Topic: The manifesto

www.perpetuum-online.com/Media:Manifesto

Never read it so, what happened Devs , this is an awesome manifesto , a vision that comes inline with what i think if   It materialises ,makes an excellent game. I'll take this opportunity to refresh your memory.

Extracts:

we want players to be dazzled by all the things they can do in the game world. We want them to find out new ways of doing things even after playing for a long while. We want them to form alliances, pool their resources and strategize how to use, protect and expand them. We want them to populate an alien planet with huge robots.

The robots in Perpetuum are all made up of three parts: legs, chassis and head. We decided to go with this setup so the robots can be modular - for now players have access to a certain set of predetermined robot setups, but later we intend to open up this system for what we call Hybrid Robots. This will allow players to mix and match the
different types of robot parts we already have in the game and create custom built robots on their own. With named robot parts and new robot tiers in mind the combinations number in the millions, and that’s not counting any equipment.

Keep following this vision, all I can say. smile

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: The manifesto

+1 The hell with what we say, stick close to that and this game will be win.

Really, some great goals and suggestions all in there. 

Just keep the progress slow and steady and you will see the rewards.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

releasing the hybrid system would be the final shot of mercy to game...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

(Well One thing I dissagree with, dont do this at least how the DEV's plan it.  Introduce them just like EVE did, when the game is up and running and they are expensive. )

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

(Well One thing I dissagree with, dont do this at least how the DEV's plan it.  Introduce them just like EVE did, when the game is up and running and they are expensive. )

Hybrid robots should be something players on day 1 should be able to play around with. Millions of combinations needs loads of players to experiment, this should be the standard not the exception. I still don't know how they are going to overcome the 'Frankenstein' aesthetic issue.

RIP PERPETUUM

I disagree, Celebro.

The reason being is that its a good thing to WANT to have nice things, its a even better thing to WORK for nice things.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

I like to see faction bots, or multi faction bots. like a crossbread between blue/yellow needing 6.0 faction in both relation as a requirement or something

millions of combinations is illusionary

we already got so many different modules ingame, but only the highest tier + highest extension + multiple agents per player allow you to make some variations, but by far not as many as you would expect.

the robot kitbashing would be exactly the same.

not only would they need to put up restrictions to prevent min-maxing only combinations, also some mesh related restrictions like gropho head does not fit on a seth due to different placement. Preventing visual glitches with intersecting bodyparts and such + balancing issues, will resolve in a so drastically reduced spectrum of combinations, that the would have been better of with designing actual replacement parts for each robot itself...

thats why i say - if the pushing the release of the hybrid system as it is, it will have a similar result as all the other, first unlimited, features like Walls, Terraforming or station building...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

This needs to wait to be implemented until things are truly tested balanced and everyone is happy sauce.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

It would be fun to play around with but in the end everyone would get find that perfect OP setup and you would not see anything different

That's why you offset it with a high input cost, and a high skill requirement.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

I disagree, Celebro.

The reason being is that its a good thing to WANT to have nice things, its a even better thing to WORK for nice things.

You are assuming Eve's T3 cruisers are going to be the same as hybrid robots. I really hope that's not the case. Why should it be OP and expensive?

RIP PERPETUUM

I would assume as its basically the same thing, I compare them as thats the only way you can do...yes they had 5 mods instead of what the DEV's have said of 3.  You get the idea.

What I do not want is something that is accessable to lower skilled players.

Ok, Ok let me back trace that a little bit.  In EVE they had orginally said they would have cruisers and frigs all T3, the cruisers happened the frigs did not (least to my information have not played in a bit), so one would assume the reason they didn't put frigs in is because of balancing issues with the other frigs in that line.

This is something I would rather see happen in Perp, I would like them to start at a mid line level (Assults, possibly mechs, as mechs basically = cruisers) and then work backwards, so that the newer, NOT new players can enjoy and get a taste of whats really out there.

They have to be pricey as that is basically the only way to balance them, should they be OP?  Only in the eyes of the players at first then counters will come up.

The real trick is putting them into the game without making all of there other SET mechs basically crap, and at a price where they are NOT all over the place everywhere.

EI: High Skilled and Very Pricey, and Hard to get the Mats needed.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

14 (edited by Gremrod 2012-11-01 21:48:43)

Start with light bots and test a balanced system with them and then see how it can be applied to bigger frames. No reason to make everything inter-change-able. Restrict to a frame size.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

15 (edited by Rex Amelius 2012-11-01 23:33:01)

I'd like to see some more details about this hybrid set up from Devs before passing any judgements, comparing to EVE T3, or speculating in general. I wonder if we need hybrids before the game has even begun to introduce more variety in specialized bots. Or are hybrids supposed to become that variety?

EVE had tons of different kinds of ships before introducing its 'hybrid' and Perp still has its basic bots.

Whatever happens please for the love of god introduce something new!

Sparking to other games

What Rex just said is basically true at this point this is all just pure specualation nothing more.

T3 is suppose to be added at the end NOT at the start of a game, adding it now will not be a good thing, infact quite the opposite.

Introduce the specialized bots first.  Make those great and then work on other things.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13