Topic: "Peanuts! Go Bots"---an explanation

Howdy Perpetuum,

Just writing up a little explanation for what I had done here.  Before I left gaming last year, I had come up with idea of having some true "player driven content" quests.  I love holidays, and holiday presents when I play online games.  I think it's great when games have things like that.  I originally wanted to do a Halloween one, because one of my favorite games earlier in my mmo career involved Earth and Beyond.  They gave out the best holiday "presents," rewards, and quest lines.  I miss Westwood Studios a lot to be honest.

Peanuts got tagged into it, all for the plain reason, Charlie Brown's Halloween Special was playing on television.  I brought in Jack the Pumpkin King for some flare and to bridge the ideas I have for a Christmas Event, and so I had a concept.  Read on if you'd like a synopsis of Lucy, Linus, and Rerun van Pelt and their adventures with The Great Pumpkin and the Pumpkin King.

Linus and Rerun have decided they wanted to play Perpetuum Online.  Rerun is Linus' little brother, so was Impatient at having to wait for Linus to log in, so started exploring.

Rerun: "uumm, what's titaral mean?  No, I don't wanna.  I wanna make bots go boom.  Titaral seems boooring."
Pumpkin King:  "Hello player on a Trial, I'm glad I found someone, who's been here a while."
Rerun:  "You talk funny."
Pumpkin King:  "That I do you observant kid, you see I'm brainless, this thing on top is just a lid."
Pumpkin King:  "You see there is a reason for me being here, The Great Pumpkin he who I fear."
Pumpkin King:  "I have this thing I wish to hide, this ICE Crown at my side."
Pumpkin King:  "Take it please and see you run, The Great Pumpkin will ruin our fun."
Rerun:  "Okay, so I just run?  Rerun can run, I'm fast."

A while later, Linus logs into the game.

Linus:  "Finally, left alone long enough to play, now to find out what Rerun's up to."
Linus:  "Hmm, not outside the station where I told him to wait, predictable.  Rerun!!!  Rerun!!!!
Linus:  "Dang, was hoping I'd get some time to wait for The Great Pumpkin.  One more year I"m going to miss."
Linus:  "Well, I guess I'll go take a nap then.  He doesn't seem to want to play anyhow."
Linus picks up his blanket, thumb in mouth, and goes to lay down for a while.

Later, Lucy logs in, and still can't find Rerun, and it was her job to watch him.  That is where we being our forums posts here:  http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … t-pumpkin/

After people came to the realization that someone was up to something, and not nucking futz, the story was able to continue.  Rerun did as the Pumpkin King told him, Lucy and Linus began looking for him.  After a while, when no one would help her, Lucy got aggravated and logged off.  Linus on the other hand, perseveered and finally Guneera gave him some information, that he saw him "Go South."  He was the first to unlock the Event, as he was the first to give Linus any help at all.

As time progressed, Rerun kept messaging garble in the various chats.  While running away, he had passed The Great Pumpkin near Asintec Alpha.  The Great Pumpkin demanded the crown, and was so mean, he damaged Rerun's robot.

That's where we moved on to bobo1994 finally spoke with Rerun enough,  so that his voice comms repaired themselves on its own.  We were well into the event by now, and Rerun and his little Arkhe had made it from ICS Alpha, all the way to Shinjalar.  All the way, he kept trying to message people for help.  So now bobo1994 had offered to help Rerun.

During the course of tracking down Rerun, The Great Pumpkin came online here and there, warning that he was the true king, and Jack was a fake.  He wanted the ICE crown for himself.  This was a "fork" in the story, in which bobo1994 was more interested in helping Rerun, and lying to The Great Pumpkin.  If bobo1994 would have chosen to bring Rerun back to the Great Pumpkin, for his reward, The Great Pumpkin would have taken the ICE Crown and opened fire on bobo1994.  (He would have flagged for PvP, but he was just in an Arkhe, not that scary.)  Since The Great Pumpkin would have had the ICE Crown in his cargo, anyone that killed him and looted his cargo now had a "chance" to receive the ICE, not guaranteed based on the destruction chances of being destroyed, as well as someone else could have looted it.

But bobo1994 was a helpful sort, and decided he'd rather help Rerun get back to his brother.  We didn't crawl our way back, I wasn't mean enough to bobo to do that to him, as he had finished the branch of the story he was on, and I had been performing this roleplay for 4 hours, and was getting rather tired of it, lol.  So we stopped there on Hershfield, it took that long of a time before someone found Rerun, another player who messaged bobo1994 where he was, Capital Punishment in a Kain Mk2.  Now, if Capital would have also decided to help Rerun, instead of just messaging and leaving, he too would have earned the reward.  He however chose to carry on with what he was doing.  Moral of the story:  It's good to help out new players, and Rerun was a trial account.

Day 2:
Now that one of the two forks had been completed, I had to modify my story a little so as someone could try and complete the other branch.  This is where we come to the forum posts:  http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … s-go-bots/

As you can see, Lucy has now got a bit of a crush on bobo1994, for helping her brother.  As she was meandering about in a daze, she happened upon something, an ICE ring.  She knew it must have been something from the day before.

At the same time, the Pumpkin King logged in, searching for his ICE ring.  Rhyming as he does to try to find it.

After a short time, Captain Spaceguy figured out stage one of the story, to tell Lucy that the Pumpkin King was looking for his ring.  This then led to a pretty roleplay discussion, where he figured out Lucy wanted to return the ring to the Pumpkin King herself, rather than give it to him, because she didn't trust Captain Spaceguy, she knew he'd just steal it.  This was a crucial part of the storyline.  If Captain Spaceguy had been rude to her in any way, she would have put him on /block and continued to ignore him.  Luckily however, Captain Spaceguy stayed very friendly to her, even so much as to give her a present, a LWF to help speed her up.

So now Captain Spaceguy and Lucy made their way to the Pumpkin King, from ICS Alpha to Asintec Alpha.  I gave "Spacey" a few more tips and hints than I would have another, because he had told me he was a true new player, had only been playing Perpetuum a few days, and thus still a Trial account.

Well, they made their way to Asintec Alpha, and came into range of seeing the Pumpkin King outside the station.  As they got closer however, The Great Pumpkin logged in.  Just as Lucy was trying to give the Pumpkin King the ICE ring, The Great Pumpkin stole it and began opening fire (flagged for PvP).  So bravely in his Arkhe Mk2, Captain Spaceguy defeated The Great Pumpkin, with help from another player outside the station.

The Great Pumpkin exploded in a ball of fire, regrettably so did the ICE ring. 

Since Captain Spaceguy was such a great sport, and was a new player to the game, I decided to go ahead and give him the reward anyhow.

So Congratulations bobo1994 and Captain Spaceguy for completing my "Peanuts! Go Bots" in game Player Driven event.  I hope you had as great a time with it, as I did writing and performing it.

Stay tuned for future events, and don't forget about my "RIDE the Ring" event, Sunday Nov. 4th. 

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/forum/64/events/

Re: "Peanuts! Go Bots"---an explanation

Rerun didnt want to cyber with me so i stopped chatting with him. Pretty standard PM rules imo.

Re: "Peanuts! Go Bots"---an explanation

lol, nice Cappy