Topic: Seige Bots: a suggestion post

Creation bots:  Bots whos sole purpose is to terraform. Big and slow and vulnerable.

Land Destruction bots: 

Bots whos sole purpose is to destroy terraformed land.  Very slow and large, high defenses against player attacks but vulnerable to turret and base defenses.  Im thinking like a bigass drill bot with lots of armor.  Has the ability to cut a small hole in a terraformed wall, doesnt need to be fast with it.  If successful in breaching the wall will create a choke point from which enemy players can enter the base.  Think medieval battering rams.

Structure Destruction Bots:  Bots whos sole purpose is to destroy turrets and buildings.  Think catapults but robot style.  Would have to be ranged...im thinking more like robot artillery or large missile launchers.  Would have to set up before firing which would take time.  Large and slow, must go through a long set up process before shooting and a long take down process before moving.  Vulnerable to everything.

Structure creation/repair bots:  Big slow and vulnerable.  They just build structures and repair them.

The whole purpose of this suggestion is to focus back on robots and players rather than turret walls and 8hr terraforming so we can siege a base tactics. However creating an attacking siege force should be risky (expensive) as well as slow and obvious.  Turrets might have to be modified to create longer range but only good against siege bots, as well as turrets to stop the normal bots.  My thoughts are to have the siege bots be very expensive where the corporation would have to work to create them, and then have to carefully choose where to use them, not a bot that can be spam produced and then swarm an enemy base.  With the artillery bots i was thinking more like mobile structure with a large gun, or an ICBM like missile launcher thats needs to be set up, go through a fueling process ect.  It would almost be like setting up a temporary attack base close to the enemy base.

Obviously this is all a loose suggestion, and something that would take time in working out the details.  I just feel that the current base and base destruction process is long tedious and boring, and after all that its usually not worth doing given the time involved.  With seige bots it might make it a bit more entertaining and game like.  I would also suggest drastically reducing the cost/time building structures (construction bot?).  More bases is better imo, especially if your going to have a series of bots meant to destroy them.

Possibly make them all gliders as its lame to have an EP category for one bot as currently.  I dont want it to turn into something where its pointless to have a base because its going to be so easy to wreck it, i just want it to be more enjoyable to take and defend a base. Making bases relatively easy to make would a good start, easy to make but perhaps hard to make good if that makes sense

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Re: Seige Bots: a suggestion post

multi tile bots ... I do wants sad

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I agree.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

multi tile bots ... I do wants sad

Scarab ? tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

I dont thinks its necessary to actually make new bots for this, but just let the mods you fit have negative sides as well, just like the LWFs do (ie. demobbing goes up, speed too)

Also, gargs are TF bots, by the way.

But for a deTF bot, you could have a "mass driver", that either shoots pieces of land (ie. at the target, where the projectile lands, land gets raised) or simply an artillery like mod; important is that both affect your speed and armour in a way so youre quite vulnerable.

Seraph, GIEF NAO!!

I think they need to have a hard focus on Improving the New Member Experience. All these Idea's are all well and good for the People who are already here for Perp, but the new Push needs to be increasing the Player-Base.

8 (edited by Simmy 2012-09-17 19:26:21)

I think there were discussions a while back, to introduce combat gliders, or was in the works not sure.

Good OP +1

Celebro's body guard

Just want to restate, the goal isnt to make it easy to wreck extremely expensive and difficult to make bases.  Building should be cheap and i think with construction bots would be a bit less painful (once the bot is built ofc)

I want to see lots of bases, and sieges that include lots of combat bots fighting along with a few massive and expensive siege bots....something that would require equal or more investment as the base they are sieging, if they really intend on destroying it.

And yeah...there should be more motive to building a base than there currently is...it just seems like a way people can create safe zones on pvp islands.  I don't really agree with the current ability to terraform a near implementable path across the whole island that allows any of the base owners tons of time to safe log, while blocking access from any other approach...on the whole island...

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:

I want to see lots of bases, and sieges that include lots of combat bots fighting along with a few massive and expensive siege bots....something that would require equal or more investment as the base they are sieging, if they really intend on destroying it.

Some of these gamma bases have taken months to design and construct, any implemented siege mechanics will need to be carefully done. If you want balance as you say understand that even with newly implemented siege systems it will still take weeks if not months to take down a Gamma Base that has any sort of effort behind its construction and defense.

I welcome new bots of all types but I would question siege bots that could simply out range and LOS turrets with ease.

What ever siege systems they eventually implement i think needs to be aware of TF and its restrictions. Drill bots and alike will be exploited massively.

@ Devs is there any progress on this front as far as robot design or capability ?

I would like to see siege systems that took a long time to activate so even if the siege bot could LOS turrets and out range them the weapon cycle time would be on the scale of minutes (10-20) so a defended base could not have its defenses taken out over night

just some thoughts ......

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

siege equip only makes sense, if the buildings are hardly destructible without it.

as it is, siege equip makes as much sense as light bots... theres simply no role for it when DPS = DPS, no matter the source, and just more = better.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tux wrote:

Some of these gamma bases have taken months to design and construct, any implemented siege mechanics will need to be carefully done. If you want balance as you say understand that even with newly implemented siege systems it will still take weeks if not months to take down a Gamma Base that has any sort of effort behind its construction and defense.

I welcome new bots of all types...

If Steam really takes off and we get a real game going with serious population, I have no doubt that Gamma and PBS will see changes. A growing game will introduce new bots and mechanics that could likely render many current Terraform and Base designs less useful or even obsolete. Plus, who knows what the Devs will buff and nerf along the way.

The development of a good fun game should not ever be stifled by the existing designs of a few base owners. Be prepared for major disappointment and the loss of significant man hours. And I believe that those who are attempting to wall there entire islands into risk-free PVE will suffer the most when change comes to town.

Not that I'm accusing you of that Tux. I've not been to your island...

Sparking to other games

I hope you dont hold to many assets within your destructible bases.

with only scarabs availiable, it will take days to evacuate an outpost that accumulated stuff for weeks. I think CIR's evac took a week or so...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

And other thing, as population increases, some nicely terraformed Islands may be the first targets of larger growing groups. I'd rather sit around watching someone terraform my base for me wink

Sparking to other games

Annihilator wrote:

siege equip only makes sense, if the buildings are hardly destructible without it.

as it is, siege equip makes as much sense as light bots... theres simply no role for it when DPS = DPS, no matter the source, and just more = better.

I envision a nia where every bot has a role!

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

All of this is well and good.  but the game doesn't need more bots right now.  It needs content for Carebears!  PVE, etc. etc.

Moar carebears = more better for the game!

New Bots in 2013 -   The rest of 2012 has got to be for the Alpha folks!

Deathmonkey wrote:

All of this is well and good.  but the game doesn't need more bots right now.  It needs content for Carebears!  PVE, etc. etc.

+1

Celebro's body guard

Deathmonkey wrote:

Population growth and new player retention is most important, and that includes PvE. This does not mean everyone has to stop discussing other issues.

Sparking to other games

Okay - fair enough.   I like to keep my Devs focused.  big_smile    I don't want them thinking about Siege bots yet.   

I know you guys are reading this -  get back to coding!

Rex Amelius wrote:
Tux wrote:

I welcome new bots of all types...

If Steam really takes off and we get a real game going with serious population, I have no doubt that Gamma and PBS will see changes. A growing game will introduce new bots and mechanics that could likely render many current Terraform and Base designs less useful or even obsolete. Plus, who knows what the Devs will buff and nerf along the way.

The development of a good fun game should not ever be stifled by the existing designs of a few base owners. Be prepared for major disappointment and the loss of significant man hours. And I believe that those who are attempting to wall there entire islands into risk-free PVE will suffer the most when change comes to town.

Not that I'm accusing you of that Tux. I've not been to your island...

I welcome any changes that produced a larger population....

if we had the population to support it we would not need to make such elaborate TF designs.

if population supported it we all could lay down a terminal with no walls and just have fun because there would be the population to attack and defend it properly.

I would be thrilled if the population was that high !!!

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

well the facts for what the devs are planning is stated here (tho the time frame is out the window): http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … -proposal/

after this i guess it was more alpha stuffs.... which is needed. Gamma  as it stands has enough stuff to kep us happy for a while smile imo

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue