1 (edited by Burial 2012-03-29 20:00:45)

Topic: Equipment insurance

Was wondering what do people here think about enhanced insurance. All my fittings on mechs are way more expensive then the mechs themselves so would be nice to have ability to insure these too, even if the payout is smaller and the insurance lasts less.

2 (edited by Gremrod 2012-03-29 20:58:47)

Re: Equipment insurance

Burial wrote:

Was wondering what do people here think about enhanced insurance. All my fittings on mechs are way more expensive then the mechs themselves so would be nice to have ability to insure these too, even if the payout is smaller and the insurance lasts less.

Yeah that is a big problem if the equipment costs a lot more then the frame your placing them on.

Not sure if the fix would be module insurance. This also DOESN"T mean the mechs and bots should be harder to manufacture either.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

i think i have a topic about that already somewhere...

the great response was "play another game, carebeaer"...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I actually would love to have a way to insure pretty much any item, from bots to resources and so on and I am not a carebear. big_smile

it would be complicated/time consuming insuring modules individually; but it would have to be by 'each' module or you would have to adjust the botwise insurance amount each time a module was added or removed. And that would get irritating to have to accept or decline new insurance everytime you swap out a module.

The back end would have to scrape the market data on each module, as it does for the robots, to determine a dynamic replacement value.

The player could potentially be managing insurance on 100's (if not 1000's) of modules.

You could, in theory, limit insurance to T4 modules only to reduce that management.

The 'payout' would be, just like the bots, much less then the market costs. And the ultimate question is if managing insurance on modules would be worth the payback.

The 'final' hurdle, is simply that you can farm modules and repair them, you can't do that with bots. So, a possible 'scam' would be getting t4 drops off 5th stars, repairing them for less then the insurance payout, then putting them on light bots (or cheap mechs) and blowing them up for profit.

Would be a nice idea but the amount of ways this can be abused is daunting to make it work. I personally don't like the insurance system as is, simply due it being a NIC injection into the economy coming out of thin air.  Though I would like some way players can create their own insurance they can sell to other players with the help of some kind of ingame mechanic. Would there be some way how to accomplish that?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Would be a nice idea but the amount of ways this can be abused is daunting to make it work. I personally don't like the insurance system as is, simply due it being a NIC injection into the economy coming out of thin air.  Though I would like some way players can create their own insurance they can sell to other players with the help of some kind of ingame mechanic. Would there be some way how to accomplish that?

1) Tell everyone that M2S is now also insurance corporation
2) Make ppl to trust you somehow
3) Make a contract via ingame mail
4) ????
5) INSURANCE!!!!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

8 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-30 06:13:30)

The only reason people use insurance is for suicide missions which is basically insurance fraud in itself lol

I would prefer the devs implement an anti insurance fraud mechanic, limiting the number of payouts and reducing payouts from newly instated policies (24 hours).

Insurance fraud would still be possible, but it would take a whole lot more effort this way and bring a much lesser return.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

+1

I would accept if bot equipment could not be changed without loosing insurance, but could also see benefits in a system of slot wise insurance

@Sundial:
Actually there are several levels of suicide mission.
If you go solo looking for trouble it is another kind of suicide, than try mining epitron on island you don't control.
Or try to mine in NPC spot with some fighters that should handle the spot (one disconnect on fighter and you loose two bots but would not get your miner replaced).

For the later two I would like to see insurance as it is no fraud.

T1 PVP is cheap enough (and still efficient enough).
If you make all PVP cheap by the means of complete insurance, it will remove any value from the equipment. The only value remaining will be the number of people (aka blob size).

Mark Zima wrote:

T1 PVP is cheap enough (and still efficient enough).
If you make all PVP cheap by the means of complete insurance, it will remove any value from the equipment....

thats because the market is filled with equip, that noone has to build, right?
because with *** of NIC i can equip every robot i lose...

and well, the

Mark Zima wrote:

...The only value remaining will be the number of people (aka blob size).

Whats the difference to now? Do you want to tell me that you can survive with your t1 fit artemis mk1 vs. a single T4 fit mech of the same age? You neither have the range, the speed or the hitpoints to do anything alone.

But this doesnt matter anway, since the server population is already dead down to where you get your desired non-blob combat. With the game beeing hardcore (grind) is sure no reason why we have very bad new player retention.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Just an idea from the top of my head:
How about when your robot gets destroyed and you respawn at the terminal, you get an option to salvage your destroyed modules (ie. those which didn't drop as loot) for a certain price.

...probably a bad idea since it would affect industry quite a bit, nevermind smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

How about when your robot gets destroyed and you respawn at the terminal, you get an option to salvage your destroyed modules (ie. those which didn't drop as loot) for a certain price.

...probably a bad idea since it would affect industry quite a bit, nevermind smile

Yeah, that´s basically a bad idea if you want to stay with the "player driven economy" smile

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

Yeah the modules that are dropped are already enough Zoom.

Why not have insurance how it works in real life? Every time you die/have an accident your payments go up... The longer you go with none your payments go down. If you are being reckless insurance should cost alot of money. If you rarely die, you have a low deductible and payments but it is there for you when you need it.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Better to salvage remains of the bot - for materials, components and maybe cortex - thats OT ofc, but thats an additional Something-To-Do.

Or even no, add a chance to get into "damaged' state after you blowed. At that state you keep being where you was killed, with limited visibility tho, unable to move and do something. Then with special bot/module/both of them you can be "resurrected', at least to a critical state - that may make insurance not needed at all.

Or add the both ideas together.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

16 (edited by Annihilator 2012-03-31 10:10:15)

I think its time for DEV Alf's dream to implement individual component damage.

A bit more like Mechwarrior and hell, a boosted self-repair ability. Let to much damage blow of a module that you cannot repair on field, but make your robot survive. And let us insure the modules.

Module insurance fraud - its a matter of how much its payout is...

and that npc's drop standard equip in masses is miss-conception anyway...

Annihilator wrote:

I think its time for DEV Alf's dream to implement individual component damage.

A bit more like Mechwarrior and hell, a boosted self-repair ability. Let to much damage blow of a module that you cannot repair on field, but make your robot survive. And let us insure the modules.

and that npc's drop standard equip in masses is miss-conception anyway...

Oh my god that would be awesome be able to collect pieces of chasis in order to build robots from players only and not npcs.  I used to love salvaging bots in mech warrior, so you would have to accurately try to shoot specifically for a leg or the cockpit in order to salvage that robot.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

18 (edited by Burial 2012-09-16 22:06:20)

Item insurance seriously needs to be thought about. Currently a mech hull itself is 2.7m while a single gun could cost around 4m. Guns and everything combined can easily reach 10x mech price..

Why can't we insure specific items? Lets say you insure something and whenever the item gets destroyed while being either in use or in the cargo, insurance is collected.

Wouldn't that inflation much?

Depends really on the amounts I think.

Burial wrote:

Depends really on the amounts I think.

The biggest problem that I see is your not comparing apples to apples.

Fit out a Mk1 kain with T2 gear, I highly doubt it will be in the range of what your suggesting.

Now upgrade to a Mk2 Kain with T4 gear and then compare those with each other. 

I think you will see a better comparison.

The biggest problem that I see is a lot of people wish to see everything that is currently in the game as the end all and be all of the game.  Mechs and Heavys being the biggest thing that will ever be used for PVP, I personally look at mechs as nothing more then a cruiser size hull, and a heavy mech as nothing more then a battle cruiser.  (The Mk2 variants being there respective T2 variations.)

Change how you look at a few things and your see how everything should fit into place, this may or may not be how the Dev's intended for it to be, but its how I look at it.

Do I think that some mods are overpriced a bit, no, there is a bit of balancing that is required until you have a solid base for the game.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

no

Can't say I agree with this. Thing that is good about Perp, as with Eve, is a mistake and loss, is something you want to try and avoid, and might even pay for if it does happen. If you could Insure your Bot, and everything that is fitted, then its kinda like playing any other MMO, where you can just run in and key mash without a care in the world if you live or die.

Not sure if a Corporation can actually Insure Bots aswell, but if they can, then this would definately be a bad idea. Corp PvP Gangs would have no meaning, cause the only damage that could be done, is a hassle of buying more Bots and Modules with the money they got back from the Insurance.

Solution: Don't die, be more Careful. If you do, then shrug it off cause atleast you did your best.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Equipment insurance: yes.
Salvage in terminal: no.
Salvage in a field: yes big_smile
Salvage robots, salvage modules, salvage extensions:
big+1
To make it different from eve, i propose that robots, after dead, will drop not can but "wreck"+"can". "Wrek"will have to cool down 1 hour, be salvagable for 1 hour and after it will be like "melted" into a can with components.

Don't fit wat you cant afford to replace.

If they put Insurance on Modules, then they might aswell change it so when you die, you don't lose your Bot, your Modules only take a slight Durability loss, and, you just respawn back at the Terminal, Bot, Modules, and all.