Topic: Market - buy/sell orders

Only Facts:

• Perpetuum has over 1300 items that you can buy or sell at the market.

• We have 3 extension for sell orders.
    Complexity of these extensions are [1], [3] and [5].
    Number of orders are 1, 5 and 10 per level. It means 10 + 50 + 100 = 160 sell orders for maximized extensions.

• Requirement EP (time): 13,500 + 40,500 + 67,500 = 121,500 EP (9d 9h + 28d 3h + 46d 21h = 84d 9h)

• We can't forget the buy orders. Same thing goes for them.

• Total requirement EP (time) for 160 sell and 160 buy orders: 243,000 EP (168 d 18 h) !!!

• We have 6 alpha main terminals + 9 alpha outposts + 3 beta terminals = 18 places for trading.
    Beta outposts does not count because they are not opened to all players.

• 1300 ingame items x 18 terminals = 23,400 possible sell (or buy) orders.

• From this we can see that a player can cover approx. 0.68% of the market; or in other words, we need 150 players with maximized trade extensions to cover all terminals with all items.

• New players (not only new) complain that they can't buy anything at the market, because there are no offers, or prices are too high.

I have only one character (1.5 years old), and I want to play this game in several aspects (mining, manufacturing, trading, PVE).

From my point of view it would crazy to spend almost 6 months to maximize these trading skills. There are other aspects of the game I want to get involved with.

Balancing the game is difficult and time consuming process. I counted only a few facts, and I'm leaving this topic opened for discussion.

Initially, I'm suggesting changes in the next direction:

1. Decrease complexity of trade extensions to [1], [2], [3], to reduce the amount of EP (time) -> ~56 d

2. Increase number orders to 10, 50 and 100 per level of extensions.

Re: Market - buy/sell orders

I am +1 for Increase number orders to 10, 50 and 100 per level of extensions.
-1 for decrease complexity - if you are dedicated trader, you shouldn't be able to be best at it after 20 days.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I am also a one account player. I've been pushing the market in Attalica since I feel that catering to the new players is extremely important to player retention. I sell very low and also work at filling reasonable buy orders.

I couldn't believe the prices when I resubbed. That is, if you could find anything. Basic items have to be affordable and available for many reasons. If you can't improve the bot yo have or upgrade, people lose interest quickly. High prices are a road block since that's just as disappointing as not being available at all.

Lack of availablility and high pricing have a huge negative impact on the game. If it costs too much or is too hard to get, nobody blows it up since they can't replace it readily. If bots don't go boom then nobody shops in the market. If nobody shops then industry dries up since there isn't anyone buying the items made. Mining becomes subsistance gathering since there is no industry.

Prices need to come down on every aspect of the market. The starter bot should be slightly better, You should get a new one when you die. Those are "must" items in any pvp game. In this game, yo need to be able to at least field something cheap and fun. At least it will help the market sell modules. The rest follows.

Cost and difficulty of research and prototypes needs to be better balanced. Teh cost of doing anything in this game is so high that it virtually kills it's own population. I understand NIC sinks. they are needed. However, they shouldn't kill off new subscriptions either. They also shouldn't stiffle in-game developement.

4 (edited by Sundial 2012-07-24 23:34:33)

ifelldown wrote:

You should get a new one when you die.

You do get a new one whenever you die.

ifelldown wrote:

In this game, yo need to be able to at least field something cheap and fun. At least it will help the market sell modules. The rest follows.

Yeah, you are right. I made a thread about how lackluster light bots are in this game a while back.

Here is how fitting a beginner light bot looks in Perpetuum:
http://sequer.nl/app/fitting/753

Here is how fitting a beginner frigate looks in EVE:
http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/287 … ifter.html

There is really no comparison. Light bots are boring (and also innefective). If the newb can't afford to fit a T4 frame, he will barely even be able to keep up if he is with a group. Its no surprise to me player retention is so low with the starter bots as boring and ineffective as they are.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:
ifelldown wrote:

You should get a new one when you die.

You do get a new one whenever you die.

ifelldown wrote:

In this game, yo need to be able to at least field something cheap and fun. At least it will help the market sell modules. The rest follows.

Yeah, you are right. I made a thread about how lackluster light bots are in this game a while back.

Here is how fitting a beginner light bot looks in Perpetuum:
http://sequer.nl/app/fitting/753

Here is how fitting a beginner frigate looks in EVE:
http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/287 … ifter.html

There is really no comparison. Light bots are boring (and also innefective). If the newb can't afford to fit a T4 frame, he will barely even be able to keep up if he is with a group. Its no surprise to me player retention is so low with the starter bots as boring and ineffective as they are.

the number of fitting slots is what kills the diversity you get in perpetuum. also doesnt help that if you do PVP you must fit a LWF taking away another slot for you to use.

6 (edited by Celebro 2012-07-25 10:05:11)

Remove the requirements for LWF on lights and assaults, not allowed to fit one, and buff the speed with a t4 frame, after all its mandatory.

+1 for the OP.

RIP PERPETUUM

not only the nubmer of fitting slots

the over-balance between medium and small modules fitting costs. Balancing is impossible with the number of parameters:

- slot count
- cpu / reactor costs
- robot bonuses
- robot mass vs. module mass
- locking range
- detection / masking
- extensions
- tiers

to prevent something overly imbalanced, everything is simply "balanced" down by the highest possible combination (best robot bonus + most slots + highest extension), resulting in t1 standard equip on light bot and low extensions has no role in low number PvP.

but thats off-topic!
Market extensions atm are uncreative, linear and only there as EP sinks.
if you can find any other reason for their existence then EP sink, please tell.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

lo peeps.

I to am a 1 account player.

I was trolling the forums and saw a quote from a player that has a very good ability for stating the obvious. He stated something about the game being built for multi account players. and meta gaming, to paraphrase unjustly his statement.  ( i am to lazy to look it up).

The mechanics of this type of game is balanced for this type of game. O wow, so that means i will never be a leet player?   yes it does. The game is not made for me. It is made for me and my three other accounts. It is made for multi boxing, flying through the content faster then the devs can make it, getting bored, saying i have done everything, in one year, and i am going to go play something better. Or new, whichever you prefer. Or i get booted from open terrain by someone, and decide i have been ganked from the game...

Making gear available for newbies is noble, and desirable.  But the system itself wont let that happen.  If someone puts T2 light missile launchers on the market for 50k each...the buyer will be a mega corp player saving time and resources buying them to make T3 launchers, which will never see a market either. and then T4.  So stating the obvious hurts, sometimes, because i have seen this before, and watching a train wreck days before it happens is also painful. Right now the game is just running over newbies one at a time, later when the core leaves we wont have any replacement players. and,,,,,,uhh,,,,who's going to turn out the lights...?

One player can influence rookie gear T2 T3 , by placing small numbers on the sell board. Producers will still pick them up, but these producers might be rookies also, and not mega corp players. This means the angle who is putting rookie gear on the market, has to check his selling stocks daily to keep supply available. There are two other ways to have noob gear in the market, but i don't  think anyone is ready for these solutions.

1 is to flood the market with T2 and T3 items to the point that mega corps go broke buying them.
2 is to have a seeded market for T2 and T3 items, with a base price. This stops inflation. But if the seeded price is high,,,its as bad as player greed.

And why there is a limit to sell orders is beyond me. It is more then a ep sink,,,it is a anchor around this games neck.

Community is one of the top two content attractors for a game.....being a self proclaiming profit,,,,i stated before gamma was launched,,,,,long before gamma was launched......that it would kill community. and it has...alphas are empty. This game has to fix this,,,,,NOW... or its,,,,,,,over.

cheers...:)

9 (edited by Annihilator 2012-07-25 17:32:42)

true true zigzag - at least the issue with upgrading corp producer will be removed with next industry patch, where you dont upgrade t1 up to t4.

at the same time, the demand for the *** of t1 loot weapons from NPCs will probably break away, if not someone out there is simply buying it for recycling...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I often entertain myself by saying "its not what i can do, but what i can't, that pisses me off." So a agenda driven spew of ideas that enhance "my game" experience is formed. Gads a year ago i decided to sell some loot, and i had one sell order available. Yeaaa i now have three. lol. Its ok.  I know a indy specific toon will have many more then three, and in just a month of playing.

The debate of balance between the uncontrollable number of toons 1 player can have, and controllable content the game provides each toon,,(cant be 1 player) has been decided in this game.  Two years from now i might click more market sell order extensions.  I like the trades and the division between them.

To be honest, i like the game, it is kinda like a payed beta test. With one toon i cant fly through the game like a cat with its arss on fire. I am tied to a ep diet that will have me playing for along time. O and a nic tree that sees me a cuppla bill behind also.

So how many players that had, have, did have, multi toons are gone for whatever reason do we know.  lots is all i can say.  Its endemic of this system. It allows one to go ludicrous speed, hit "the wall" and retire, take a break, quit. Players have to know that developers cannot create content as fast as players experience it.  The grind that sets in after reaching certain lvls is oppressive.  The saps is such a grind. it is a chore the game hands out that some are not willing to commit to.  My favorite fort capture mechanic is....The three pylon destruction method.  Shoot three pylons and the outpost is yours, and three more pylons generate.  Remainders of the defenders that are on the field can retake the outpost.  Only the owners can respawn at the outpost. This method had defenses, repulsers, turrets, AI.... also had mobile bases the attackers could use for a spawn sight, within howzer range. All this crap could be grinded out in a four hr period, by the clan, squad, corp. The cash, for bots, mobile base, for a two three hr fight every night of the week...

This game is not going to give me what i want, that's ok.  Shooting hero lights and assaults, with four machguns is still a blast. and the time flies by, even if the game crawls.

O yeah,,,i almost forgot,,,community.

Devs that enter the game in leet bots, with leet loot, that shoot everyone they see, anywhere, including, especially alpha...(no... mercy on noobs, but devs know vets, and they should shoot them on sight. Call them sentient could be a castel with three head slots, and three leg slots. with a sentient ct for the peep that shoots the dev. Notoriety, drama, and the desire to have vets running through alpha.  Every holiday, catch the easter bunny, shoot down santa, lol, and we cant leave out the turkey. Sents can have a sound when they are on a island, like whale sound. or coyote or drums, to warn players to take off their T4 stuff, or put on their T4 stuff...:)

Something that threatens a alpha island. That might fit into this game. AI driven, that rookies can handle, like a march of the elephants kinda thing, which some can compare to existing roams. But that camp players in terminals. Which one or two experienced players can break. I know, another anchor around our necks. But it is important for rookies to see other players.  And the game makes us do things we don't like now.  The biggest problem to this kind of mech, is there might not be anyone in the terminal. The mech could be tied to island population at the time of spawn.

Mini Outpost ownership,,,like alpha outposts. Limited control, but the need to flag to secure ownership of the outpost. Ownership could include the ability to use incubators that if attempted to harvest would flag the farmer...not keep him from harvesting, but flag him none the less. No docking restrictions, but the owner could be able to set the outpost perks, between those listed...The ability to friend or foe those that interject with the outpost, without corp controls.  friends would have the same perks as the owner, without joining a corp, the bond would be the outposts perks... This is a attempt to form new leaders, from a rookie population. One has the outpost and can hold it, players will use the outpost because it has a strong presence, and someone they can count on if there is trouble. Efficiency of the outpost could be tied to missions., could be tied to outpost needs, like recycled loot, low lvl decoders, resources within the influence of the outpost. Maybe even player numbers that are allied to that outpost. Production tied to mining harvesting, could enable contracts listed on the outposts sell and buy board, could be tied to player numbers allied to the outpost also....and ore and plant spawns....

And can we please have a bot parade complete with flags and banners, that moon everyone when they march by. 

time to go shoot a lvl one assault beacon....i wuv mechguns...:)

I have read through most of this and being a new production/market guy I spend a lot of time on my alt farming my own materials.  I observed earlier if I wanted to be able to do something effectively in this game I would have to multiple accounts.  I wanted to tap into a pocket of the market which is very very bland.  Prototypes.  I have had 6 Prototypes on the market right now.  Out of all the prototypes I have placed on the market only 2 have ever old.  I put a 25% mark up on the base manufacturing costs and nothing more.  The problem is not people trying to seed the market, No one is buying and it makes me sad sad   There are too many terminals and everyone spread to freaking far apart.  A poor sequer can only haul so much.

Nobody is buying because:
1) There is no demand for replacements since there's no good reason to risk losing a bot.
2) Its sooo expensive, not because of the price you are selling at but because of all the mats it needs.
3) Any serious producer is someone who has spent hours and hours grinding (or had a corp do it for them) and they don't need to buy a prototype, they make their own.

+1
-Confucius

I agree with some of what has been said here, I think the market does need a lot of changes for it to be viable. One change that would solve a lot of issues that have been brought up is the amount of orders I as a seller can set. As stated this should be drastically increased a player will 5’s in all of the market related skills should be able to sell 500+ orders.

As far as seeding T1 this is not a good idea, if the allowable amount of orders are increased this issue will go away. I would sell T1 all day long if it didn’t cut into my more profitable orders.

We also need to be able to buy from any location regardless of where the order were buying is located. This could be accomplished by carrier pigeon, the interwebs or npc carrier. We should still have to travel to the location to pick up the item(s) or make a contract for someone to bring them where we want them.

I think the complexity of production is on the right track but it needs to dump the previous tier requirement, this can be substituted for additional minerals to keep costs roughly the same. To stream line production and make it more manageable for new players, production should not require 3 finished products to complete 1 desired product. We already do this with producing commodities there is no need for this to be in manufacturing, it only lengthens production and makes new producers hard to come by because of the heavy lifting required to get profitable lines running.   

As far as low market activity … well until we get a huge PVE revamp were doomed to low population and declining player base. sad

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

IMHO the market extensions should not limit how many buy or sell orders you can set up, but affect things like
- the "markets in range"-Range (currently its infinite)
- remote market access options
- unlock rates and price statistics

basicly, market extensions should not affect that you can use the market at all, but how convinient you can use it.

the number of buy/sell slots in a terminal could also be tied to your logistic corp standing in that terminal, instead of extension.

at your own gamma outpost you should have ZERO limitations regarding number of orders.

At a gamma outpost I would link the limitations to the standing with the owning corp.
Green - Full market access
Blue - 10 buy orders / 10 sell orders. Maybe market history at that outpost.
White - 10 buy orders / allowed to sell to a buy order but no sell orders
Yellow - Allowed to buy but no orders placed

And yellow is assuming that yellows are allowed into the terminal.

I think we should get some offices that we can walk around in gamma station, with sexy assistants and all that shizzle.

LOL!  Bring in the monocoles!  Imagine sparks crawling around stations looking all sexified.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

It would bring in more people. Some in station shooting with some cheap 3d engine shouldn't take long to add and would give us something to do.

19 (edited by Doek 2012-08-12 13:22:28)

One cannot stress this enough: the market order limit is a very large problem. For balance's sake, I would not mind even a temporary change (just put a big disclaimer in the patch notes), because right now, the market can use all the help it can get.

any1 ever wondered as noob why its named "markets in range" ?

Annihilator wrote:

any1 ever wondered as noob why its named "markets in range" ?

I don't think it means anything specific. And stay on-topic, you.

The extra market orders per extension level will be increased from 1/5/10 to 5/25/50 in the upcoming patch.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The extra market orders per extension level will be increased from 1/5/10 to 5/25/50 in the upcoming patch.

nice lets hope that in a small way this helps.

Just wish we had this along time ago hmm

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

nice lets hope that in a small way this helps.

Just wish we had this along time ago hmm

We did, those were the old values for the extentions. At some point the devs nerfed them to their current values.

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

DEV Zoom wrote:

up coming patch??? will said patch be small adjustments or new content? and will we see it before September?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.