Topic: Rate of EP gain for future subscriber growth

I believe the higher up the food chain slower the EP growth , this gives people down the road a chance to gain ground on the earlier starters in the game if this doesn't change it will be one of the major rasons for the games downfall.
The other reason is that it rewards people for farming kills and pushes some people out from completing quests. Why do a supply side production when I can farm off kills?  quests reward nice and getting something of a kill is allright , but should not promote farming kills in a production based game. Most items that are needed should be bought off they supply/production side of the game. Not off kills.

Re: Rate of EP gain for future subscriber growth

We already have that with extension costs.  The higher up the extension you go the more EP it costs, effectively making each EP you gain later on less effective.

Why not just suggest that the higher levels get even more expensive than they already are, instead of just suggesting a completely new function into the game.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

A missle user capable of piloting a heavy mech with most of his related extensions at level 7 will take about 157 days to get to that point with no diversification.

Raising all related skills to 8 and some of the minor ones up 1 level (to 6 or 7 mostly)  it will take 249 days total.  Thats 3 months of game time just to raise all of your missile related skills 1 level, and not even to max.

Skills get insanely expensive at higher levels, especially the most complex ones.  To get advanced robotics to level 10 from level 9 it will take 41 days just for that 1 level.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

hopefully the effect of diminishing returns inregards to ep cost > skill bonus will keep the game playable for new arrivals

a brand new character with 20k ep can be quite effective i dont realy know what the problem is

The problem is in players perspective, or precieved reality, but in the actual reality of the game, its fine.  "Over time" progression is hard concept for most people to wrap their heads around without experience in the system.

Its actusly easier to catch up to end players in game like this or Eve then it is in a traditional themepark level based game.  But new players jump to conclusions and are turned away without even given it a chance.  Its a shame really.

I've been playing EVE for the past six years on two accounts pretty much nonstop, so the concept of training slowly over time gives me a warm and fuzzy.

Most people coming to an MMO like this one, however, will have just left a game where bashing things over the head for a few weeks straight, gets you to max level.

There is no "catching up".  You can only pilot one bot/mech at a time no matter how many EP's you have.  Yes, a veteran pilot will be able to pilot more types of mech and bots, or simply be very good with one race, but that doesn't mean you can't be competitive with good planning.

Also, give the game six weeks and most of the beginning areas won't be farmed as heavily as people will be moving farther out for better spawns.

Basicly this discussion has been held at multiple occasions across the boards of eve.

Ive played it since launch with multiple accounts (upto 6) and heard people complain about it all over.

I can understand the fact that new players will want to be more effective or feel left behind.
But when i flew around with my 100+million charachters i saw people with only 20 or 30 million causing havoc.

Also i believe and hope perpetuum will take a example and for instance raise starting ep according to the mayor base of players number of EP

For instance if the mayor number of player run around with 5million ep
Let the newer players start with 50K ep instead of 20K its not much but will give them atleast the ability to cruise around a accumulater stable assault bot at the start

SemT_X wrote:

I can understand the fact that new players will want to be more effective or feel left behind.
But when i flew around with my 100+million charachters i saw people with only 20 or 30 million causing havoc.

Also i believe and hope perpetuum will take a example and for instance raise starting ep according to the mayor base of players number of EP

For instance if the mayor number of player run around with 5million ep
Let the newer players start with 50K ep instead of 20K its not much but will give them atleast the ability to cruise around a accumulater stable assault bot at the start

This is one of the few ideas on the subject that I also read on the EvE forums at one point or another, and I agree with it.

It's not unreasonable to give the newer players a slight boost, based on how far ahead the remainder of the playerbase is or will be.

Although how to implement this and not have someone feeling cheated who say started a day or week before they changed it would be a problem I can foresee, but thats neither here nor there.

Same as with respec's given out in other games, there were quite a few I was a tad bit late for etc. But it was not a game breaking issue in my particular opinion..

But who knows, thats all up to the dev's in the end all we can do is make suggestions and see what they do with it.

And especially this subject, considering the game is so new, and people are already fretting over the people who got the EA boost alone.

Remember that what's worked for Eve isn't guaranteed to work here, as there is another player in the market. It's hard enough to convince a player to engage on a game where progression is based on subscription time, so if there are two of them, the new player may rather choose the bigger/older/more populated one.

In my opinion Perpetuum need to be different from Eve, and advertise these differences. And by different, I meant something more than WASD movement. Respec or increased EP for new players may be something really needed.

Also after the slow progression system, another thing that's putting a lot of players off is probably the multi-accounting. When I read that some people here had up to 6 accounts on Eve, I'm wondering if it's still worth playing PO with my single account. Try to imagine what effect it may have one someone checking the forums before subscribing? And unfortunately, I don't have any solution to this.

Nipa wrote:

Remember that what's worked for Eve isn't guaranteed to work here, as there is another player in the market. It's hard enough to convince a player to engage on a game where progression is based on subscription time, so if there are two of them, the new player may rather choose the bigger/older/more populated one.

In my opinion Perpetuum need to be different from Eve, and advertise these differences. And by different, I meant something more than WASD movement. Respec or increased EP for new players may be something really needed.

Also after the slow progression system, another thing that's putting a lot of players off is probably the multi-accounting. When I read that some people here had up to 6 accounts on Eve, I'm wondering if it's still worth playing PO with my single account. Try to imagine what effect it may have one someone checking the forums before subscribing? And unfortunately, I don't have any solution to this.

I agree that everything that works for EVE won't work here.  It's a very similar game at it's core, but then there are already huge glaring differences such as no tracking speed and transversal.. which are what I live by in PVP over there.

As for multiple accounts, I don't quite agree with you there.  The guys with multiple accounts are almost universally doing one of three things: 

1)  Gold farmers.  In EVE, these guys would make 10 accounts, have eight of them mining and two of them hauling and refining to sell the mins for profit... which they then sell to players.  It won't be long before you see this happening in this game.

2)  Industrialists setting up an efficient mining/hauling/industry chain.  If you don't want to log in every day and spam your corp mates to help you haul what you're mining, then the only other option is to get another account with a hauler on it.  This only helps the fledgling economy at this point, especially considering that most items aren't even for sale yet.

3)  Hardcore PVP'ers who want to focus all of their EP on their PVP character into being better combat machines.  These pilots rarely want to move their PVP character away from their home base just to do a few hours of grinding for NIC.  Instead, they create a second account that they use to generate income.

Rodo wrote:

I believe the higher up the food chain slower the EP growth , this gives people down the road a chance to gain ground on the earlier starters in the game if this doesn't change it will be one of the major rasons for the games downfall.
The other reason is that it rewards people for farming kills and pushes some people out from completing quests. Why do a supply side production when I can farm off kills?  quests reward nice and getting something of a kill is allright , but should not promote farming kills in a production based game. Most items that are needed should be bought off they supply/production side of the game. Not off kills.

I belive this is a bad idee