & have a play with a proper outfit smile

NC FTW

also heres the latest vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Xz88y8prVs

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

6 (edited by Lemon 2012-11-23 16:54:20)

"tweaking stream settings"

But here is a teaser.

http://www.twitch.tv/itssofluffyy/b/342282430

P.S. Same server

I give flying lessons for black mechs O.o
and offer cert farming big_smile

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

wow, zoom, if you didnt mention getting killed right off the batch, i would have though your talking about your perp experience :

Planetside looks like a nice game. Is it guaranteed that you will find a full server when its divided into several shards worldwide?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

8 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-11-24 03:31:14)

Lemon wrote:

"tweaking stream settings"

But here is a teaser.

http://www.twitch.tv/itssofluffyy/b/342282430

P.S. Same server

I give flying lessons for black mechs O.o
and offer cert farming big_smile

dude we need to meet up .. you NC?  im so out of practice doing lib bombing hmm you have NV on that?

Yes i am NC add meh

Krunk

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

update time! big_smile

Yestday was the most awesome / intense fighting on Esamir ive ever seen often we had 3 way battles with all 3 of the server big outfits fighting at the same time in the same place, it was insane. it would have tipped well over 400 just for the Eisa Tech plant alone & we had to fight over that site 5 times over the day.

in many cases the enemy was so entrenched we had to fight them out side the main bases in the mountains going from hill to hill.

heres was some of the action around the place (not sure if this was today or the day b4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYysrEi … mp;list=UL 

also after we took the continent we had a Flash race! (not my footage) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_c_jWR-9rk
i got team killed half way to the end sad F you friendly reaver pilots!

So i got my Reaver & took out a few ppl... revenge best served cold yarr

I'm starting up an account.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

update time! big_smile

Yestday was the most awesome / intense fighting on Esamir ive ever seen often we had 3 way battles with all 3 of the server big outfits fighting at the same time in the same place, it was insane. it would have tipped well over 400 just for the Eisa Tech plant alone & we had to fight over that site 5 times over the day.

in many cases the enemy was so entrenched we had to fight them out side the main bases in the mountains going from hill to hill.

heres was some of the action around the place (not sure if this was today or the day b4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYysrEi … mp;list=UL 

also after we took the continent we had a Flash race! (not my footage) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_c_jWR-9rk
i got team killed half way to the end sad F you friendly reaver pilots!

So i got my Reaver & took out a few ppl... revenge best served cold yarr

I was on last night and it was pretty damn awesome.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Planetside 2 rocks! Playing since beta.

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

i have played for a few hours.
and yea it has some nice points. but on the long run i dont see me there. when i see how few "zerg" points i got and what it takes to get just a little of new weapons, not even mentioned all the upgrades, then it either is pay to win or endless grind. if it were not for the ftp mechanics i could have some fun there. but that way i say gently: thanks, but no thanks.

large scale battlefield online? or is there more to it?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

large scale battlefield online? or is there more to it?

Nothing more really.

RIP PERPETUUM

Me and some corpmates were having a blast last night!

ah finally killed someone lol.

Btw this game crashes more than Perp. tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

Ville wrote:

keep your private life out tongue

Does Planetside have any kind of crafting system? or just some RPG elements to feed on p2win income model?

I died too quickly Anni to look

Hmm...you guys are terrorist NC then....figures.  Obie i knew would go that route however.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

22 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-12-06 14:42:44)

Annihilator wrote:
Ville wrote:

keep your private life out tongue

Does Planetside have any kind of crafting system? or just some RPG elements to feed on p2win income model?

No its a FPSMMO BUT player bult facilities are planned & we have no idea how & what form the construction of that will take. The Devs have also said they want to give the players the ability to build weapons (at a later stage).

Stranger Danger wrote:

Hmm...you guys are terrorist NC then....figures.  Obie i knew would go that route however.

hey i love charging into an enemy sundie with anti tank mines throwing them under & killing it & any one near by smile.
Also A new vid to post.. featuring ME big_smile *darthsidious* tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … faBgAc6Gz4

During the day the footage of this vid was taken i lead 48 crack addicted goons on a  crushing set of victories accross Esamir. F u TR scum! smile

For Vanu, for SCIENCE! NC Scum and TR fascists deserve nothing but death!

In other words, PS2 is a lot of fun. It can seem grindy, but 50 certs per hour can be achieved pretty consistently. As for the $ prices ... double and triple station cash sales are great!

24 (edited by Celebro 2012-12-06 19:05:37)

Just another shooter copy pasted from Half life,  with some sugar and multiplayer added. I'll stick with Perp, failed to find anything better atm. big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

25 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-12-07 04:49:32)

Celebro wrote:

Just another shooter copy pasted from Half life,  with some sugar and multiplayer added. I'll stick with Perp, failed to find anything better atm. big_smile

The Titanic keeps poping into my mind ... ... ...

maybe tongue

But yes this is very battle field "ish" on a large scale. More sand box MMO stuff will be later (tm)