1 (edited by mqx 2012-09-04 13:24:37)

Topic: Explosion Induced Lag

As far as Ive seen, this only happens on beta and gamma. Explosions (bots, teleports, etc.) seem to consistently cause lag spikes at the moment. The length of the spike seems to be correlated to the number of plants (or other destructible equipment) that are in the area. Also, the first explosion on an island seems to cause the biggest lag.

Case in point, i destroyed a teleport on beta yesterday, and there were a few plants in the way too. It caused a good 30 seconds of lag, in which my client didnt react at all. Subsequent explosions caused lag too, but unresponsiveness was down to 5 seconds for the second explosion, and almost nothing for the third.

Re: Explosion Induced Lag

confirmed

Farming npcs cause this too and has for a good while now ~3 monthes.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

This might be related to where harvesting plants also causes spikes. Although that seems to be client-related.

Yep, we did beacons the other day and severe lag occurred when we spawned more than two beacons at the same time.

i think its been reportet since PTS - the "death" animation of multiple plants when terraforming was always causing huge lag spikes.

i guess it has to do with several bandwidth heavy things happening at the very same moment:

1. death animation of plants loaded into memory from HD
2. update of passable terrain
3. update of harvest-cycles of harvestable plants, which is still working on the old "resource" mechanics.
4. some plants got a very detailed death animation (eg. the big mushrooms)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Devs, can we get a comment on this?

I'm sorry I can't really put your original post together. Exploding teleports...? Do you mean bombs perhaps?

as the first explosions on an island typically cause bigger lags than subsequent explosions, we started blowing up teleports to cause those initial explosion (hoping that the lag would reduce a bit for when started blowing up actual robots).

I see. Well if this has anything to do with AoE damage then I don't think that would help as the explosion radius of a teleport is pretty small afaik.

Our best guess currently is that this happens due to AoE damage calculation or the plant layer update, perhaps the combination of these. More testing is necessary.

11 (edited by bleu 2012-09-10 19:21:40)

Also get extreme lag spikes when killing bots on gamma seems to be worse for observers then for overlord mechs which might be due to explosion size
  And right after undocking there is a lag spike untell you start moving

bleu wrote:

And right after undocking there is a lag spike untell you start moving

i would tell, that one is because the client first loads the visible area around coordinates 0,0 of that gamma island, and then teleports you to the location around the terminal.

the reason for that theory is, that until you undock at least once, your own position on the map is the top left corner of the island instance, and that only happens on gamma.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear