Re: My concern for the game

I thought PO is already tagged as "PvP niche game". If some reviewer would spend in a game say a week instead of 2-3 days review session they would notice that there is nothing on PvE side but pure grind, in its most evil form. And PvP side is quite disorganized.

I think Avatar wasn't really prepared for the game launch, it feels that it was sort of a sudden release for them smile. They are trying to do things as fast as they can but it feels like too much stuff fallen into their lap and they are having trouble sorting it out.

There is only a few of them and they have some much to do I feel sorry for them to be honest.

They need to find solution for lag - potentially move the server or introduce another one somewhere in central europe or US
They need to fix bugs
They need to polish the graphics engine so that people with slower PCs could actually run the game
They need to work on a new content as much as possible since game needs new content very soon
In team of 10 people thats gonna be really hard

But I wish them all the best, hopefully they can hire couple more coders soon and get additional help...

127 (edited by Jeronas 2010-12-09 22:36:28)

I say it and will say it again.

If they put the server in the data center in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

It will be directly on the Great Atlantic backbone.

Then you got both decent latency for US players and European players.

I work in the IT myself for over 11 years now. And I can tell you this much.

The internet lines between Eastern Europe and Western Europe are notoriously known for being bad and unstable!
I have had years of first hand experience and dealings with this.

So with the server being located in Budapest, Hungary. It doesn't suprise me one single bit that so many people are suffering from Latency issues. Especially players from across the pond (US).

Cheers

128 (edited by postman 2010-12-09 22:39:29)

Chief Ubenor wrote:

I thought PO is already tagged as "PvP niche game". If some reviewer would spend in a game say a week instead of 2-3 days review session they would notice that there is nothing on PvE side but pure grind, in its most evil form. And PvP side is quite disorganized.

I think Avatar wasn't really prepared for the game launch, it feels that it was sort of a sudden release for them smile. They are trying to do things as fast as they can but it feels like too much stuff fallen into their lap and they are having trouble sorting it out.

There is only a few of them and they have some much to do I feel sorry for them to be honest.

They need to find solution for lag - potentially move the server or introduce another one somewhere in central europe or US
They need to fix bugs
They need to polish the graphics engine so that people with slower PCs could actually run the game
They need to work on a new content as much as possible since game needs new content very soon
In team of 10 people thats gonna be really hard

But I wish them all the best, hopefully they can hire couple more coders soon and get additional help...

not sure where you are getting the pure grind from, or even the unprepared launch. I equate grind to having to level, not mining for resources or farming for PVE. Really both of those are a means to an end, not a forced manner of character development. If you played Darkfall, this game is a breath of god damn fresh air if you would consider any of it a grind.

I have been in every major game launch for the last few years and I have to say without a doubt that this has probably been one of the smoothest.

There is a big difference with Creative vs a lot of these other studios and its seem like a quality over quantity. If you played AoC at launch it didn't matter how damn big there team was, they couldn't keep up with what needed to happen in game and it resulted in knee jerk decisions and the game being in the state that it is now. AV has a larger team that Creative does and they still cant put a patch out in Darkfall for the life of them. On that note neither of those teams would give the players the time of day on the forums. Just the fact the Devs take the time to post on the forums says a tremendous amount about their dedication to Perpetuum.

lag and bug fixes will come, they have already said that. As far polishing the game for older machines, this isn't WoW. If you want an easy way to play games go burn money on an XBOX. PC gaming isn't about accommodating every cheap broke-ass that is still trying to play Crysis on a 486. PC gaming is what helps drive the technology, its the hot rod of the gaming industry.

as for content, its a *** sandbox game, we aren't progressing through tiers of raid dungeons. GO PLAY IN THE SAND!

Weapon X wrote:

Am I reading forumfall again?

Gah I thought I ditched that nasty habit..

haha, yeah i got that feeling too

postman wrote:

... wall of text removed ....

Weapon x? From UDA?   ...sup, its Harold =P

I can't believe people in this thread are saying that EVE Online and Perpetuum Online are not PVP-centric games. Absolutely unbelievable. For some reason, people equate PVP to players simply killing each other over and over, but it goes so much further than that.

Nearly everything you do in both games ensures some form of player vs. player competition. It doesn't matter what you're doing in this game, be it camping a spawn of drones, mining a hotspot of HDT or Titan Ore, or trying to sell some of your goods on the market, you're always up against another player. Player-driven anything is fueled by interpersonal competition. One does not exist without the other.

Perpetuum Game Mechanics that Promote Player Competition

PvE farming -

Due to Perpetuum's rising popularity, more and more players are joining the ranks and giving the game a shot. This means an increased number of players are out in the field shooting drones, mechs or other NPC enemies. More players means more competition for kills. How often do players rotate kills and cooperate? Hardly ever. What do they do? Train extensions or equip modules that increase their locking speed, allowing them to lock and "tag" a target before the other player does so.

Player Competition.

Mining -

You've just found a hot spot of Titan Ore and begin mining away for potential profit. A prospective miner passes by and sees you. What does he do? More often than that, they scan for ore, and begin mining right alongside of you, meaning less ore for you.

What are your options?

• You can always move.

• Train extensions to get more ore than him before it runs out

• Can always fit better modules that increase your yield, or pilot a better bot

His choice affected your gameplay. Player competition.

Trade and Market PVP

In this game, as well as EVE, engaging in the market is one of the fiercest, most cutthroat arenas a player could ever compete in. Here, a player will do whatever it takes to drive out potential competition. There are no friends here. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd be willing to divulge their trade secrets, letting you know what items turn the best profit.

Using the example from the mining category, how does one acquire a new mech or higher-quality modules? Where does the player you purchased the goods from get them? Where does he get the necessary materials to produce his goods to sell? And most importantly, how does he ensure that you specifically buy from him? Everything, be it the prices of the raw materials, or the profit margins gained from selling goods, are all dictated and affected by other players.

Player competition.

In Closing

Saying this game is not PvP-centric is absolutely laughable. EVERYTHING you do in this game has the potential to affect another player, and in-turn, everything they do has the potential to affect you.

Addendum

Last but not least, the whole "PvPers need Carebears more than the other way around" argument, where Carebears feel the need to exude some sort of smug, arrogant attitude, is simply a load of crap. It's a two way street. Both sides need the other to survive.

Pvpers need Carebears for goods and services, while the Carebears need pvpers for income and customers. If stuff doesn't get blown up, the markets get flooded, prices go down, carebears make no money off the items they produce, market crashes, carebears get disappointed, and then they leave. Oppositely, if raw materials aren't processed into usable goods, PvPers have nothing to use in the field, demand exceeds supply, prices rise exponentially, pvpers can't "play" the game, they get disappointed, and then they leave.

One does not hold more power over the other.

To put it simply, Perpetuum PVP is more than just players killing each other. It's about a living, breathing world where players cooperate and compete to survive in every aspect.

131 (edited by Recognizer 2010-12-13 03:21:28)

Flint Ironstag wrote:

... wall of text ....

Agree 100%......

*Recognizer: you have also agreed with the forum rules*

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Flint Ironstag wrote:

Brilliant Summary

^^ This ^^

Flint Ironstag wrote:

PvE, Mining, The Market... All of this is PvP!

While that was a fun and very adorable read, youre really reaching if you think PvE is PvP.. Just because another player is standing there too.

Of course most of us can see where you were coming from with that speil, but its simply just bullshit. Sorry.

Player Versus Player doesnt equate into Player puts .01 bid over other Player, Player brings 6 alts to strip mine better then Player, or Player has Early Acess Char with target locking speed of 3.6 and outlocks Player.

Thats nearly impossible to turn these things into acronyms.. Thats why PvP could mean two guys banging each other in the buttholes, but it doesnt.

It universally stands for combat AGAINST another player. This isnt a PvP centric game, sorry, if you dont believe that- Roll around beta islands. EVE was more so, given the player made content in deep space, but still the safety nets are there.

Im having fun playing, mind you, so just realize I had to tear down this silly logic of yours out of principal.

134 (edited by Jon Farmer 2010-12-13 00:17:46)

SSDD -- Over 80% of Eve's active subscriptions are hi-sec 'Carebears', not null sec hard core PVP accounts. Not my facts, CCP's