1 (edited by Annihilator 2012-08-24 16:35:11)

Topic: What is Perpetuum...

Quoting from the Perp hompage:

Features:
Persistent universe
Every player is part of one server, one scene, one storyline.

Thats true

Formable planet surface
The whole terrain can be formed by military, agricultural or even aesthetic aspects.

this one is finally in and True since Gamma expansion

Dynamically changing resources
Controlled algorythms manage the respawn of raw materials, the position of liquid minerals shift during exploitation. The flora is also changing perpetually, players can even estabilish their own plantations.

hmm, this one is finally true
own plantations are possible, even though some mechanics make it not really usefull to plant anything beside Noralgis.
Ore deposits now respawn at random places all over the map.
Both plant and Ore respawn algorithm needs serious tweaking IMHO, but the statement is no lie anymore

Time-based character development
No need for 'grinding'. You can be qualified despite you're not playing, since players get XP even if they are not logged in.

no need for grinding Character progression, that true, BUT:
the whole PvE experience is nothing but grinding mechanics.

Real-time, asynchronous combat
No turns, therefore no time restrictions of combat moves.

Its called "Real time combat". took me some time to figure out what you meant with that one. The asynchronus is confusing IMHO

30+ robots, hundreds of items
Robots can be specialized in several kinds of operations or tactics. The only barrier is your imagination.

The only barrier is my EP count and item access.
Recently I (and i'm not the only one) realised that those "several kinds" is a very very limited number per robot.

Player driven economy
Exploitation, refinement and even manufacturing are all controlled by the players. The speed and efficiency of fabrication processes can be developed throughout the game.

Player driven, yes...
without Player, no market, with no market, no player retention -> theres a loophole

Social networks
A complex corporation founding and management system is available for players, with additional communication systems in- and outside the game.

hmmm, 8 levels of storage access and 6 predefined corp member roles isnt what i would call "complex"

Numerous career opportunities
Combat, mining, industry, logistics, marketing are all viable options for anyone. Be a lone wolf or join up player-created corporations and contribute to a bigger cause.

this is true
while its true, "lone wolf" doesnt work without paying for several accounts, even for the most basic things

Conclusion: (old)
the key features that are attractive for someone reading those lines on the homepage are not even present ingame. I think we lost already many potential new comrades because of such belied expectations.

(new)
The game is finally feature complete! No more advertising lies. Now its time to add content and tweak the debateable features...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: What is Perpetuum...

Potential.
Missed opportunities.
A learning experience.

I think that atm this game growing up the agents, who will be the biggest fans, who can wait and who can contribute. Around them devs will build big and healthy community, with alot of pew-pew.
IMO, this game still looks like a big beta-test, with ability to not be wiped on "release" (what is very very good, and i ready to pay for it)

4 (edited by Celebro 2011-12-29 20:02:13)

Annihilator wrote:

Time-based character development
No need for 'grinding'. You can be qualified despite you're not playing, since players get XP even if they are not logged in.

no need for grinding ep, but grinding for npc standing for sparks and better production.

You need to add research which is not time based but its part of character development, possibly the biggest grind created in mmo history.

The lone wolf part makes me laugh really hard, most that take this route has a minimum of 3 accounts to 'pay to win' alone.

Not even DEVs know what perpetuum is, if they do know they don't care, to share.

RIP PERPETUUM

now the real question:

if you had to write an article about perpetuum, what would YOU write as pro and con about this game?

The reason i opened up this topic is the request from so many for more advertising. More advertising has a bad taste if its done with the features listed in my initial post, for the given reasons.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Its a game.

OP solved in just under three words.

Back to work everyone.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Gud,,,if the devs want more players they need to put some Capitalism content in for players that wont play the commie role.  A switch deciding alignment,,,to be honest.  There is only ONE alignment in this game... They could put in alignment content for Pirates,,,to. 

Then the face of Perpentuum would be conflict between actual play styles, instead of "who has the most accounts" model.

Sorry for the troll. but while the fat man is guarding the door.......i can stimulate some thought.

http://youtu.be/Xm6iirUzBNM

You see five weapon types in this vid.  Flame, Beam, Ammo, Lightning, Sonic.  One alignment.  Players can be in a corp, and still use other corps stuff.  The separation comes by players only being able to bring new gear into the game from the corp they join at start. The market is the division of gear between the corps, factories, ect.  Not much different then this game.

It would be cool if this game had Flame, or Beam, or plasma, mortars. And there is both los and ranged flame, beam, ammo.  With splash with all the ranged stuff.  Large splash large dispersion along with damage, range, energy used rate of fire. Elevation helps los weapons, and terrain helps or hinders accuracy.  Shooting over a hill disperses rounds over a much larger area then targeting things on the slope of a hill.  The rover on stilts in the vid, fitted with a ammo flack cannon that fires 30 rounds with 10hps damage covers a smaller area then firing from ground lvl.  A reason you see so many flying rovers firing beams, they also fired flame, and sonic.

Weapon verity currently in the game could be enhanced into the realm of,,,real cool...

9 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-01-29 13:27:20)

Eh, Im not trying to troll you zigZag but it seems like you are getting carried away there.  Maybe explain the features you would like in more detail in a new thread(s)?  I think the OP is talking about what the game promises to be compared to what it actually is at the moment.

Real-time, asynchronous combat
No turns, therefore no time restrictions of combat moves.

I also remember looking at that and shaking my head (i mean who assumes these days that a game is going to be turn based?).  It sound like pretentious crap tbh (sry whoever wrote that).  I think it should just be replaced with "Real time combat" or "Real time, open world combat" or something else that's clear and simple.  You may think this a trivial point but imo for a lot of people who may be looking at a description of a game and deciding if they want to try it or not, seeing that sort of thing is very off-putting.

+1
-Confucius

Your right, but the vid still shows walls.  If any kind of flame weapon,,stop. Sorry.

you see walls used in the vid to make you shoot walls,,for example.  Not to shoot 1 in a long line of 200.  Or does that even mean anything..?

but as a link to a vid i likes allot. and with the DDos goin on,,i am bummed...

11 (edited by Blackomen 2012-08-24 07:55:57)

Annihilator wrote:

Social networks
A complex corporation founding and management system is available for players, with additional communication systems in- and outside the game.

hmmm, 8 levels of storage access and 6 predefined corp member roles isnt what i would call "complex"

Wait there are "8" levels of storage access? Where are those sneaky devs hiding the other 4? tongue

PS: Or are you counting the two options associated with each of the four levels?

Anyway, not trying to troll you. You have some good points here and some I think that are almost looking for a problem where one doesn't exist. Still, more features and options are rarely a bad thing.

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

Dear thread, welcome back to the living.

So, this would mean the game has truly gone into beta. Good times!

13 (edited by Gremrod 2012-08-24 15:26:41)

Annihilator wrote:

Formable planet surface
The whole terrain can be formed by military, agricultural or even aesthetic aspects.

this one is still not in sad nor do we have any statement when it will be true.
so its an advertising lie

Military can change the terrain by blowing up plants/trees and any other plant life. This can also be done with bombs now.

You can terraform gamma islands.

Incubators can be planted to change the terrain. 

Aesthetic aspects of this would be placing structures in specific locations that are aesthetically pleasing.

Formable planet surface

I would say the statement is true.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

hey hey, grem, slow down, that statement is older then even the first blog about terraforming! I think at that time you could only "plant" noralgis.

I linked this topic last night in IRC and said, i have to EDIT now, that perpetuum is finally

feature complete!

... now it can go open live (aka free to play big_smile)

*updating first post now*

Annihilator wrote:

hey hey, grem, slow down, that statement is older then even the first blog about terraforming! I think at that time you could only "plant" noralgis.

I linked this topic last night in IRC and said, i have to EDIT now, that perpetuum is finally

feature complete!

big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Annihilator wrote:

feature complete!

lol damn you, necro thread smile

RIP PERPETUUM