Topic: The patch... And the lag WTF!?!@

Ever since the latest patch has been deployed lag is terrible,  undocking takes a hella long time now, Harvesting plants is a new game in itself (try not to kill it game).  Before patch no lag, after patch lag all the time and then the random 16000 ms lag spikes here and there. Devs whats up with this, and are you going to fix this anytime soon.

Re: The patch... And the lag WTF!?!@

where?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Ion Halo 2012-08-29 03:07:49)

I get the same things, take for ever to login now, and deploy to terrian and it doesn't matter what island I am on and I also crash 50% of the time if I try to open the map....just a little crazy

summary of issues.

1. Module lag.
2. login process takes for ever.
3. crashing opening map.
4. contenues lose of connection when deploying to terrian...sometimes take 4-5 times for you get in.
5. rebounding when going somewhere is great too.

Much needed improvements.

lol

Anhilator you may be one of the lucky ones. Most people i talk to have reported massive lag, to the point of unplayable.  They did something with the patch or something in the backround to drive lag way up for a lot of us. I know some of you reading this have not gotten any more lag, but most of us have. So the game is really unplayabe most of the time with lag ranging from 600-900 with spikes of 16k or the dreaded N/A. Im using the same computer that had no lag before so something was done by the devs to try to improve something but it had an adverse affect on something else and i wanted to bring it up so they can fix it fast.

5 (edited by Razuki 2012-08-29 03:09:43)

unplayable? Everything looks perfect and fine here..

The patches have been very smooth and I see no massive network lag besides my obviously fps from laptop and my normal 300 ping due to my distance.

Might have something to due with your client? The gbf files tend to screw up sometimes though I have no idea of any network problem caused by those. At most, its the routing.

Have you noted the location of those other players that are having the same problems? Are they all from a focus point in the gobal network or just spread out?

The others users who are having the same prob are spread out all over the place in usa, im east coase and i know of 4 others on west coast.

I'm from east coast and getting the lag as well every since the patch.

Before the patch 150ms, very stable connections. After patch 300+ms with occasional 17000 spikes and disconnects.

I am not sure if it effects you guys or not but there have been a number of core switches/routes dying in the EU over the last week or so. The issue so far as been intermittent and doesn't sound quite the same but it would answer why there is a sudden change.

Trace the route of your connection when it happens and see where the delay is. If the packets aren't being delayed anywhere then it could be the receiving server but there are still other options.

sorry for the short question -

but since not EVERYONE is affected, a bit more information would have been usefull. And the where was mostly meant "where ingame"

since i'm at Tellesis terminal inbetween all those NAP-NPCs dont get any major (new) lagspikes at all...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Alexander might be right, as there is nothing we changed in the patch that would affect network traffic.

I'd recommend doing some tests with http://pingplotter.com/, maybe some pattern will emerge.

I'm in the UK and whilst I've heard loud grumblings from the corps US contingent I've been consistently at the usual 47ms.

12 (edited by Tux 2012-08-29 16:13:02)

I tested what zoom asked for and my lag issue is with the ISP in Hungary
is where I have Issues
as soon as I hit these IP addresses I have huge packet loss ~ 500+ms

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I had some 200 ms spikes yesterday and this morning started at around 100 ms latency, but this afternoon it's been the usual steady 30-40 ms.

14 (edited by Aye Pod 2012-08-29 17:33:48)

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 … ea282f.png

If this doesnt illustrate a problem with lag then I dont know what will. At this point the game is unplayable for me. It started when this last patch dropped. This wasnt a spike in lag for a brief second. This client had this lag for about 10m. Oddly enough it did not disconnect. My lag is pretty constant accross Alpha2 (Hersh), Beta (Norhoop), and Gamma (Davis Barrier). I have ping plotter results.

Aye Pod wrote:

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 … ea282f.png

If this doesnt illustrate a problem with lag then I dont know what will. At this point the game is unplayable for me. It started when this last patch dropped. This wasnt a spike in lag for a brief second. This client had this lag for about 10m. Oddly enough it did not disconnect. My lag is pretty constant accross Alpha2 (Hersh), Beta (Norhoop), and Gamma (Davis Barrier). I have ping plotter results.

Hmm i wonder what was said in chat that was so top secret....

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Since several month I experience sometimes strange lag spikes and it seemed to me, that my ISP experiences some traffic shaping in a part of the network I believe to be property of German Telecom. This issue is especially during European main time (19:00-21:00 CEST), but not limited to.

Today I see an additional effect, the routing seems to be complete different, than normal.
But still a lot variance in ping.
With Pingplotter, I never got the same max lag, than I was shown ingame, which I believe is an effect of traffic shaping, as I guess ping plotter uses different packagesize than the game

Target Name: 158.152-228-195.hosting.adatpark.hu
         IP: 195.228.152.158
  Date/Time: 30.08.2012 07:38:46 to 30.08.2012 07:47:01

Hop Sent Err PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
7    34   0 0,0  10  73  12  ae8.scr4.FRA4.gblx.net [67.16.145.241]
8    34   0 0,0  10 277  37  po4.ar2.FRA4.gblx.net [67.16.130.233]
9    34   0 0,0  26 147  30  [209.130.172.106]
10    34   0 0,0  27 123  31  [81.183.0.104]
11    34   0 0,0  26  94  28  [81.183.0.217]
12    34   0 0,0  25 124  28  [81.183.2.210]
13    34   0 0,0  27 171  31  158.152-228-195.hosting.adatpark.hu [195.228.152.158]

To the Devs:
Zoom, wasn't there a tool added in-game where players could run a trace route and automatically save/send the data?

This would be useful as it's been stated that running your own traces/pings never reflects the same 'lag' you see in game.

If there is a way to do this could you please document a nice way for players to do it? It might be that you'll get more consistant reports and every time someone gets some bad lag they can quickly type in a few game commands and have a nice trace log output that they can paste in the forums.

To the players:
It is important that everyone also understands how connections work and that there are many type of 'lag'.
1) If the destination servers processing capabilities are strained then there will be a delay between the responses to each packet. This can also result in packet loss if the 'time to live' of a packet is reached before it is processed.

2) If any server between yourself and the destination is struggling to deal with a large load of packets at any given time this can result in a dropped packet or longer than normal delays.

3) If your connection between your computer and your ISPs network is not configured correctly or there are issues at your local exchange this can result in a very small amount of players (So, just you) being effected by terrible connection issues.

4) Corruptions in data transmission/retransmission somewhere between your computer and the destination machine. Because science is crazy and could result in weird things happening to signals.

Now only the first point can be monitor and controlled by the destination server owners. It's very easy to go "I can't connect to your game, fix it as it must be your fault" because this is very often not the case.

Troubleshooting for players:
Pinging an IP address will quickly tell you the overall performance of your connection. Tracing the route of a packet will tell you each machine that the packet visits and the time it takes to then reach the next location.

When looking at the results of a trace route you need to keep an eye out for any large spikes or if the connection is generally quite bad you'll see a high response time from the first exchange. Under 100ms is very good for any communication. For things like FPS games or games that require fast reactions anything above 100ms will be noticeable if the system is not developed in a way to deal with this.

For example a wired internet connection (Wired directly from your machine to the socket on the wall) will be around a 0 to 1ms travel time. A wireless connection is often around 5ms+. If you're seeing values higher than 20ms before you even reach the first 'hop' there is likely something wrong with your connection or you're very unfortunate.

Most routers will be addressed as per their owner E.g. xxxx.yyyy.adatpark.hu helps indicate the owner of the server. If your getting a high value or a spiking value from a router owners by your ISP you can often contact them to report this however most ISP will monitor these machines. (You can sometimes get money off your bill for being provided a poor service if you're lucky so it's worth reporting if there really is a problem)

The main issue is unless the packet loss or high response times are at the destination or source machines there is nothing yourselves or the destination machine owners can do.

Annoying but, sadly, true. sad

TL;DR Lags sucks and most of the time you can't do anything about it so instead of whining and complaining try and find where the fault is and then do the best you can do resolve the issue by contracting the right people. It's better than complaining at other people who also can't do anything to resolve it. smile

and my lag is all gone now.

Alexander wrote:

To the Devs:

Please hire me.  Please!  I can be a great GM.

TL;DR Lags sucks and most of the time you can't do anything about it so instead of whining and complaining try and find where the fault is and then do the best you can do resolve the issue by contracting the right people. It's better than complaining at other people who also can't do anything to resolve it. smile

Alexander.... it is my right as a customer to provide feedback to a company that provides me with service.  You should know that at your tier 1 tech support Comcast job.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.