51 (edited by Dazamin 2012-07-11 20:58:56)

Re: New devblog: The Gamma proposal

Syndic wrote:

Jokes aside, even with the old 500m system there is no theoretical possibility anyone could have made an impenetrable island defense. All the terraforming and base changes will result in two things;

a) Someone who wants to invade will invade a lot easier and quicker then before.
b) Gamma residents who can't defend their stuff dock up for a week or two and have a bit more time to haul their stuff out before their base is blown up.

I'm not seeing what makes invading easier, could you explain?

@ Mongolia - Cost balancing doesn't work, as you say it just delays the consequences being seen. Tbh, make terraforming free, then you can see quickly the results of not restricting terraforming more.

Maybe we didn't put our point across well enough, but myself and Kaldenines were concerned about the lack of PvP and wanted the devs to seriously think about the impact of allowing corps & alliances to wall themselves off, the majority disagreed and the devs went with that.

With respect Zoom, I believe Tamas was pushing cheaper terraforming cost ... and some others agreed .. and in general, maybe slightly is ok. But reducing them to 20% of their current costs is far too great a change.  Remember, you the Devs were the one the proposed the 2000m change in the first place and it lead to a great hue and cry on the forums and the Dev/Player conference.

But your stated purpose for the change was to promote base defence, not island defense.

And to that end the current terraforming costs only allowed one, maybe 2 teles to be walled off with massive walls, a temporary stopgap (quoting Lemon) that allowed corps some time to solidify their hold on an island.  The high cost meant that A) Corps with lots of money had better opportunity to settle Gamma (working as intended) and B) You had to think about what and where you terraform.

Perhaps this meant using the islands natural landscape to somewhat mitigate the costs of base construction, and choose a location carefully. How can this be bad?  And I suggested reducing Base terraforming, vs regular terraforming, as an incentive to make the players concentrate on Base building, not island isolation.

With cheap terraforming every base will be constructed on top of a square that rises 400m into the sky ... why even bother to find high ground and modify it or a location that has better natural defenses?  Result ... Ugly assed islands.

53 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2012-07-11 21:06:40)

well the thing in the forums is that some ppl can yell lowder and more often as others.

the expensive terraforming will not help against more roamable islands.

but the cheaper terraforming will help builing a base that is better to defend. if you reduce prices of the buildings and increase terraforming then nothing is gaind. terraforming is a big part of building a base and without a good effort in this you just can forget about your base from the start.

basicly we have 2two fronts here:

the griefer faction: wants to have easy access everywhere and wants to be able to kill everything they can get a hold on.

the builder faction: that one wants to build something. some of them might want to have a relatively save gamma island so that they do not have to loose their industrilas every half hour. so that the roamers have to engage them of their terms. what you can expect if you put billions into it.

im not saying that it will be good for the pvp serverwide if we get all gammas turtled up. but making terraforming expensive is not the way to do so. ppl will make their "save zones" on gamma. how big and where they will be is another question. but if you make terraforming expensive it will prevent a lot of ppl to go to gamma and build a base there that might hold more then a little effort to destroy it.

ppl will put a lot of effort in it and if they choose to make it hard for the griefers then its their choice to.
if you put the same effort into your roams then you will have a easy way.

in my opinion cheeper terraforming is the right way.and yes 20% is good as well. what else has do be done is another question. i also think that 2000m no buildings is also good. and that works very well in the griefers hands.

fact is you cant make it the way everybody wants.

so the question is to who the devs will listen? to the repersentives that were representing the majority of the server or to the griefers that want the same access to all gamma islands as on the beta islands. gamma is not beta...
the rest is to the devs to decide. i voiced my opinion so the other representives did on that matter.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

the griefer faction:

to the repersentives that were representing the majority of the server or to the griefers that want the same access to all gamma islands as on the beta islands. r.

Really??.......... You know, some of us tried to be unbiased, and think about all play styles. Others obviously are only interested in their playstyle, and screw everyone else. They're not PvPers, they're griefers!!!!!111!!!1! So their opinion is irrelevant.

Dazamin wrote:

@ Mongolia - Cost balancing doesn't work, as you say it just delays the consequences being seen. Tbh, make terraforming free, then you can see quickly the results of not restricting terraforming more.

No, you miss my point entirely.

Alliances come and go
Corporations come and go
Players come and go

But terraforming should remain slow and steady (read -> expensive).

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Mongolia Jones wrote:
Dazamin wrote:

No, you miss my point entirely.

Alliances come and go
Corporations come and go
Players come and go

But terraforming should remain slow and steady (read -> expensive).

Expensive does not equal slow, if you want it to be slow you limit how much an Island can be terraformed per day, month, whatever. Expense is a temporary block that will be overcome by more players, inflation or some other means.

Dazamin wrote:

Expensive does not equal slow...

So by applying your logic making terraforming cheaper would not increase the overall rate of terraforming NIA?

Pleas explain how terraforming will be completed at the same rate if it cost 10x more than it does now.

Making terraforming expensive WILL slow down the terraforming process.  I prefer altering the cost of terraforming rather than placing all kinds of restrictions on where you can and can't terraform as that takes away from the sandboxy feel.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … mentation/

*hint* there is a topic around that wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

It will temporarily reduce the speed of terraforming, the end result will be the same. If it is beneficial to terraform the island it will be done, the idea that cost will solve the problem is just wrong.

60 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-11 23:27:20)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Ok, one change I read that I think will have the opposite of what you desire ...

Terraforming charges to be 1/5th of their current cost?

If you have stated that you envision players on Gamma defending Bases and not islands, the drastic reduction in terraforming cost will make it far simpler to wall off all island teleports, and reduce player interaction.  If you had lowered base terraforming costs while keeping the rest high(er), this would encourage base development.  Such a low cost means that terraforming will be quite widespread ... theres no need to think where to terraform and when to invest the nic required.

I think its a terrible change imo.  I hope I misread it and you are reducing the cost by a fifth, not to a fifth, of their current cost.

You didn't misread, Cassius, terraforming proposed to be 20% of current cost. I agree - this would be a disaster. Terraforming needs to be really expensive or PvP will just die at the huge dirt walls people build 2000km from a teleport. Cost of terraforming is fine as is. No need to change.

Game balance by cost is pointless look at titans in eve. In fact theres very few things you can do to stop this happening. one way is to make it take longer to TF. Make it or keeping it expensive will only mean newer / younger players wont get to have a play with it. the rich beta corps will how ever.

The problem you bring up wont be stopped in the long run even if you made it more expensive. being able to just TF in TP is stupid & i will never stop saying that smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

61 (edited by Sundial 2012-07-11 23:21:58)

So, how are we going to encourage bots/stuff to blow up? Havn't seem this concern addressed yet. Something needs to drive conflict besides epeen even with a low server population.

There needs to be something finite to fight over from small scale to large scale that can scale with the games population.

Coalxium/Epriton/Norgalis can be mined/harvested in near unlimited quantities, the only real limiting factor is how fast you can do it. So what are we supposed to be fighting over one island gives us it all (and other factional materials can just be imported from alpha)?

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

62 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-12 00:16:37)

Sundial wrote:

So, how are we going to encourage bots/stuff to blow up? Havn't seem this concern addressed yet. Something needs to drive conflict besides epeen even with a low server population.

There needs to be something finite to fight over from small scale to large scale that can scale with the games population.

Coalxium/Epriton/Norgalis can be mined/harvested in near unlimited quantities, the only real limiting factor is how fast you can do it. So what are we supposed to be fighting over one island gives us it all (and other factional materials can just be imported from alpha)?

Yes you do bring up a good issue. For all its unbalance moon minerals in stEVE while not being the sole factor in driving wars does make them more tempting.

Having a strategic resources that is both dynamic AND DEPLETE ABLE (very slow regen?) might help fuel turf wars as corps try to secure it. tbh i think this is what a mining tower should have been for.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yes you do bring up a good issue. For all its unbalance moon minerals in stEVE while not being the sole factor in driving wars does make them more tempting.

Having a strategic resources that is both dynamic AND DEPLETE ABLE (very slow regen?) might help fuel turf wars as corps try to secure it. tbh i think this is hat a mining tower would have been for.

Devs listen to this guy... Encourage corps / alliances to build structures to gather things on multiple islands.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Don't listen to Obi, IT'S A TARP!!!!!!!

65 (edited by Gremrod 2012-07-12 00:43:29)

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Having a strategic resources that is both dynamic AND DEPLETE ABLE (very slow regen?) might help fuel turf wars as corps try to secure it. tbh i think this is what a mining tower should have been for.

But isn't this something that is a bit off topic at this point?

Not saying that something doesn't need to be done with helping the flow of the market etc due to bots blowing up.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

And here are some answers:

will all the current TF and buildings on gammas stay as they are in that 2km no-build area until destroyed or there will be any reimbursement?

Everything will stay as it is, both buildings and terrain. Reimbursements would be really hard (if not impossible) to do based on stuff that happened inside the no-build areas, so as the blog says, we have decided to reimburse the price differences for all the terraforming charges and construction blocks (read: from the moment when the expansion went live). We think that this will generously cover all the losses and the time invested. There will be no reimbursements for buildings or their foundations, since they will be either deconstructed, destroyed, or left alone.

any solutions of gamma-npc do always stuck? same for non-gamma npc

This has been fixed in today’s patch.

new tiers and robot variants - that's T5 and Mk3?

We have a new idea for making the tier system less linear and more accessible, it would look like this:

Normal tiered items according to the current system (new name in parentheses):
T0 (T0): stays as it is
T1 (T1): stays as it is
T2 (T1+): stays as it is, requires T1 modules to build like now
T3 (T2): remove current T2 modules from its components
T4 (T2+): stays as it is, requires current T3 modules to build
T5 (T3): brand new tier, no component prerequisites, uses colixum-based commodities
T6 (T3+): brand new tier, requires T5 to build

So the system would be built up of tier pairs, one normal variant that needs more “exotic” commodities as we go up in tiers, and one “+” variant that needs the normal as a component. The common trait of + variants would be lower fitting requirements than their normal variant. The important thing to note here is that higher tiers wouldn’t have cascading requirements anymore.

In the new system, tier designations for factional items would be:
T2+ -> T1F
T3- -> T2F
T4+ -> T3F

As for robot variants, the naming is yet undecided.

which auras will be accessible in MPC Aura buildings?

The blog was unfortunately a bit unclear on this: only complex auras will be available, and they will be a bit rebalanced to have level 1-2-3 versions for standard, advanced and hi-tech buildings.

will there be elite versions of industrial bots on gammas?

No plans for that, they would be just sitting ducks like all industrial robots, there is nothing really “elite” about that.

will turrets shoot those who are attacking other buildings, not only the turrets itself?

This would be nice to have, but buildings in the network don’t know about each other. Maybe at a later point.

what happens if someone looses/stole/destroy private transport container?

The one who accepted the assignment will lose the collateral amount that he paid when he accepted, and the contractor will get it, together with the payback of the set reward. The contractor will be able to set an expiration time for the assignment, so it won’t be possible to “sit” on a package for the end of times. When the time is up the package will self-destruct and the same thing will happen as explained before.

will only the Main Terminals be immune on those 72 hours?

Yes, only the main terminal. For all the other buildings we can’t make a difference whether you just started a base or you put down a building right next to a well-fortified network.

Are current produced blocks being increased to reimburse for the new value of 5x multiplier on creation as opposed to the old values.

Although the amount of manufactured blocks is low compared to the blocks purchased (14k vs. 150k), we have decided to reimburse 4 construction blocks for every construction block manufactured.

While we're discussing changes: do we really need molecular instability on alpha now? Travel times are long as it is, and reducing or abolishing the instability on alpha would be a good step towards making trips/deliveries less painful.

We’ll reduce the molecular instability timer to around 20-30 seconds.

Suggestion:
Remove infinite NPC-seeds for construction blocks, not just building foundations. Let the players set their own price and build their own market.

We can’t remove the NPC-seeds for construction blocks, because they require colixum to build, so new corporations setting foot on gamma wouldn’t be able to build a mining outpost.

Reduce emergency mode from 72 hours to 8-16 hour variables like Beta outposts. With 72 hour window between emergency times, it would take 9-12 days to take down a standard terminal which is way too much for such a cheap building.

I’m not sure if that’s a typo, but there is only a 2-hour window between emergency phases. (Well, that’s the minimum since you can’t know when you’ll be attacked again after those 2 hours.)

We do not plan to reduce the timers because corporations need those days to evacuate if they decided to keep their assets there.

Vary the spawn point of roaming NPC spawns. Spawning them on teleports will not work.

They are already random.

Increase plasma from distress beacon NPC mobs by 25%.

Those are the very same NPCs like in normal spawns, with the same loot. If we increase it, it would increase everywhere.

Divide non-harvestable (orovya, etc) incubator price by 10, so they are dirt-cheap. It lets people play minecraft on Gamma without grinding crazy cash.

Yes they could be made cheaper, but we think it would be dangerous and could be used for massive griefing, as long as players don’t have a direct and easy way to destroy them.

One simple thing in my mind would be changing some of he fees for market ads from fixed rates to a better percentage rate. It's actually really hard to sell stuff for lower prices right now. Wierd, right?

We propose to set the transaction fee to be always 1000 NIC, regardless of order duration. Of course we would reimburse the connected extension in this case.

The base market tax would be reduced from 12% to 6%.

Spark Teleport: how balanced will be an ability to bring half of assets to an enemy beta terminal while keeping aonther half at your home base and then quickly teleport here and there for attacking/defence? I mean, beta terminals have no access restriction, that will make beta-1 islands more harder to defend.

You still have to transport your robots, weapons and everything to the “enemy beta terminal”. And once those are used up you still have to do it again and again if you intend to use spark teleports like this. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only issue I see with this is more fights on beta, and robots getting destroyed. (IF this will really turn out as a viable strategy.)

hmm, i wonder how you balance that new tier system with the existing research database of countless players and borked research system wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

And now the only other question i have, is when do you think this patch will be put on???

We have a new idea for making the tier system less linear and more accessible, it would look like this:
Normal tiered items according to the current system (new name in parentheses):
T0 (T0): stays as it is
T1 (T1): stays as it is
T2 (T1+): stays as it is, requires T1 modules to build like now
T3 (T2): remove current T2 modules from its components
T4 (T2+): stays as it is, requires current T3 modules to build
T5 (T3): brand new tier, no component prerequisites, uses colixum-based commodities
T6 (T3+): brand new tier, requires T5 to build
So the system would be built up of tier pairs, one normal variant that needs more “exotic” commodities as we go up in tiers, and one “+” variant that needs the normal as a component. The common trait of + variants would be lower fitting requirements than their normal variant. The important thing to note here is that higher tiers wouldn’t have cascading requirements anymore.
In the new system, tier designations for factional items would be:
T2+ -> T1F
T3- -> T2F
T4+ -> T3F
As for robot variants, the naming is yet undecided.

So does this simply just mean thr capabilities to produce modules on par with current T4+ or is this a new higher level of gear?

Personally i would like to a T5 T5L (light weight more similar to T4 in Damage but with less intensive) T5+ (heavy more damage) and leave the T5F unique and overall better.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

If you devs are going to give us a new tier of mods B***dy hell plz make the research system better.

71 (edited by Alexadar 2012-07-12 08:06:22)

DEV Zoom wrote:

“+” variant that needs the normal as a component. The common trait of + variants would be lower fitting requirements than their normal variant.

At last

DEV Zoom wrote:

The important thing to note here is that higher tiers wouldn’t have cascading requirements anymore.

Means, cascading requirements for manufacturing? Like, we wont need to make t2, for producing t3?
And, to make it clear, current t3 will be equal to current t4 except cpu and reactor requirements right?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Suggestion:
Remove infinite NPC-seeds for construction blocks, not just building foundations. Let the players set their own price and build their own market.

We can’t remove the NPC-seeds for construction blocks, because they require colixum to build, so new corporations setting foot on gamma wouldn’t be able to build a mining outpost.

Remove Colixum requirements from blocks, maybe? Still seems utterly absurd that you need to have a mining outpost on gamma before you can build a building on Gamma. You wouldn't have a T4 armour plate as one of the components of a T4 armour plate would you? (slightly different , I know but you get the point)

Beta should be a stepping stone to gamma for corporations so if you insist on Colixum being a construction block component how about colixum/construction blocks dropping as SAP loot or popping up in Gamma artefacts?

or ... and I might have mentioned this before ... remove colixum as a construction block component.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Suggestion:

I disagree, Colixium would be available to new corporations through mining Epriton (which has a chance to yield Colixium PL derivatives) or outright buying it from the market, or making trade agreements under the table. The infinite NPC-seeds coupled with low population are the main two symptoms why the market is dead.

Reduce emergency mode from 72 hours to 8-16 hour variables like Beta outposts. With 72 hour window between emergency times, it would take 9-12 days to take down a standard terminal which is way too much for such a cheap building.

I’m not sure if that’s a typo, but there is only a 2-hour window between emergency phases. (Well, that’s the minimum since you can’t know when you’ll be attacked again after those 2 hours.)

We do not plan to reduce the timers because corporations need those days to evacuate if they decided to keep their assets there.

The issue is that currently emergency phases last for 72 hours. 3 timers mean that attackers have to hit the outpost 3 times over 9 days otherwise the whole system gets prolonged. Current prices of construction blocks for a Standard Terminal are 87,5M NIC, plus 44,47M NIC for the foundation which brings us to 131,97M to erect a terminal.

131,97M translates to roughly 410k Reactor Plasma, which translates to 4 hours for Alpha farming and 3 hours for Beta farming in optimal farming conditions.

On top of already being cheap under current prices, you are making it more cheaper and easy to replace through construction block production changes. Hard to attack, cheap to replace; it will be the ultimate griefers tool.

Vary the spawn point of roaming NPC spawns. Spawning them on teleports will not work.

They are already random.

From my 1 month experience on Novaya Trava, roaming NPC caravans were only consistently spawning on the South teleport where they would just sit for days because the teleport was walled off. The rest of the island was completely NPC-free.

Increase plasma from distress beacon NPC mobs by 25%.

Those are the very same NPCs like in normal spawns, with the same loot. If we increase it, it would increase everywhere.

Where there's a will there's a way. Lucrative distress beacons available from elite NPC's and Artifacts would create a demand for them (something for new players and farmers to sell and aim for), as long as you removed them from Beta outpost SAP loot-tables. Remember, Intrusion 2.0 was intended to create more conflict but the only thing it created was loot-boxes players grab every 8-16 hours.

Divide non-harvestable (orovya, etc) incubator price by 10, so they are dirt-cheap. It lets people play minecraft on Gamma without grinding crazy cash.

Yes they could be made cheaper, but we think it would be dangerous and could be used for massive griefing, as long as players don’t have a direct and easy way to destroy them.

The direct and easy way is accessible through Chemical Bombs, which are cheap. The more cheaper way is for 2 players to shoot at each other, from my experience a tuner-fit Seth will clear out an entire Orovya grove in less then a minute.

It is a pretty poor and unimaginative way of griefing someone. Besides, you cannot stop griefing otherwise you will constantly be changing the game rules and mechanics... ah, yes. lol

One simple thing in my mind would be changing some of he fees for market ads from fixed rates to a better percentage rate. It's actually really hard to sell stuff for lower prices right now. Wierd, right?

We propose to set the transaction fee to be always 1000 NIC, regardless of order duration. Of course we would reimburse the connected extension in this case.

The base market tax would be reduced from 12% to 6%.

Does this mean you will remove the market extensions and reimburse them since it would render them pointless like the Reverse Engineering extensions? The system you are proposing seems rushed and needs more think-tanking less knee-jerking IMO. I would consider lowering complexity of market extensions to 1 and reimbursing the EP difference, making it more accessible for newbie players.

Spark Teleport: how balanced will be an ability to bring half of assets to an enemy beta terminal while keeping aonther half at your home base and then quickly teleport here and there for attacking/defence? I mean, beta terminals have no access restriction, that will make beta-1 islands more harder to defend.

You still have to transport your robots, weapons and everything to the “enemy beta terminal”. And once those are used up you still have to do it again and again if you intend to use spark teleports like this. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only issue I see with this is more fights on beta, and robots getting destroyed. (IF this will really turn out as a viable strategy.)

It will be a viable strategy, but the main benefit of it will be the cutting down on travel times. Currently, if I want to roam someone I have to spend 30-60 minutes only on deploying interzone teleport beacons and moving the whole gang through it, then roam, then spend another 30-60 minutes deploying interzone beacons back to base.

The manufacturing changes pretty much make end-gear production simple, easy and streamlined.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Cassius wrote:

... using the islands natural landscape to somewhat mitigate the costs of base construction, and choose a location carefully. How can this be bad?  And I suggested reducing Base terraforming, vs regular terraforming, as an incentive to make the players concentrate on Base building, not island isolation.

This.

Great Wall builders have been complaining that their 2bn NIC wall is too easy to terraform through and we should make it either cheaper to build or harder to knock down but maybe, just maybe, a 2bn NIC/100 man hour defence that can be breached with 500k NIC and 10 man minutes is the wrong defence.

Tip: run around gamma in a masked light ewar and look for a place to build a base whilst pretending that teraforming doesn't exist.

Keep terraforming expensive please.

Also, given that t5 and t6 will have heavy grid requirements, mk3 bots should have better CPU and reactor performance...
hmmm
Something tells me that anyone will be able to make clones of black-bots....