1 (edited by Hunter 2012-08-30 04:05:55)

Topic: Perpetuum and Linux.

Hello everyone. Recently i understood that my WinXP is too old. I have 64-bit computer, but WinXP - 32... Also i could not to add more RAM than ~3 GB. The time is came. Of course i had faced with the problem of choise. Yes gentlemens. We have choise. And my choise - free Linux (ubuntu).
Current versions of linux are very functional. Also it has very good perfomance. But there are problem compatibility. Perpetuum - windows application working via Direct3D. As we know Linux - openGL system.
On the main web-page recommends to use Crossover for launch. This is commercial product cost ~50$. Well i can say it's works... You can pay money if you willing to accept the Perpetuum without avatars.
But we still have choise. We can get fully functional perpetuum without investing of money (except subscription). Crossover - is a stolen Wine's application with some crutches.
Who do not want to pay and have enough life head - use the following link:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html

I replaced almost all functions of my old Windows XP. More than i have got more stability, performance and safety. Thank you Linux again! smile

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Re: Perpetuum and Linux.

I too have had sucess running perp uner Linux. So far using just wine v1.4 and Mint 13 (Ubuntu based). I also got it running under Scientific Linux 6.3 (Redhat) but had sound issues with Teamspeak. Had the same issues in Mint but got them sorted so will go back to Sci Nix now and see if I can get that working as well.

I have always wanted to try Mint or Ubuntu out.. Got a free HDD sitting here so might give it a go.

Linux is good for people who can live with bad performance, bugs, crashes in games. Oh yeah, let's not forget half-assed drivers.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE linux, but if you mainly use your computer to play games and troll forums you're better off with Windows.

Jasdemi wrote:

Linux is good for people who can live with bad performance, bugs, crashes in games. Oh yeah, let's not forget half-assed drivers.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE linux, but if you mainly use your computer to play games and troll forums you're better off with Windows.

Thanks for news Jas. Never knew about "bad Linux perfomance"... Sadly  i can't feel any bugs or something else... sad Apparently you talking about another universe...

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Jasdemi wrote:

If you just play a few games that work great under WINE and can get good drivers to support your hardware (ATI is not good) there is not need for MS$. Even better for trolling too. big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM