Topic: The lag is unbearable

I am experiencing very high lag, at off-peak times too now. It is so bad, that if I set the robot in motion in a straight line, 9 times out of 10, I don't move past 500 meters.

Please fix.

Re: The lag is unbearable

Where are you located?

3 (edited by Fargon Kusanagi 2010-12-08 23:56:49)

I am experiencing the same, on and off.

Eastern US. The address in my profile is correct. Please let me know if you need me to post the city here.

No thanks, we are looking into the issue, many players have problems as it seems.

There is no autorun. Only autostop.

Its been growing ever worse. I'm in the western US.  A couple of days after launch it was playable. Now, its grown to the point that its just an open invitation to lose a bot.  I can deal with some lag, but that coupled with repeated, random disconnections in this type of game makes it unplayable.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Wraithbane wrote:

Its been growing ever worse. I'm in the western US.  A couple of days after launch it was playable. Now, its grown to the point that its just an open invitation to lose a bot.  I can deal with some lag, but that coupled with repeated, random disconnections in this type of game makes it unplayable.

yeah exactly, I started to notice this "auto-stop" thing about 2-3 days after release. Your bot just stops if it on auto-follow and if you drive it yourself by pressing W you hop ahead big chunks. This game is hard on PvP and having ANY lag issues in PvP centered game = death for a game.

@Zoom:
I've been on a longer mining session. During that time, my FPS dropped down to 4 FPS. Back in the Terminal I had some 27 FPS. When I left the Terminal with my Sequer to empty my field container, I had some 15 FPS and just before returning to the Terminal it has dropped to 8 FPS. Funny thing is: during that time, LAG has constantly been around 80 ms.
Hope it helps to locate the problem or give a hint for it's solution.

auster: I'm not sure what you're getting at, graphics performance/FPS has nothing to do with network lag.

On another note, it seems that today's patch has helped a lot regarding network lag.

11 (edited by auster 2010-12-10 00:11:52)

LAG has been constant for me, thus it doesn't seem have the slow down effect. So it shouldn't matter that much in which country I live.

What I wanted to point out is that whatever slows down the FPS seems to influence the overall performance. And in addition to that the FPS rate at the Terminal has been high (~15, after leaving the Terminal) although there have been lots of people. But the FPS dropped to a ridiculously low rate (~4) when nothing really happened in my vicinity.

EDIT: And it is not that the FPS drop from one moment to another. It drops slowly.

Yes, FPS drop over time on the terrain is a known issue. But this is still offtopic here smile

If you are just running courier missions, or ore, or something, try turning off NPCs and Agents in the Landmark settings. Seems to improve the situation a lot.

I live in the PST (-8 GMT) time zone and the lag is extremely high on the weekends. I realize that it's probably due to more people being online. Once it gets into the evening hours and the EU TZ is sleeping the lag goes away.

Is anyone else  in the PST time zone experiencing the lag monster on the weekends like me? Are the Dev's aware of it? It makes the game relatively unplayable during the hours of massive lag sad

15 (edited by Kruachan 2010-12-13 17:23:54)

Yesterday (Sunday 12-Dec) I has been warped back in the same location 5 or 6 times.
I was in an non busy area (between the teleporter and the outpost with refinery II).
While I was safely exiting I saw that my icon was located in the upper left corner of the map.
When I came back everything was ok.

Later in the night a similar issue happened while I was jammed (my screen perma blurred) and several npcs were shooting in my weakness (kinetic vs. pelistal).
I was running to de-aggro them but was warped back and re-aggroed etc ...
I tried to reach the teleporter that was quite close better never reached it.
When the armor repairer had eaten most of the accumulator energy, I had to do an emergency exit (safe exit is not allowed in combat mode).

Hopefully when I came back my Castel was not broken tongue

This seems to be more a positioning issue than a lag issue right ?

PS: I live in western Europe GMT+1

Those who are having lag issues post your computer's specs and your internet speed.  I have a fairly out-dated computer by today's standards (bottleneck = 8800 GTS 320mb) but a fast internet connection (20/15 Mbps) and have very little issue with lag. 

Also if you experienced lag on Sunday it may have been because of a big fleet battle on Beta's.  I know in Eve if too many people were fighting in one place it could effect the entire game and we've even managed to crash the servers in Eve before.  I was in the battle on Sunday and yes it was laggy; but no rubber-banding for me at all, just minor module delay.

I dont wanna compare to EVE, but if 4 EVE clients runs with zero lag and 1 Perpetuum is totally unplayable due to lag, then the fault does not lie with my PC or internet connection.

I get lag spikes at odd times of the day\night, I tested a few times by logging in between timezone prime times.  Sometimes I can play, but lately it's so bad I can't travel, nevermind fight.

There's a lot to be fixed in this game, as long as the devs are aware and on top of it, I'm happy to wait a few months before resubbing.

18 (edited by Alexander 2010-12-20 07:46:04)

I can counter that by saying that I can't run EVE on my computer but I can run two perpetuum clients just fine.

Also, to help the topic. There are two kinds of lag. Most people confuse graphical and client lag with server and connection lag. It would be nice to be able to see process time compared with connection lag.. Oh wait.. We already can in the profiler! It shows that the process time for most commands is almost nothing. Most lag spikes are due to the terrible routes in and out of Hungary. This will never be fixed unless the server moves to a more universally stable location.

Your connection and the routes your connection take cannon be controlled by the developers. Your computer may be able run the client but your connection simple isn't able to handle the awful route. Naming "Ping" as "Lag" has really not helped..

Open the in-game console with whichever key it is bound to and type "showfps 2" (This should be above 25 at all times if you want to be able to see the game smoothly. around 60 to 75 is the usually if V-Synced). If your FPS is awful then your computer is at fault.

Then type into the console "openprofiler" and go to the network tab. You'll expect to see a nice steady graph. If the red line is barely moving off 0 and the white line is all over the place it is your connection to the server which is something that is very hard for anyone to easily control. Anyone outside Europe will struggle at the moment and anyone with a high packet loss connection will not be able to play. A stable connection and a nice even graph while moving around means you're probably able to play. The graph will only update if you move, active modules or do anything that sends a packet to the game server.

This can be worked around in the client and I would hope the Devs are making every effort to keep you and the server connected but it isn't as easy as it sounds.

I hope some of this helped.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Most lag spikes are due to the terrible routes in and out of Hungary. This will never be fixed unless the server moves to a more universally stable location ...

This make sense to me, I am in New Zealand, so nowhere near Europe.  I know another person in my city that experience the same lag spikes, at the same times as me.

The EVE servers are of course situated in London so I guess the route from my country to London will be different than to Hungary (parts of it ofc).

It's not graphic lag either, i tried every combination possible and it made absolutely no difference, grpahics on or off, lag stayed the same.

I don't want to say "fix it or I cancel my subs" but at the moment I can't even travel to my destination, nevermind the other tasks.  So for me the game is unplayable and I think it's best to cancel and wait for them to get this problem sorted, and if they don't, then I only wasted $20.

Real shame tho, seemed like an awesome game.

For the past few days, it has become impossible for me to play. I get NA status for a few hours and I can't even move to a teleporter properly. The game was playable for me until Sunday, wonder what was changed? I'm situated in Singapore.

The only times i can play are off-peak, if it gets anywhere near on peak then I get N/A all the time and lag out, also get freq game disconnects (internet still active)

22 (edited by sacen 2010-12-28 03:42:35)

Hi Prepetuum Dev team.

I'm also from New Zealand and having the same lag issue, auto-stop disconnects and crash.

It's good concept game, however not sure how many players your server can handle, 10k ? Eve can gose up to 50k 60k, although massive lag with allies fights.

But Prepetuum I lag out even alone killing npc its a joke? I got killed once by lagged out and I spoke to a GM in game. He told me they could't my lost bot log anywhere and I said but I did lost my bot, I just don't know what else I can say to convinces him. It's just ridiculous you can't find the log in your system, ok thats fine its only a mark II noob bot, what if its an expensive 2, 5, 10 mils bot ?

Also the stupid 2800 extension points to remove your character what a dumb idea. I just want to reset my account as instructed. I never have issue with any other mmo removing a toon or account. I don't have any extension points at the time and I have 2 characters so I have to wait 4 days to remove both toons. It's wasting my time and money, for God seek just let me remove my character and let me reset my account...!!!!!

Please do something Dev Team

Sac.

The lag you're experiencing is not because of our servers, but due to network issues. It's pretty easy to confirm this yourself too: it's only a server problem when everyone lags, not just a few people.

Mancs wrote a post that might help far away players like you:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … r-from-us/

Any kiwis out there that can get a better connection with a VPN tunnel, please let me know how.  Mine is twice as slow with AnchorFree, obviously not a solution for NZ sad

With or with out VPN, Im getting 350 to 600 sometime  jumps up to 1K, However it seems to be a little better then early this week. No more N/A, however using AnchorFree don't make any differences. Maybe consider moving the server to somewhere else ?

Maybe NZ internet just slow.

I lagged out and got blown up again this time they found the log. So I got my bot and items back.

Sac