Re: What are light bots designed to do?

Valid points, but their detection potential isn't affected by equipped guns.

Sundial, I have to side with Dev Zoom on this one.  You make the point it decreases its effectiveness, but in theory if you spec sololy into Mechs, your going to be better in your mech then say your light bot.  Same with the combat/scout hybrid.  Terrible locking ranges and more then likely you will die in explosion on Beta but atleast with a properly fit castel you would be able to fight off a light ewar... wait no you can't... never mind... Dev Zoom the tides have turned!  If you put a detector into the head slot you have a 12 second lock and a 150 range, which means they could be kited quite easily. Light bots need 2 head slots atleast , but thats imo.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

28 (edited by Sundial 2012-08-08 17:40:31)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Valid points, but their detection potential isn't affected by equipped guns.

Defensive detection potential does not diminish as much, but offensive detecting potential factors in both travel time and detection strength. Travel time is directly correlated to the amount of weight you add on to your bot.

Zoom, here is a scenario of why even defensive detection with guns equipped is bad.

M2S and friends came to Nova, it was my job to get eyes on their main fleet. I was all the way north and got eyes on them in the northeast most teleport.

They must have seen me too, because MoBIoS in a Troiar Mk2 and a castel Mk2 detector were dispatched to tackle and kill me. Had I been fit with guns, I surely would have died. But luckily I was not and I was able to outrun them. They gave up and I continued to apply my detector to their group.

I really have to disagree with your statement that fitting guns does not affect their detection potential. While this is true on paper only looking at your signal strength, in practice this falls flat on its face. I would know, I have a dedicated detector account with over 500K EP spent on being the ultimate scout bot.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

..and no scouting bonus on light combats btw

RIP PERPETUUM

Speed is critical for scouts.  Almost in every single situation, it is not worth adding anything other than a lightweight frame and speed nexus (for Mk2) to a light detector.  In fact for pvp a T4 or at least T3 detector is a must.  However, I think its a problem with the way that detector modules function rather than with light bots themselves.

It is in theory possible for someone to be playing with a single account and running a detector bot but in practice it makes much more sense for someone to use a detector alt since that way they can still participate in the fight using their main account.

It seems that light bots lack the head slots to be of much use in a fight.  Light-ewar out runs them and assaults out tank and out damage them.

Either way there isn't really enough pvp going on to see if there is a combat role which could be filled by lights.

+1
-Confucius

It's a valid point to have a slow scout that can't target anything beyond ~150m, because it doesn't affect the quality of detection.

It's all starting to make sense now. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Kaldenines wrote:

Speed is critical for scouts.  Almost in every single situation, it is not worth adding anything other than a lightweight frame and speed nexus (for Mk2) to a light detector.  In fact for pvp a T4 or at least T3 detector is a must.

I concur.

A T4 speed nexus on the enemies bots is fundamental for lulz on the CIR TS.

BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

Speed is critical for scouts.  Almost in every single situation, it is not worth adding anything other than a lightweight frame and speed nexus (for Mk2) to a light detector.  In fact for pvp a T4 or at least T3 detector is a must.

I concur.

hehe +1

BandwagonX9000 wrote:

I concur.

Ville did you train this monkey yourself?  It's pretty impressive!
It knows words like "concur", "fundamental" and even "lulz". Give it a couple of years and it may even be able to string a coherent sentence together smile

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:
BandwagonX9000 wrote:

I concur.

It knows words like "concur", "fundamental" and even "lulz". Give it a couple of years and it may even be able to string a coherent sentence together smile

My english is still better than spectron's big_smile

BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:
BandwagonX9000 wrote:

I concur.

My english is still better than spectron's big_smile

+1 and when English is your 4th language, I tend to look past things.  Unless it is Hunter in which he just amuses me endlessly with his proverbs.

topic dead?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We're discussing how could we make light bots more interesting, you'll know when we got something smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

We're discussing how could we make light bots more interesting, you'll know when we got something smile

Awesome big_smile

This is great news.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

smile

Yay, I want my light bots to make me coffee in the morning!

+1
-Confucius

42 (edited by Syndic 2012-08-11 11:18:18)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Give them +1 headslot. Problem solved, next.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

really?

1 more module = less speed.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Really.

How does it scale atm considering S.Amp is MANDATORY in all fits that don't include an expensive followbot with Remote Sensor Amps?

Lights - 1 headslot <----- ALERT ALERT HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Light EWAR - 3-4 headslots
Assaults - 4 headslots
Mechs - 3-4 headslots
Heavy - 4-5 headslots

Lights having 2 headslot means players can fit S.Amp + Demob, which immediately gives you a ridiculously cheap throwaway PVP bot nobody cares about losing, but just might pull off the HERO RIFTER moment and tackle a titan.

Next step: Remove approach command from the game. Immediately solves all pay-to-win problems where someone with 1 account can never beat someone with 2+ or 3+ accounts.

Naturally we could always let the hungry hungarians knee-jerk, overbuff the light bot again so its pointless to use anything else. God knows they got a track record for such sensible informed decisions. roll

CIR Complaint Form

Annihilator wrote:
Syndic wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

really?

1 more module = less speed.

Change part of their basic robotics bonus so that each level gives -5% to all weight-based speed penalties, or something similar. A light bot-specialized pilot won't be able to go faster than normal, but they'll be able to put in a few extra modules without being slower than normal.

And I also agree with whoever said that if their role is scouting, change some of their BR bonus to reflect that. If we still need there to be a starter-level light combat bot, keep them as they are and introduce a 3rd type of light bot ("Recon" or something) with the speed and detection/masking bonuses instead of combat ones.

Recon bot +1