Topic: Signal detector improvement

i have a idea of a small improvement of a signal detector.

this will be optional so basicly you can turn this on and off just like the auto repeat mode on modules.

when your signal detector is running and spotting a "enemy" (neutral or below relation) you get a ping on your radar with sound just like a proximity probe.

Re: Signal detector improvement

I can imagine it now, 50 people on the scan ./ping ping ping big_smile

But in all seriousness, this is not a great idea, background detecting anyone?!?

If your running a detector you should be playing the game, paying attention to your landmarks and radar, watching the player movements etc. Having a detector behind another screen is too ezmode for quick logofskis and AFK gaming.

Exploitable for making a perfectly safe, roam-proof Beta/Gamma island. It's bad enough as it is with proximity probes on teleports.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Imo the detection mechanic needs an overhaul.  The ping should come from the bot activating the detector and be seen by everyone else...

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Imo the detection mechanic needs an overhaul.  The ping should come from the bot activating the detector and be seen by everyone else...

so that roaming gangs cant remain undetected whatever they do?

Oh i know, If you activate your masker you are  shown on everyone's radar.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

7 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2012-07-15 18:56:41)

Kaldenines wrote:

well this is actually not a bad idea.

just look at the real life (yea i know, bad word). a radar is a active scanner. you emmit radar waves that let you detect your target, but on the other hand you also give away your position because everybody can dectect your radar signal.

so maybe we should seperate active detection from passive detection. so basicly we could make 2 modules out of it.

one with passive detection. basicly what we have atm. something that increses our ability to see other things. no active detection. just beeing able to better see others. but maybe we want to give that one a little less effect. cause this is the stealth variant. you will still have a better detection as someone with no module.

and the second that is a active scanner. it has a certain range and in that range you can see basicly everything cause this is a active scanner. the disadvantage is of cource that everything else in range also sees you and has a big ping when you activate it.

p.s.: always nice to see when ppl that see their current status quo "threatend" respond with defensive flame instead of constructive critic. oh wait thats a bad word too...

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

p.s.: always nice to see when ppl that see their current status quo "threatend" respond with defensive flame instead of constructive critic. oh wait thats a bad word too...

I think theres a language barrier from the previous posts and what you think they said.  From the previous posts each one of them clearly stated why this was a bad idea.  You being the ubber offended butt hurt person as usual take this in an attempt to spin your hatred for fellow players to a "why you guys picking on me QQ" response thread.   Harden up nancey and stop putting bad ideas on the forums and complaining when people tell you your an idiot.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

just look at the real life (yea i know, bad word). a radar is a active scanner. you emmit radar waves that let you detect your target, but on the other hand you also give away your position because everybody can dectect your radar signal.

so maybe we should seperate active detection from passive detection. so basicly we could make 2 modules out of it.

one with passive detection. basicly what we have atm. something that increses our ability to see other things. no active detection. just beeing able to better see others. but maybe we want to give that one a little less effect. cause this is the stealth variant. you will still have a better detection as someone with no module.

and the second that is a active scanner. it has a certain range and in that range you can see basicly everything cause this is a active scanner. the disadvantage is of cource that everything else in range also sees you and has a big ping when you activate it.

You can say I'm feeling threatened all you want mate, but when I hear an idea that allows me to keep 5-6 clients running in the background with detector bots covering a whole island without even paying attention to them until I hear a ping, I know I'm hearing a bad idea.

Currently at least people need to watch landmarks/radar and have some interaction with the game.

CIR Complaint Form

Ville wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

I think theres a language barrier from the previous posts and what you think they said.  From the previous posts each one of them clearly stated why this was a bad idea.  You being the ubber offended butt hurt person as usual take this in an attempt to spin your hatred for fellow players to a "why you guys picking on me QQ" response thread.   Harden up nancey and stop putting bad ideas on the forums and complaining when people tell you your an idiot.

ville ... im only going to do this one time. then normaly i do not lower myself to that point.

this of cource was not ment for the persons that acually had something to say or pointing out with reason. this was ment for the person who was obviously trolling around insted of giving something usefull to a facuall discussion. i know its hard for you to understand that some ppl are acually trying to use this forum for what it is: a feature discussion... and not for their personal entertainment and propaganda bullshi*. but i can very well understand that this is not easy for you to grasp. i dont know how old you are in real life but guess what other ppl think of your mental age. trolling and assaulting are your speciality here besides giving other senceless comments. just look at your post history. who is the idiot here? i will not reply to any other of this, that is not on topic. have a nice day.

sry for breaking the rule... never feed the troll.

syndic.. standing with six trial agents at a gate waiting to hear a sound when somebody ports in is basicly no difference. but if you agure and discuss then your point is surely taken.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

syndic.. standing with six trial agents at a gate waiting to hear a sound when somebody ports in is basicly no difference. but if you agure and discuss then your point is surely taken.

Trial agents in arkhes are subject to interference, meaning as soon as something jumps in they're as blind as a bat. Can it be done? Yes, certainly. But it has to be done on every single gate since you have to take interzone teleporters into consideration, so it becomes a much more complicated effort.

Detectors on the other hand typically cover a 4-kilometer sphere, with a few of those its already easy to scout every approach. Having it ping just makes it as absurdly easy as spamming proximity probes on teleports.

CIR Complaint Form

13 (edited by Ville 2012-07-15 21:43:39)

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

i know its hard for you to understand that some ppl are acually trying to use this forum for what it is: a feature discussion... and not for their personal entertainment .

Zortarg do you know what a Job is?  It's were a person does work for comphensation, some for money, some for other services, and others to make sure their wives don't assault them with a nerf bat at 2 AM demanding that the house payment be made.  These forums, Avatar creations and this game Perpetuum Online are for ENTERTAINMENT purposes only.  If you can't handle having fun maybe you and Tamas should get a room together and make illegimate Eastern European Babies together as you endlessly and tediously slave over numbers and getting butt hurt about someone else poking fun at others smile

It's called a Joke, Look into it.

mqx wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

so that roaming gangs cant remain undetected whatever they do?

so that roaming gangs can remain undetected by avoiding enemy detectors

Lemon wrote:

Oh i know, If you activate your masker you are  shown on everyone's radar.

+1

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

this would change the solid foundation of this already working feature.

any change in masking/detection mechanics would probably lower the amount of numbers you have to memorize (your detection range, oppenents possible detection range, probe detection range, ... ), that would dumb down the gameplay and reduce the l33t-ness of those who have done that already.

a ping for detection would mean that you can actually actively run your tackler and have the detector alt on second client followbot, making multiboxing even easier then it is in that aspect. Since a big part of the subscriptions are multiboxing accounts, it wouldn't be bad to accomodate the main costomers will...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

any change in masking/detection mechanics would probably lower the amount of numbers you have to memorize (your detection range, oppenents possible detection range, probe detection range, ... ), that would dumb down the gameplay and reduce the l33t-ness of those who have done that already.

a ping for detection would mean that you can actually actively run your tackler and have the detector alt on second client followbot, making multiboxing even easier then it is in that aspect. Since a big part of the subscriptions are multiboxing accounts, it wouldn't be bad to accomodate the main costomers will...

QFT

Annihilator wrote:

Tbh I don't see how the current detecting mechanic is making the game any more interesting.  Simply push a button and you know exactly where every enemy is in a 2+ km radius.  Not to mention that the detector fits on a very fast light bot.

Make it use LoS mechanics ;] like a sonar big_smile I think that was Siddy's idea back in the days big_smile

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

[serious post]
ville - you forgot to quote my sig wink

Nian Cat - read my sig wink

there are several options to turn into a more interesting feature, also, since implentation I was requesting that detector should drop his masking everytime he "pings".

but look at the module description: detecting is passive, masking is active.
In reality, masking would be comparable with Radar Jammer that turns a single vehicle/aircraft into a huge DOT on Radar.... according the description of emmitting even more NOISE.

that aside...

[/serious post]

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear