Topic: Something for new players?

Alright, what drew me back into the game was the awesome sounding terraforming and base building.

Ok so now that im back and fully re-addicted i realize that this aspect of the game is reserved for mega-corp-alliances, given you need to be able to defend your base.

Here the issue im seeing.  First i forgot how corps seem to not want to take new players or returning players, and as much as i want to beg some corp to take me in which could potentially restrict me from ever joining numerous other corps down the road...well i just dont want it.  So anyway...all this gamma base building and terraforming that sounds great seems to be out of reach for me until i can amass an insane amount of goods, get those structure cores...well its not gonna happens since if i ever do get all that stuff ill probably get my base stomped when im at work ect.

So seeing how the game currently seems to be completely focused on mega corp pvp and is lacking for new players and casuals.. Why not cut off one or two of those 20 pvp islands and make them some type of optional pvp small group and solo player base building islands.

Im not sure how much programming work this would take, maybe have a separate section of things that could be built or just make the current items in game cheaper and accessible for newer and small group players.  Dont need to make these islands really good, maybe a slight step up from alpha in difficulty and value ect.

Allow mutual mini wars between the players who build bases in case they want it, otherwise non destructible no pvp.  Allow the bases to degrade fairly quick.

This will give new players something to shoot for before they get to a place where they want to go full on pvp and base destruction and will give something for players who just might not want to join a mega-corp-alliance.

Just a thought...cheap easy to access terraforming and small-base building that anyone alone or in a very small corp could do without the risk of losing it all, while retaining the option to war another base if they want a small scale mini-war.  Content barely more difficult than alpha island, possibly worse resources, no pvp only resources or whatever.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Re: Something for new players?

Stranger Danger wrote:

So seeing how the game currently seems to be completely focused on mega corp pvp and is lacking for new players and casuals.. Why not cut off one or two of those 20 pvp islands and make them some type of optional pvp small group and solo player base building islands.

I dont really want soloable islands (other than maybe a bootcamp to start from) in a MMO. There are and must be better ways to achieve content for new players / players without corp.
To make PBS/terraforming available for little groups and solo players I like the "from-tent-to-camp-to-base" idea best - with the tent as a little one-person-terminal, cheap to have for everyone.

A underground bunker POS for solo or small group/corp people. Entrance tower cant be detected (visually) unless probed out with a new geoscanner scan charge designed for it. Kinda like probing for ore but with no directional charge. After probing it out, can be bookmarked and attacked. big_smile

Dont take this idea seriously though, just a random thought I got in 5 seconds and most likely a horrible one. ^^

thats mostly the idea of that tent-camp-base system too, razuki big_smile
Here are some details for the tent; the camp would be for small groups and the big base as it is for big corps and such

Arjha Shanoo wrote:

thats mostly the idea of that tent-camp-base system too, razuki big_smile
Here are some details for the tent; the camp would be for small groups and the big base as it is for big corps and such

Ah, thanks for the link. Will check it out soon. Been wondering why the word "tent" was used alot around this section tongue

The "Tent" was what i called it.:

On an expedition you sleep in a 1-man-tent.
If your staying longer and with a team, you are stating with a camp, and then build the advanced facilites from the materials you can gather around your camp. The more your work on it, it turns into a Base.

In perp that doesnt work, because from t1 to t3, its always a BASE, and you need to bring 100% of the materials FIRST.
Just to work from your BASE to expand it, you need to build Terminal + reactor + refinery + RE + factory + prototyping plant... and have the knowledge and NIC beforehand.

though, the TENT (Temporary Emergency Night Terminal) was something i requested loooooooong time ago big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Stranger Danger 2012-08-26 14:48:15)

Im suggesting very small base construction requiring materials that one player no matter his/her chosen role in game can obtain. A slightly improved one that 3-5 peoples worth of mats can obtain for small corps.  Im suggesting this island have all the benefits of gamma minus pvp materials and pvp.

Perhaps allow a mutual mini-war between bases.

Keep the resources to a minimum, no pvp mats, keep the mobs to just barely more difficult than the first starting island.

There needs to be motive to move out and into the pvp areas, but allow players to enjoy the full scope of what this game offers early on in sample size.

Oh and my idea for how to allow this easy to make base in a nooby gamma:  Mobile home bot.  You buy it(mission reward for extended tutorial?), you drive it to spot, you deploy it and it transforms into a...i dunno construction yard with a small bank.  Now you can farm mats store them and then work to making walls or whatever. Make a small weekly tax on it or something so if people quit for a while it can decay and someone else can move in with their own mobile home bot.

Just something simple and not all that rewarding, and not overly complicated and complex... to bridge the gap between "grinding rep" and joining a mega-corp-alliance to enjoy the same activities but with pvp and on a grand scale.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth